Has anyone ever had very, very low PAPP-A

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Has anyone ever had very, very low PAPP-A

Postby armywife1980 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I got a call on Wed morning from the midwife. My genetic screeing results are in. I have extremely low chance for Down's etc but my PAPP-A results came back abnormal and are of concern. Normal levels are greater than 1MOM and mine came back at 0.18. Normally low PAPP-A would indicate a chromosomal abnormality if HCG was high as well (mine is actually low) but in my case it's indicating an issue with placental perfusion. Since they are less than 5% of normal it triples my chances for still birth, development of preeclampsia, low birth weight and IUGR. It isn't a guarantee that I'll develop any of these problems but my chances are substantially higher than that of a person with even just low levels. I've been finding lots of stories online with positive outcomes though their low levels are double what mine are but I have come across 3 stories where levels were the same as mine or a bit lower where mom didn't develop any complications and baby was fine. I am now taking low dose aspirin to help reduce the likelihood of the Pre-e, will be having another u/s at 24wk, 28wk, and starting at 32wks will be having NST's twice a week which will include an u/s at one visit each week to monitor baby's growth, fluid levels, placental functioning etc. I'm hoping I'm one of the few with levels this low that develops no issues as I've done the whole preemie thing before and it's not something I ever want to go through again. I'm trying to not worry too much but it's not one of those things that you get a false positive on like you can with DS, T13 or T18 since it's just the actual value itself. At my 20wk u/s everything looked perfect and he measure in the 66% I'm going with that for now until we see a change in him or my BP. I certainly wouldn't refuse any prayers that this is just a fluke and that nothing comes of it. FX for another healthy 19wks for my bub.
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Has anyone ever had very, very low PAPP-A

Postby orionslight » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I will pray for you and baby. Im sorry i have nothing else to contribute, but ill be thinking of you both.
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ashley E » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:45 am

I don't have any experience with this either, but wanted to tell you I am so sorry you are going through this. Thinking of you. :hugs:

7/12/2013- Surprise BFP :)
EDD March 21st, 2014 *stick, stick, stick*

It's a girl!!! Addy Scout Egerdahl <3

*Two angels in Heaven*
2/7/13 ~11 weeks
5/6/13 ~ 6 weeks
Ashley E
Star Member
Star Member

Postby armywife1980 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks ladies. I am remaining positive especially since a lot of these issues don't start to arise until the 3 trimester. Prematurity isn't ideal or low birth weight but I'll feel a lot better if I can get to at least 32 wks. I had my twins at 34wks and they did great and had no issues.
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Second Trimester