Preterm Labor?! PLEASE HELP!!

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Preterm Labor?! PLEASE HELP!!

Postby shaylynn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Sorry this post is so long but I would appreciate any input from anyone who has gone through something similar or has any helpful info

I am 25 weeks pregnant. Since week 23 I have been having BH contraction (basically just feeling tightening of my tummy but with no pain and very irregular) well one night at the end of week 24 those contractions stared becoming regular and about 15 mins apart. I took a bath, drank some water a laid down and in about 4 hours they went away. They didnt hurt but were definitely uncomfortable. Well then a few days later the same thing happened (about 10 mins apart, still uncomfortable went away after about 5 hours)

After the last episode of contractions I woke up with horrible cramping. I swear if I wasnt pregnant I would think AF was going to start any minute. At this point I called my dr and they told me to go into L&D. When I got there NST didn't pick up any contractions and they were going to send me home. But before I left I insisted they check my cervix. To the nurses surprise my cervix was very low, very soft and she said she thought it felt as though it was partially open. They gave me a shot of terbutaline and checked length of my cervix which was good so they sent me home.

I followed up with my Dr. 2 days later... He never checked my cervix (not to see if it was soft, open or even length) but he did perform a fetal fibronectin which came back negative so he told me I was ok to continue normal activity. I'm just very concerned because cramping has been very consistent and never seems to go away. Last night once again I was in quite a bit of pain with the cramping 4-5/10 Its in my back and wraps around to the front of my belly. Im an MA so I know how to check a cervix and so I checks mine and It is still very low very soft (really no difference between vagina walls and cervix) and does feel as though it is partially open. Along with the cramping in my lower stomach I have had a lot of heaviness (more then the normal weight of baby) and a the feeling like I cant get my stomach muscles to relax.

My questions is have any of you gone through this and how concerned should I be?? My DH is constantly wanting me to go into L&D but I just dont want to go and them just send me home (This my 2nd pregnancy but first ended in miscarriage at 8 weeks so I just dont know what is normal and what is not) but I really feel like something is going on... PLEASE HELP!!!
shaylynn
Friend

Re: Preterm Labor?! PLEASE HELP!!

Postby Family Starter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't have any experience on this but didn't want to read and run. If this was me I think I would go back to L&D if happens again, for peace of mind. Maybe they can explain better what is going on to stop you worrying. It's definitely worth being tested again for signs of preterm labour just in case as they may be able to prevent it progressing. So sorry I can't really help and I hope everything works out OK. KUP
Me (30) DH (41)

:bfp: 28/09/2013
DS 2yo

:bfp: #2 10/04/2016
Family Starter
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby shaylynn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you so much!
The fetal Fibronectin was done on weds... and i've been cramping consistently ever since... I'm thinking about calling the hospital and finding out what they think I should do :) I really appreciate the response!!! :)
shaylynn
Friend

Postby SusanT » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:10 am

I agree with Family Starter that if it was me, I would go back to L&D too. Better to be safe and get checked out even if it means being sent home every time. This is my first so I don't have experience with this either but just wanted to say I hope everything is ok. I'm sure you have been so worried and scared. Please keep us posted! Hugs!
Susan (36) Matt (37)

Expecting our first after TTC for 2.5 years!

9/16 - FET - transferred a 5 day 3AA embryo
9/20 - BFP on my birthday!

SusanT
Addicted
Addicted

Postby shaylynn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:23 pm

So I ended up back in L&D yesterday because I was having contractions about 3-5 mins apart. They weren't extremely painful but the definitely did hurt. Once I got there they monitored me and realized I was contracting and my cervix was still soft and now 50% effaced. They checked length of my cervix which was good 3.7 cm so they sent me home. I'm just very confused as to why they would send me home at 26 weeks when i'm contracting regularly (and have been for over 24 hours now) with everything else thats going on. Needless to say i'm very frustrated :/
shaylynn
Friend

Postby chantellee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this! Is there another hospital close by that you can go to? Or to speak with a different ob who will really listen and be proactive or at least give you answers to why things are being done this way? I can't believe they sent you home while you're having contractions still. It's something they should be stopping before you go home.

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby justhoping » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:15 pm

i dont see why they would keep you as it has not caused alot more with your cervix that what usually does start to happen around this time. Just most people are not aware of it. Alot of people have something called a irritable uterus which makes u feel the Bh alot more then other people would...

I myself would slow life down...try and keep off ur feet as much as possible or even put urself on bedrest for 48 hours and see how you do....it may improve how your feeling...

if it does continue you may want to ask about the medicine trabutaline (sp) spell check is refusing to work sorry)...it is to help stop the contractions, there is a pill form you take when you are home...Im usually on it from 4 months on...

I go into preterm at about 4 months and my cervix and my cervix starts to open...but its something if your very concerned to talk about with your doctor and see how it goes from there, but definitely slow life down..go on bedrest for a day or two as well.

i think ur body is telling you to do that....
justhoping
Friend

Postby justhoping » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:13 am

hey how are you feeling...has it eased up at all?

I hope your ok xoxo
justhoping
Friend

Postby Lovelivesinme2014 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:20 am

It's your body follow your gut if you feel like you keep going into labor don't wait on doctors orders as they can make mistakes too bed rest your damn self. This sounds like a serious situation and I say why take a chance. I bed rested myself with my last son when I had any concerning issues. The way I see it is that God trusted me to bring this baby into the world safely not the Doctors or anyone else, they are just here to assist. Of course go to L&D, but if you feel like you don't need to be going back to your normal routine you DON'T need to be going back to your normal routine. Listen to your body before you listen to people <3 Good luck and well wishes

Lovelivesinme2014
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Second Trimester