Detect Baby's heart beat in belly?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Detect Baby's heart beat in belly?

Postby 21andhoping » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Okay this is for a friend!
They go through this 'tradition' that they do not test, etc to see if they're pregnant.
I can see where most of you would think that is wrong but their babies are always very healthy around birth time. So I have this app on my ipad and it detects your heart rate. So I placed it on her belly after testing mine and it came up at 132-140 heart rate on her belly. So I checked her heart rate and it was in the 90s. So I put it back on her belly but as it is taking it she said it feels like flicks inside and when she feels it the heart rate goes away and when i move it around i can find it.

So is it possible that she is pregnant without taking a test because of this heart rate in her belly even though her normal rate isn't 132-140?
21andhoping
Friend

Re: Detect Baby's heart beat in belly?

Postby ceebeebee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 am

Personally i do not think a phone, or app would be able to do this successfully, if so why does anyone spend money on a doppler?! And just placing it on your belly is not going to be near the baby unless she is very far along and then would be showing?! Whenever i have had a doppler used on me, it was placed very low near my pubic region, and pressed in to get heartbeat.

If your friend thinks she is pregnant, would she not know from symptoms or a missed AF etc, esp as she has been pregnant before....sorry bit confused : s
Me: 35, DH: 36, DS: 15months
TTC #1: 10months BFP 1: 8th August 2013
DS born by CS on 12/04/2014 (6lb1.5)
TTC#2: 6 months BFP 2 : 16th July 2015
DS born by induction/forceps on 30/03/2016 (7lb9)
ceebeebee
Star Member
Star Member

Postby orionslight » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 am

I agree with the pp. I am not sure why the no testing, is it a religious thing? The best thing, tho this may just be my opinion, is to see a doc and find out. Good luck
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 21andhoping » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 am

The app is like a doppler. You hook a doppler piece to the ipad and put it on your stomach and it acts just like the one at the doctors. And my sister used it when she was pregnant with her son so I believe it works. She is a bigger girl so she won't be showing and she calculated how far along she was by her last period. Even though she is a bit irregular she has one every other month which is considered normal for her. We put it in her pubic region just like you said and it says a heart rate of 136. I was just wondering if it was possible that it could be the baby's or not. I read on another site that you have a vein in your belly and it apparently will show that because it's considered a main vein but i don't believe that is very true but then again I'm not a doctor haha.

It's not a religous thing her family just don't believe in it i guess. They believe that since people in the very old days didn't have doctors when they had children (like adam and eve kind of days) that they shouldn't start now. I admit they're kind of weird but hey different stroke for different folks. When they begin to show or know they're pregnant they do take prenatals. So I guess it's not all bad?
21andhoping
Friend

Postby Ashley E » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 am

Well, prenatals are actually more important in the very beginning and even before conception. So if they are not going to test then she should be on prenatals at all times.

7/12/2013- Surprise BFP :)
EDD March 21st, 2014 *stick, stick, stick*

It's a girl!!! Addy Scout Egerdahl <3

*Two angels in Heaven*
2/7/13 ~11 weeks
5/6/13 ~ 6 weeks
Ashley E
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ceebeebee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 am

How far along does she think she is then? If she knows from her last af. Plus agree with pp. She should have taken prenatals from conception, they are fundamental prior to 12weeks.
Your friend obviously has her reasons but a test is not seeing a doctor so if she really wants to find out itd be easier to pee on a stick. Plus she happy to use the ipad app?didnt have that in the olden days
Me: 35, DH: 36, DS: 15months
TTC #1: 10months BFP 1: 8th August 2013
DS born by CS on 12/04/2014 (6lb1.5)
TTC#2: 6 months BFP 2 : 16th July 2015
DS born by induction/forceps on 30/03/2016 (7lb9)
ceebeebee
Star Member
Star Member

Postby orionslight » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:49 am

Well to each his own. But infant and maternal death was much more common inte old days. Js
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sarahmarie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 pm

" You hook a doppler piece to the ipad and put it on your stomach and it acts just like the one at the doctors. "

Where do you buy one of these doppler attachments for your IPAD, can you provide a link please?

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 21andhoping » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:33 pm

True true but I was just wondering if it was possible to find out your pregnant that way.

You can get them off ebay but I have this app too which works amazing on my sister. All you need is headphones.
http://www.mybabysbeat.com/iphone/faq.html

But here's this when you download the app it links you to the Doppler it goes with.
http://www.apppicker.com/reviews/11412/ ... on-a-graph
21andhoping
Friend

Postby incubator » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:27 pm

I usually don't post negatively but I think this post is really inappropriate and has no place here. There are a lot of people here who have seriously struggled to get pregnant and suffered horrible losses. People who would do anything to have a successful pregnancy. Not seeing a doctor while pregnant or a midwife or something is wrong. Not just according to me. According to society and child welfare advocates. Late or no prenatal care isn't right and can be a factor in social services getting involved. Obviously a person doesn't want the best for their child if they aren't willing to seek some sort of medical care while pregnant. There are a multitude of diseases and conditions that can kill a baby in utero our affect them the rest of their lives that can be prevented and treated. This is just reckless and extremely frustrating. There are also serious conditions that happen very early in pregnancy that can be completely prevented with prenatal vitamins! Conditions like spina bifida and anencephaly (go look that up for fun). How would these people feel if their child died and it was preventable? Especially if she's that overweight? I'm a NICU nurse so I'm a little partial but I see a lot! Our babies depend on us to take care of them from the very beginning! Gestational diabetes alone can cause horrible defects and conditions all through pregnancy if it's uncontrolled! It affects a huge number of pregnant women! I can't waste anymore breath on this and I'm truly sorry for the negativity. Maybe I'm a little too hormonal today but I'm passionate about babies! Admin please feel free to delete this if needed.
Dh & I 29
Ttc 7 1/2 years! Numerous treatments (except ivf)
2 m/c, 2 cp, and lost my sweet little boy at 31 weeks Dec. 2006
Going to the Czeck Republic for our adopted embryos!
FET Sept. 17th!
9/21/13 BFP!!!! 4dp6dtImage
incubator

Postby SusanT » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Thank you, incubator for your post. I could not agree with you more!
Susan (36) Matt (37)

Expecting our first after TTC for 2.5 years!

9/16 - FET - transferred a 5 day 3AA embryo
9/20 - BFP on my birthday!

SusanT
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Second Trimester