Reassurance needed please!

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Reassurance needed please!

Postby Hev » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm

I've posted in April DDC but am posting here too because I'm so worried! I bought my Doppler yesterday and have used it 4 times but for quite long periods as the instruction book didn't say anything about limiting use and I love hearing the HB. However I've now seen loads of stuff online about heating the baby up and causing damage. I'm so worried I've hurt my baby and will of course limit use from now on but I wish I'd known this before! Do you think four long-ish sessions in a day and a half will have caused harm? I had trouble finding the HB so was looking for a good while (I wasn't worried but I'm quite a determined person so I carried on until I found it). I now realise that maybe it was hard to find because baby doesn't like it :-( I've got a month until my next u/s and don't want to be panicking until then! Any help is much appreciated x

Me:33
DH:33
Married 16/09/2006
03/12/14 - 20 week scan - IT'S A BOY!!
Hev
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Reassurance needed please!

Postby shadypersephone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm

No worries! I think the heating up issue is only for really powerful devices (like the ones in the doctor's office). And you would feel that the wand was getting warm. Try to limit to under a minute, but I really wouldn't worry too much. I use mine frequently, but keep my sessions to under a minute. Just enough to find the HB and listen for a second.
6/24/2014 3w3d :bfp:
2/26/2015 38w4d: Gwendolyn Anne arrives!
shadypersephone

Postby Hev » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I will do that in future, thanks! Am trying not to worry too much but it's difficult - the Doppler was supposed to reassure me!

Married 16/09/2006
Hev
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby shadypersephone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm

I love my Doppler for that reason. For some reason, our DDC had a lot of losses and I think it made a lot of us a touch paranoid. Anything that helps get through that anxiety is worth it in my book. Just wait until little bub starts moving! I've been using the Doppler less because I can feel her. But my husband still wants to listen every few days or so because her kicks aren't hard enough to be felt on the outside consistently yet.
6/24/2014 3w3d :bfp:
2/26/2015 38w4d: Gwendolyn Anne arrives!
shadypersephone

Postby breezy_boo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:07 am

I really doubt the one time use would be an issue. Also if you were using it so long because you couldn't find the heartbeat it's unlikely the baby was even getting the waves, they are extremely directed, which is why it can be hard to find- this is my understanding of it anyways.
I know I'm in the minority on this site- But that is the exact reason I did not get an at home Doppler. There have not been any studies to show the effects on the baby of repeated exposure. Personally I am not okay with that. Maybe it's perfectly fine... Maybe it's not. I do not want to worry myself even further that I'm potentially causing some abnormality.. I feel we really don't know enough at this point.
Due December 15th- It's a Girl!!
breezy_boo
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Mamahen » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:38 am

As soon as I could feel kicks I lost all interest in the doppler. Is this your first? You might not recognize the kicks yet... but you'll be feeling them soon! Some babies are more active than others, though. :( The doppler was hard to use at first, because even when you find your target if it moves at ALL the sound stops. And all the white noise obscures it. Try to have faith everything is going well while you wait a couple more weeks for the movement to be more obvious!

I can feel active baby a bunch in the morning, a bunch around lunch and a bunch after dinner... sometimes as I'm falling asleep or when I wake up in the middle of the night. If I haven't felt baby move all day, I get a little worried, and then I get a glimpse of fluttering and that's good enough. :)
Me: 36 DH: 31 DD: 5
Trying since Aug 2013
Polyp removed April 2014
BFP June 2014!
11Week HB 144bpm
IT'S A GIRL! Materniti21 Results all good

Mamahen
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Hev » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I'm feeling much better today. This is my first and I've been feeling flutters for the last week or so. I liked the Doppler because it made me feel very connected to the baby but I definitely won't be using it very often now! Once I feel proper kicks I probably won't bother at all. The flutters are becoming stronger and more frequent and I love it!

Married 16/09/2006
Hev
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Second Trimester