Sleepless night, is it dangerous?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Sleepless night, is it dangerous?

Postby 3-liz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:01 am

Hi,

Due to my vet student life, I'll have 3 night shifts and I won't be able to sleep at all since I'll have class during the day.
I'm a little concerned for my baby, I'll be 17 and 18 weeks pregnant.
Is this dangerous for the baby?
Me 31, Him 32 Both french living in Barcelona
TTC #1
BFP at cycle 3 @11dpo

Our little girl is here! Charlie is born on sept 1st 2015!
3-liz
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Sleepless night, is it dangerous?

Postby lauren818 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Obviously, you should check with your doctor, but I don't think it's dangerous for baby per se. But it may not be good for you but it sounds like there's not a lot you can do about it. I would try to sneak little naps when you can (if possible) and make sure to stay hydrated and keep your blood sugar up. Even if you can't sleep, try to put your feet up periodically to help prevent swelling or discomfort.

I'm also a student and once my professors found out I was expecting, they were very accommodating, so if there is a class you can miss w/o serious repercussions, you may want to approach the professor and explain the situation. Otherwise, maybe you can trade with someone so you don't have to do 3 nights in the same week....?
me-30, DH-33

BFP at 10 dpo - 11/24/14

Beta #1 (18 dpo): 994
Beta #2 (20 dpo): 2550
Beta #3 (21 dpo): 4005

U/s 1: 12/16/14 - 6w6d by LMP; measuring 6w. Fetal pole 4.5mm and HB of 108!
U/s 2: 1/28/15 - 13w by LMP; measuring 12w6d! HB of 148-153 and lots of wiggles!

2/2/15 - IT'S A GIRL!!!!! + InformaSeq results all negative!

U/s 3: Measuring behind again but looks great - sucks her left thumb just like I did!

U/s 4: All caught up - again! We have a little yogi :)

lauren818
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Honey Bunny » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes I agree with lauren, talk to your dr. Im not sure how much an effect it would have on baby, since remember if your moving, you basically rocking them to sleep, and they are pretty much sleeping on their own time. The only thing to worry about would be if the no sleep can impair you from doing other things.. Will you need to drive to and from? Operate any other machines, or other things that do require you to be fully awake, and focused. God forbid anything happens to you because of the lack of sleep. Just really take it easy, and try to see if they can be accommodating to you, like lauren said, maybe you can switch.
Me: 27
DH : 53

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia
Born: July 17th, 2015

Baby # 2 EDD JULY 16th, 2016 - Team Green Again!

Honey Bunny

Postby emmi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:56 am

I would also check with your doctor, because no sleep at all doesn't sound very good. Not sure if it would affect the health of your baby but it will affect yours.
emmi
Friend

Postby 3-liz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 am

My shifts were last week, and it went well.
It was 2 nights (not in a row) and I was able to go to bed VERY early and sleep 6 hours just before so I felt good :)
Me 31, Him 32 Both french living in Barcelona
TTC #1
BFP at cycle 3 @11dpo

Our little girl is here! Charlie is born on sept 1st 2015!
3-liz
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Second Trimester