Baby Shower

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Baby Shower

Postby kuroneko4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 am

I know it seems a little early to be discussing this, but I have family who's already trying to plan a shower for me! :)

I get the feeling that only my family will throw me a baby shower; since I have a fairly large family, it will just be a family shower. That being said, I've had many, many friends who have said to me that they just can't wait for a shower invite and to buy us little boy clothes. However, I also know these friends and none of them will throw me a shower - none of them threw me a bridal shower a couple years ago, though I wouldn't hesitate to throw any of them a shower if the roles were reversed. I could be wrong, but the majority of them just aren't "mature" enough to think about throwing us a shower. That all being said, it would be absolutely wrong of me to put the financial burden on my family to host a super large baby shower; I've done the math, and we would be inviting close to 70 people with both sides of the family, our friends, and our mothers' friends combined!

So, here is my question: Would it be wrong, or "tacky," of my husband and me to throw our own "couples shower" in our home and invite our friends, to help alleviate any potential burden on my family? It would be super laid back, just have drinks and some heavy appetizers, and just hang out! Has anyone else ever been in this situation? It's not that I'm trying to sound greedy, but rather I don't want any of our friends to be left out and ultimately resent us for leaving them out. Thank you!
Me - 28
Him - 27

Heartbeat at 6 weeks 5 days = 130
Heartbeat at 11 weeks = 155
Heartbeat at 20 weeks = 144
Heartbeat at 30 weeks = 140

We're having a BOY!

kuroneko4
Friend

Re: Baby Shower

Postby Lovelivesinme2014 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 am

Do what you want it's your first baby and you deserve to celebrate how you want for you not others :D

Lovelivesinme2014
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby LittleRed117 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 am

I see no issues with it! :)
Me: Kalynn
Hubby: Richard

IT'S A BOY!!! Due 12/19/14: Baby Noah

LittleRed117
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrobyn22 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:25 am

I've definitely heard of people having one shower for family (especially if you have a very large one) and another for friends/couples. Sounds like a great idea!
Melanie: 36
DS: 8/31/96
2001 MC at 5 weeks
DD: 8/14/03
DD: 6/27/06
Tubal Ligation 4/2007
Tubal Reversal: 6/7/13
TTC #4 (#1 for DH) since 7/2013
BFP: 9/11/13 MC: 9/18/13
BFP: 1/2/14 MC: 1/10/14
BFP: 5/21/14 EDD: 2/3/15
-17dpo beta: 954
-21dpo beta: 5757 (37hr doubling time)
-24 dpo 1st u/s: one gestational sac with one yolk sac measuring 5 weeks 6 days
-31 dpo 2nd u/s: one baby with a heartbeat of 120bpm measuring 6 weeks 2 days
Meredith Reagan born: 1/30/15

BFP: 10/3/15 EDD: 6/17/16

mrobyn22
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MrsJ » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:09 pm

It isn't a shower exactly but you could have a meet the baby party at your house shortly after baby is born, people will totally buy your baby stuff and the nice thing about that is you will know what items he really needs, and everyone can get their baby fix! Appetizers and drinks would be good to have and if you aren't breastfeeding or you want to pump and dump you could totally enjoy a cocktail and a little chit chat time with your girlfriend while some one has your lil one occupied!! This is something my husband and I have been talking about doing, And another plus to having an after baby is born party is that it will cut down on the traffic coming in and out of your hospital room! I dunno about anyone else but I hated having all those people in my room at all times!
MrsJ
Angel
Angel

Postby Mamahen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

I really like this post baby party.... my aunt wants to throw us a baby shower. This is my second kid, but my first is going on 6, I have NOTHING from when she was a baby and this is my second marriage and his first kid. So in a lot of ways, it's like a first. I still feel uncomfortable doing an all out baby shower since I already "got one". Isn't a baby shower the kind of thing you do for first babies and then after that you're on your own for seconds and thirds?

Plus, I hate throwing showers like this for myself (or having one) because I personally don't like attending them... why would my friends want to come to mine? They will... but everyone secretly wishes it was over sometime after their first glass of punch. ;) Maybe we can brainstorm ways to make it a shower worth attending - like with an open bar and stuff. ;)

Martha
Me: 36 DH: 31 DD: 5
Trying since Aug 2013
Polyp removed April 2014
BFP June 2014!
11Week HB 144bpm
IT'S A GIRL! Materniti21 Results all good

Mamahen
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MrsJ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:58 pm

My mom said it's a first baby only thing. My daughters are 9 and 7 and of course I have nothing and this is my husbands first too. I personally think if someone wants to throw you a shower though you should let them, but don't have it at your house!! Maybe a place that has a banquet room, serves food and booze :) IDK
MrsJ
Angel
Angel

Postby Notaloneanymore » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:46 am

I think you can do whatever you like.
I have had 2 showers and my friends plan to throw me another.
For us it's more of a catch up with tea and cakes
With some decorations and small presents thrown in.

I love attending showers so I don't see the harm in It
Mc at 7w dec 2013

First round of clomid April 2014
:bfp: at 14dpo cycle 20 May 2014

found out we are expecting a little girl!

Image}
Notaloneanymore
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Second Trimester