acid reflux issues

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

acid reflux issues

Postby candybeers2011 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:09 am

I'm nearly 17 weeks now and have been having tons of acid reflux. It's so bad that I can't lay down hardly. I hate so much and nothing seems to help it :( Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks
candybeers2011

Re: acid reflux issues

Postby Laina0605 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 am

Small meals and sleeping propped up a bit. Also antacids are safe to take while pregnant. If I couldn't have had Zantac and tums my last pregnancy I would have never survived!
Carrie (32) Jeff(36)
DD born July 11/12
DS born Aug 5/14

Laina0605
Angel
Angel

Postby sarahmarie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 am

I also have a big problem with this during pregnancy. You need to figure out what is triggering the reflux. For me it's spicy foods or eating too quickly. I have been doing really well avoiding acid reflex this pregnancy, and then this weekend I eat one tiny little hot wing and I was up for half the night with a burning belly. I like to try to seek out natural remedies before resorting to antacids or anything else like that when I'm pregnant, so what I have found that works the best and the fastest is to eat something very alkaline to neutralize the acid. I think a glass of milk or celery seems to work the best. I have also read that applesauce and oatmeal are great. Hope this helps you, I know that heartburn and reflux can just make you miserable, but just think of all the pretty hair that your little one will have and it makes it all worth while..... :wink:

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby armywife1980 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

A shot of apple cider vinegar or dill pickle juice will send it packing. I have it horrible with all my pregnancies. I ate oatmeal today and ended up miserable. Toward the end it's so bad that I'll have dreams of being in a fire and inhaling smoke only to wake to the burning in my throat or nearly vomiting on my husband. It's the only thing I've found that works well for me.
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Whig » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:19 am

I've heard drinking vinegar or mixing a tsp of baking soda with water and drinking that helps. I've done the baking soda thing and won't do it again, I burped and burped for hours afterward! I usually drink a glass of milk or use antacids, although I'm trying to be a good girl and stay away from the things I know will cause it (although that doesnt always work because it seems like everything causes it). Also, as much as it stinks, try to keep sitting up after you eat instead of laying on the couch or what have you. That has helped me too.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DD #1 - Cecelia Kathryn - June 18, 2011
This baby is another GIRL!!!! - Calliope Jean
Whig
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby LeeAnnS » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:21 am

What helps for me is drinking Enos, or having a glass of lime and soda water mixed.
Ive read you should drink lots of water during the day and try to avoid greasy food. I get acid reflux every single night so i experiment with every remedy i hear of but the ones i mentioned above helps best. You can also try a glass of luke warm water with a squirt of lemon juice.
Good luck.
LeeAnnS
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Ashtonsmom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:36 am

Well it didn't help that I have acid reflux without being preggo but now its like 5x worse. I was already on pepcid as a daily regimen in conjunction with a daily allergy pill (seemed weird because I didnt know how pepcid was supposed to help with allergies but it is an antacid + histamine blocker). When I got pregnant this time I stopped the pepcid until checking with my doctor, however my allergist told me to stop the pepcid to see if just my allergy pill would work by itself for my allergy related problem (this random itching all over/chronic dermatographism or something).

I did however I started taking it again randomly for the acid reflux when I felt the reflux was going to be a problem. For me its anything tomato sauce based, ranch dressing and fried foods that make it worse. Tums doesn't really help me this time, but it did the first go roumd. Laying propped up when trying to sleep has really helped. I hope it gets better for you.
DS1: 5
DS2: 1
DP: 32
ME: 31
It's a GIRL!!
20wk 5d :hb: 153bpm
Ryland Alyse due Nov 12.15

Ashtonsmom
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Second Trimester