Totally recommend an elective gender scan

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Totally recommend an elective gender scan

Postby sunmaid » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

I'm almost 16 weeks. We were going to wait until my anatomy scan at 19 weeks to find out the gender but when I found a place that did it for a mere $55, I was more than tempted. But alas, $55 can go someplace more useful. Like a new car seat.

My mom is going into surgery today and then we will find out if she has cancer or not. We all hope it's not, but expect the worse. Over the weekend my mom wistfully said to me, "I wish I knew what you were having". So I called up the ultrasound place and made the nearest appointment. I mean, just in case. She could be fine, she could have just a cancer in situ, stage IV metastasis and not live till the baby is born or die in surgery. But I can't think about those things. Expect the worst and hope for the best.So we went ahead and got the scan.

Wow, it was REALLY nice. Our family couldn't make it so it was just my husband and me (with our 3 year old at the sitter). The ultrasound bed was large and comfy, the room was dim with flameless candles, soft music was playing and the screens were HUGE. And the ultrasound quality was EXCELLENT. The tech was SO NICE. It was a really awesome experience. I wish we got a video of the scan but we didn't opt to pay extra. We just wanted to know the gender. But we got to see her wiggle around and the tech focused on cool stuff, like her face and her hands and feet. We heard the heartbeat and saw her moving her mouth in a sucking motion. It was SO WORTH the $55.

Probably around 28 weeks we will get a 4D one. I am so glad we splurged. It was such a pleasant, happy experience. Definitely recommend getting an elective ultrasound!
Me - December 30, 1980 33 years old
DH - June 1, 1975 39 years old
Weston Jason - May 24 2011 3 years old
Baby #2 - DUE April 9, 2015

Want to convert your home and shop green? Would like to earn a residual income as well? Talk to me about a company that specializes in helping families reach their goals, whether it be financial or wellness. http://www.melaleuca.com
sunmaid
Angel
Angel

Re: Totally recommend an elective gender scan

Postby Mamahen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 am

$55 !?! Where is this? We did a genetic test this time since I'm "old" and stuff so found out gender right away. But for my first kid we had no maternity insurance. Our 20 week ultrasound - recommended by the doctor for abnormalities, etc... was like $500 out of pocket! Every ultrasound we did, even the quickies were a couple hundred.

It sounds like got to do someting awesome - congrats on finding out the gender and keep loving the journey. :)

Martha
Me: 36 DH: 31 DD: 5
Trying since Aug 2013
Polyp removed April 2014
BFP June 2014!
11Week HB 144bpm
IT'S A GIRL! Materniti21 Results all good

Mamahen
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Totally recommend an elective gender scan

Postby 80's Baby » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:29 am

Right?! $55? I need an address! Mine always cost over $200. And let me tell ya, there's no candles and music! :rofl: I'm glad it was so amazing for you. :)
Me- 29
DH- 28
DD- 11/2007
DD- 02/2012

TTC since March 2013 - Dr. found 2nd degree uterine prolapse
Chemical - July, 2013 :angel:
BFP - January, 29 @ 9 DPO
March 18 - :angel: :angel: D&E@ 10 weeks
August 19 - bfp @ 9 DPO!
TWINS! Due May 1st
October 1 - Baby A :angel: Baby B - Heartrate 162

November 24 - It's a girl!