Does it really get better?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Does it really get better?

Postby Fairy Wings » Sun May 17, 2015 4:56 am

I'm 11 weeks 1 day pregnant and have been having a really hard time. When I'm not in school I'm just laying around trying to recover and I typically have saltines, ginger ale, and something to throw up in nearby. M/s used to only come on at night but now its all day long. I'm so tired I sleep 10 hours at night and take a 2-3 hour nap in the daytime and I never feel refreshed. How many of you have actually felt less nausea and more energy in the second trimester? Did your m/s (those of you who had it) get worse at the end of the first trimester? I think because my m/s started so early in my pregnancy I'm just really burnt out on feeling this way all day every day and I'm desperate for an end to it lol.
Me: Jenna

BFP 3/27/2015 - 1st pregnancy

7/06/2015 18 w 2 d (measuring 18 w 6 d!) :babyb: IT'S A BOY! :babyb:

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Does it really get better?

Postby Ashtonsmom » Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 am

Hey fairy wings.....glad to hear your SCH resolved! Great news!

Well i'm on my 3rd pregnancy and every one has been different. The first I was full of energy but threw up until about 30wks however it was certain foods I came to know would make me sick.

2nd pregnancy I carried super low so it took a toll on me physically. I threw up until about week 16 and unfortunately with that one I didn't have a clue what would make me sick. Smells were extra amplified which contributed to sickness. I didn't have much energy with him especially the bigger i got.

this pregnancy I have not thrown up one single time BUT I end up having the nastiest tastes in my mouth which makes me nauseous and feel like i want to throw up. I am always super tired and like you no matter how long I sleep I could always use more. I suspect my energy is down this time tho because I have 2 children to still take care of which means no real rest for this pregnancy. From running back and forth after a busy 11month old to driving my 5yr old all over town for practices and school etc, on top of driving 35-45mins to work everyday for an 8hr workshift! Omg I just want it to be over already. I am trying so hard to enjoy but the lack of energy makes me grumpy and weepy!

I hope things get better for you. There's not a magic feel better pill in pregnancy some women magically feel better in 2nd trimester and some don't. I hope for you that you will. Just know it may not happen right away!
DS1: 5
DS2: 1
DP: 32
ME: 31
It's a GIRL!!
20wk 5d :hb: 153bpm
Ryland Alyse due Nov 12.15

Ashtonsmom
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Fairy Wings » Sun May 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks Ashtonsmom! It would be so nice to know exactly when its all going to end, wouldn't it? I was just wondering if its true that it gets better, in general, for most women, or if its just another pregnancy myth, lol. For example, I hear all the time that women feel the best they've ever felt, during pregnancy, the ENTIRE pregnancy. I'm just not sure if I believe them. Maybe later in the pregnancy but I doubt the entire time. My mom even tried to tell me that but I see pictures of her while pregnant and she looks like she felt awful. Maybe they are talking about the emotional aspect? I get that. I do feel the happiest I've ever felt. I do hope you feel better sooner than later this time around! My fingers are crossed for you. :D

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Pinkpuma » Mon May 18, 2015 1:54 am

Hi Fairywings, sorry to hear you're still feeling rubbish. Like Ashtonsmom said I think every pregnancy is different. With my first toe I felt a bit tired in the first trimester but that was it. With my third I was throwing up til 20 weeks (although not daily) I also bled throughout and had gestational diabetes so can't say I felt great! This time is the worst regarding tiredness and sickness. I'm 12 weeks now so hoping things will settle down but we'll see! Hope you start feeling better soon.
DD1 13.11.93
DD2. 28.5.97
MMC 13.8.13
DS1 1.5.14
Pregnant again EDD 29.11.15
Pinkpuma
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby kayemjay1 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 am

Hi Fairywings! Sorry to hear you're still feeling badly. I know each woman's pregnancy is different, but I started feeling gradually better at about 11 weeks. I'm 14 weeks now, and feel great! I hope things start looking up for you soon!
Me (Kathleen): 28
DH: 32

2 awesome fur babies
Expecting human baby #1 November 15, 2015!

Team Green!

8w5d: baby measuring right on time! :hb: 175
15w3d: No chromosomal abnormalities detected!
18w2d: :hb: 145
19w5d: Anatomy scan- baby is looking healthy, and measuring 6 days ahead!

kayemjay1
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby s4mm13 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:40 am

My doctor has said that tiredness begets tiredness. In other words sometimes it can make you feel even more tired if you sleep a lot! Sounds crazy but try going for a gently walk or swim, you may find that it's enough to re-energise you a little and help you feel a little more human again.

Keep eating small and regularly and hopefully you'll notice an improvement in the nausea in the next couple of weeks.
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Postby sgrumbling21 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 pm

I was sort of lucky in that I didn't really throw up in the first trimester. I got dehydrated and did once but most of the time I just felt pretty crappy and tired. I started feeling better around 13-14 weeks and I wasn't as tired but for the last two weeks or so I have been feeling just so exhausted, but that mainly has to do with the fact that I get up 2-3 times at night to pee (which is new, I used to be able to sleep through the night) and I wake up super early. I am off work right now so I wake up naturally when my body wants me to. It also doesn't help that I've had a cold this last week but things will get better!! And if it doesn't then just keep reminding yourself that you are going to get a beautiful baby at the end of it!
Me- 25
DH- 28
#1 EDD 10/12/15
13DPO beta 55
15DPO beta 126

2/23/15 First ultrasound Measuring 6w5d HR 128
3/5/15 measures right on time! HR 171

4/29/15 It's a GIRL!!!!

Natalie born 09.18.15 @2302 5lbs 9.4oz 18in long! She is my tiny, amazing little baby girl!
sgrumbling21

Postby justxher » Tue May 19, 2015 1:37 pm

hmm I had all-day nausea, food aversions, and general constant misery for most of the first trimester, and just as I hit 12 weeks it seemed to get considerably better. I rarely have to take my anti-nausea pills now and I seem to have enough energy to be productive during the day, and I can eat a lot more food than before. So it got better, and hopefully will continue this way :D
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby Sumia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Uhg girl I know how you feel. My nausea was awful and I was throwing up constantly! I was either maintaining my weight or losing it most the time. I found out that Icebreakers Cool Mint helped me when I got nausea. I would pop 1 to 2 at a time and just suck on them. It only gave me like 20-30 min of relief but it was enough to eat and keep it down. Also taking the prenatal at night helped me too.

I went from feeling bad everyday to once - twice a week around week 13. Week 14 was once a week and even now sometimes I get small bouts of nausea but its not bad at all! It goes away. As far as feeling tired, yeah thats not gone. I work late afternoon to early morning though so I usually still sleep 10 hour nights but I dont need naps. :) Your close, just a little longer!
BFP: 3/8/17
DD born 10/16/15
6/28/17 It's a BOY! Image
Sumia
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Fairy Wings » Thu May 21, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks so much for all of your responses ladies! It really helps to hear that most of you had a rough first trimester and things got better. I keep running into all of these ladies (family and friends) who tell me either they weren't sick at all and they felt great the entire time or others who were sick the entire time so I haven't really talked to anyone that didn't have an extreme pregnancy either way. Its nice to hear some stories from the middle ground, which is where I seem to be. I don't consider my symptoms to be that extreme compared to some women I know, but its can be draining dealing with it all day every day. I'm trying to stay positive and enjoy what I can. I have noticed that being more active helps. I'm also going to try not to take naps unless I absolutely need them and see if that helps. At least I'm almost there. If I still feel sick at least I get to see my belly getting huge and feel baby kicks soon. :D

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Second Trimester