Group B Strep?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Group B Strep?

Postby AbbieM17 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Just got back from my 17 week visit and my ob told me that I tested positive for Group B Strep. Apparently, if left untreated, it could definitely affect the baby. He said we would test for it again around 36 weeks and if I still have it, I will have to be hooked up to an iv during delivery, which stinks. Has anyone else tested positive for GBS? I've never heard of it until now, but apparently it's pretty common. Just want my little baby to be alright!
AbbieM17

Re: Group B Strep?

Postby victoria_1024 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Weird that you got tested at 17 weeks??? I've never been tested before 36 weeks. GBS can come and go, it's really normal for women to have it at some times but not at others. It's entirely possible that you won't test positive for it at 36 weeks, which is why it seems unusual to be tested for it now.

I tested positive my last two babies. They do hook you up to an IV, but you only have to be hooked up to it for 20 minutes every 4 hours. In between that, you have an IV lock in and are free to move around, labor in the tub, or do whatever without having to drag an IV pole around with you. I'ts really not a big deal at all. My last baby came too fast and I didn't get antibiotics in time, and he was fine, they just had to monitor his bloodwork closely.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsJenniferB » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Don't panic! While you tested positive, its actually rather common and as long as they give you antibiotics via IV, everything will be okay. I am pregnant with #5 and I've tested negative with all but one pregnancy, my first. I haven't been tested with this pregnancy yet, however.
DD ~ 10, DS ~ 6, DD ~ 2, DD ~ 2 months, Pregnant with #5!
MrsJenniferB

Postby Happyfroggy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Yep! I tested positive a week ago! It was part of the standard urine/blood tests for my first trimester prenatal visit.

Crappy thing here, once you get a positive they don't bother re-testing you. You are permanently labelled "GBS Positive"

It's not that big a deal, just means you have to get IV antibiotics as a precaution during labour. They don't treat it with oral antibiotics because they usually aren't that effective against it and it just comes back.

It just sucks because I had a really long labour last time and if you have GBS they recommend going to the hospital sooner rather than later so that you can get started on the antibiotics soon. I'd rather labour at home and go to the hospital later on like last time.

I am soooo annoyed I got positive. :mad: oh well, there are worst things obviously. It's more of an inconvenience than anything.

Oh and if you have a fast labour and don't get the IV on time, you have to stay at the hospital longer after birth (typically 48 hours) so they can monitor your baby. Again, not a huge deal but more of an inconvenience since no one really likes staying extra time at the hosptial.
Happyfroggy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby specialkel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 pm

For your best shot at testing negative at 36 weeks and not having to bother with preventative antibiotics, get yourself on a probiotic supplement pronto! (Unless you *really* like yogurt and can alternatively commit yourself to eating a big bowlful every day. The idea is to flood your GI tract with good bacteria.) It may not work, but it certainly won't hurt, and will provide various other health benefits.

These acidophilus "pearls" are my favorite: http://www.vitacost.com/enzymatic-thera ... capsules-5
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Happyfroggy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Not a bad idea specialel!

However, it depends where you live. Where I live, they will not even test you again once you've gotten a positive (aka they cancel the swab you would normally get at 35 weeks). Once you get the GBS label there's no removing it! So where I live, even if I did that and managed to get rid of the GBS, I would still have to get the IV antibiotics no matter what.

:?
Happyfroggy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby specialkel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 am

It's too bad they test you for it so early. GBS is one of those things that can come and go. Since it's only relevant at the time baby passes through the birth canal and could possibly become infected, it makes no sense to me to test for it so far before delivery. (Other than the fact that it is just a convenient time for them, since they're already in the "neighborhood" - LOL) Frustrating!

While I typically take a probiotic supplement along with my multivitamin when not pregnant (a cheaper one than what I linked!), sometimes I slack on it, or run out and then go a month or so before buying another bottle. However, I always start taking the Pearls religiously along with my prenatal once I find out I am pregnant. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that I have never tested positive, but again, probiotics provide so many health benefits that it's worth taking them whether you're trying to prevent/remove GBS or not. They help with bloating and constipation among other things so IMO that is reason enough. :)
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Littlemissbroody27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 am

I tested positive last week - they dont even routinely test for GBS in the UK but I'm being tested for invections in general as I had a 20 week loss last year so thats why they picked it up, I will be tested again but they have put me on antibiotics now to get rid of it and hopefully it'll stay away!
I'll be on IV antibiotics in labour - what is classed as a fast labour - in which they maybe dont get the IV into you quick enough? I only live 20 mins from my hospital - so would most likely be there with 30 mins of my waters breaking so i'm hoping that will be quick enough!
Littlemissbroody27
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Second Trimester