20 week ultrasound - spot on heart?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

20 week ultrasound - spot on heart?

Postby kalyn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 am

We are having a boy! Everything is 100% normal, except for this little white spot (ecogenic foci) found in the left ventricle of the heart on ultrasound. Doctor says when found alone it is really nothing to worry about, the only time they worry is when it is found along with another abnormality - could mean higher risk for defect. But when found alone, they really cant explain it. Has anyone heard of this?
kalyn
Friend

Re: 20 week ultrasound - spot on heart?

Postby ABelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:13 pm

I haven't heard of that but congrats on the baby boy!!!
Me {Anne}- 33 :hi: (Hypothyroidism, Single A1298C MTHFR, Endometriosis, ANA neg)
DH- 41. (amazeballs) :wiggle:
Married since 2005. TTC 60 months!

2 Lap Surgeries, 3 HSGs, 4 rounds of Clomid, 3 IUI's, 1 IVF cancelled (cysts) = all :bfn:

ABelle
Angel
Angel

Re: 20 week ultrasound - spot on heart?

Postby v0mich01 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:30 pm

First of all, my boy has two things, he had a couple of spots on his heart, and shortened femur(it was measuring behind our dates by like 4 days, but everything else was measuring ahead.) both of these a "soft markers" for down syndrome. But because of them, the tech checked my boys nuchal fold, which was within normal ranges. I had this scan done 4 weeks ago, and honestly haven't heard the results from my ob, this is all just from me googling, we had some other issues come up, and I've had to cancel a couple of appts, but I have one of Friday, and I'm going to ask about it. I am not concerned about it very much, mainly bc DH has a long torso and shorter legs, so I kinda feel like he's just got his daddy's legs. I had a congential heart defect, so we have another fetal heart echo scheduled for 28 weeks.
here is a pretty good article on thingshttp://sandiegoperinatal.com/ours ... nsyndrome/, the spot on the heart alone is a low level risk marker, only effecting your odds by 2(so if for your age you have a 1 in 1000 chance of having a baby with downs syndrome, it ups it to a 2 in 1000.) I would ask your doctor at your next appointment, just to be sure. Best of luck
Miscarriage August 2013.
Expecting our rainbow after ttc 23 months! Conceived with IUI + clomid bfp 9piui

Beta #1 11dpiui: 53
Beta #2 13dpiui:109 doubling time of 44 hours.
Beta #3 19dpoiui/4w5d: 1394
First ultrasound May 15 at 3:30pm

Our ttc/baby journey http://waitingonourwelcome.wordpress.com/

v0mich01
Angel
Angel

Return to Second Trimester