14 Weeks and having trouble

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

14 Weeks and having trouble

Postby RayleeLynn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi everyone. I am new here and wanted to introduce myself my name is Ashlee. I am 28 year's old and have had 2 losses. I am 14 weeks pregnant right now and this is the time I lost my last baby at and I worry. I have seen bubs a few times on ultrasound. However, got an fetal doppler for my home usage. I recorded an heartbeat on my phone my doppler picks up an heartbeat of 174. And, it doesn't match my heartbeat but could an artery be this fast? Am I hearing baby?

Watch "14 Week Fetal Sounds" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/EelcubuUjM8

And my Second video
Watch "14 week Fetal Sounds" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/RiwQ5rrSob4
RayleeLynn

Re: 14 Weeks and having trouble

Postby EnglishRose » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Hey hope you are well I would say with a hb that fast Jr sounds like baby to me. If you are at all worried just call your midwife I'm sure with your previous loss (so sorry to hear about that) that she would understand you wanting to check everything is okay :)
Me: (Hannah) 25
DP: 25

BFP 26/12/14

Baseline HR 130 BPM <3

Team Green

EnglishRose
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby RayleeLynn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Thank you EnglishRose. I have another scan here in a week. I just couldn't figure out what I was hearing lol. They said it would sound like a horse galloping or train and it didn't sound like either to me.
RayleeLynn

Postby Tange86 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:54 am

I don't recommend at home dopplers. Ive seen so many women on hear freak themselves out and the worst part is they can cause false security. Ive also seen women post pictures of the Doppler causing old c section scars to start to come apart and ooze.

I have yet to see a lady be thankful she had a Doppler.

Keep your head up Lady! Every time is different, stress and worry cant be helpful. Like English said, keep in touch with your midwife, let her help you through your worries.
Me:29 Him:33
Our First

March 28th :bfp: @ 9dpo
March 30th: beta 85 @ 11dpo
May 7th: 1st Appt, Measuring 9weeks :hb: 169
May 28th: 12 week, Labs are fantastic, heard the placenta on the left and baby in the middle!
June 3rd: NT Scan, Labs came back great, Expecting a Healthy Baby! 12,6 weeks :hb: 151
June 24th: Elective Ultrasound :future baby girl:
August 3rd: 21,4 :hb: 140

Photo Shoot Preview:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133247983@N02/sets/72157653052901175/with/17820142181/
Tange86
Angel
Angel

Postby Liza24 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:32 am

Tange86 wrote:I don't recommend at home dopplers. Ive seen so many women on hear freak themselves out and the worst part is they can cause false security. Ive also seen women post pictures of the Doppler causing old c section scars to start to come apart and ooze.

I have yet to see a lady be thankful she had a Doppler.

Keep your head up Lady! Every time is different, stress and worry cant be helpful. Like English said, keep in touch with your midwife, let her help you through your worries.

what do you mean, False security? Either there is a heartbeat or there is not. Meet this woman who is GLAD to have hers! After first trimester bleeding and worrying, I find comfort in listening to the baby once a week or so and hearing that beautiful heartbeat.
Me:37
DH:48
Connor: 6
BFP #2!! 9/24/2015

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Liza24
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby justxher » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Same here, Liza. I don't know what i'd do without my doppler! It's such a relief to be able to hear baby's heartbeat
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby Tange86 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:59 pm

The false security is the fact that just because there is a heart beat doesn't mean there isn't an issue. It could possibly reassure a woman enough to not call or go to the doctor.

Everyone will make their own choice. I prefer not to bombard my child with energy waves that can cause birth defects. I have also seen where dopplers have caused womens c section scars to tear back open and ooze. Not just new ones but ones that are years old.

If it works for you great. I just believe in doing personal research. You can also get a fetoscope it does the same thing but its safer.
Our First

May 28th: 12 week, Labs are fantastic, heard the placenta on the left and baby in the middle!
June 3rd: NT Scan, Labs came back great, Expecting a Healthy Baby! 12,6 weeks :hb: 151

Photo Shoot Preview:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133247983@N02/sets/72157653052901175/with/17820142181/
Tange86
Angel
Angel

Postby alecita1987 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Tange I understand what you mean, but I would like to point out that false reassurance doesn't come until later on in the pregnancy. If you're already feeling baby movements every single day and one day the baby seems to not be as active as it was before then checking the HB doesn't really mean anything as there could still be something wrong regardless of the baby having a HB or not. In cases like that you should definitely contact your doctor to let them know that there's been a decrease in baby movements.

However, before you feel any movement or before you're able to feel enough movements to know your baby's activity pattern, there's nothing to reassure an anxious woman but the HB. And yes, the baby having a healthy HB doesn't guarantee that everything's fine. That little heart could stop beating tomorrow for unknown causes but the point is that TODAY it's still beating and that means the world to many of us. As a woman who has been through a missed mc, to me it's such a relieve to know that my baby is still alive cause I know from experience that no bleeding or cramping doesn't mean anything! I carried my first baby for 10w even though it had died at 6w. I wish I would've been able to tell early on in my pregnancy that something was wrong instead of believing that everything was fine. The anxiety that comes after a mc is really strong and sadly to many of us it doesn't go away until later on. I have good days where I don't even check on the baby and then I have bad days in which I have to do it in the morning before getting out of bed because my anxiety won't let me start my day until I get reassurance. On top of that I barely have any symptoms so I have a hard time relaxing and letting go of my fears. Honestly I don't think I'll be able to stop worrying and feel like myself again until I have this baby in my arms.

Also, dopplers are approved by the FDA to be used at home. Obviously you should not be listening to the baby's HB for hours multiple times a day. But once you learn to find it, it really only takes you a couple minutes to get it, then you listen to it for another minute and put the doppler away. Simple as that. I've done some research and the doppler is basically just a sound amplifier which doesn't cause any more harm than a regular U/S does. Some women have lots of U/S during pregnancy with no contraindications.

To each his own, but I'm another happy user of home dopplers. Yes they can cause anxiety initially when you're having trouble not finding the HB because it's too early in the pregnancy or because you can't grasp the concept of how to use it and how to identify different sounds, but once you get better at it and the baby gets big enough for you to catch that HB then I don't see a problem with its use. I just don't think that it's a good idea to discourage a woman from simply wanting to have some reassurance, especially after they've been through something as bad as a mc.

I won't comment on the C-Section scar issues as I don't have one so no reason for me to care about that. If I ever end up with a c-section I'll make sure I look into that.
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby Tange86 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:20 pm

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm095508.htm

This is from FDA.gov and it clearly states : These devices, which are used for listening to the heartbeat of a fetus, are legally marketed as "prescription devices," and should only be used by, or under the supervision of, a health care professional.

I don't know where you read they were approved by the fda unless you meant that they can be used, then yes. But not legally without a prescription and under supervision.

Many people assume that because you can buy them off amazon that they are safe and approved.

I have also suffered a loss as well as many of the women on this site. I just encourage proper research and understanding what is being read. I chose limited ultrasounds and Doppler use by the midwives because I wanted to limit the exposure and harm caused to my child. We cant do testing on babies so proper research is never done and we should stay on the side of caution.

Doppler use is considered most dangerous in the first trimester. It also takes women longer to find the heart beat and there is more exposure.

On the flip side the stress of not knowing can also be dangerous.

So like I said before to each their own. We will all continue to believe what we want and I don't expect minds to be changed, I just often end up the devils advocate.
Our First

Photo Shoot Preview:
Tange86
Angel
Angel

Postby justxher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:23 am

I just read your article and it clearly states that there is no evidence of harm caused by dopplers or ultrasound technology.

It is a fallacy to say that anything that hasn't been studied on pregnant women cannot be considered safe. I'm sure there hasn't been studies on other things too.. like for example, eating pineapple during pregnancy and whether it causes birth defects. That doesn't mean it's unsafe. There is no scientific reason why a Doppler could be harmful to a fetus so there is no reason to fear it. The only potential harm is in overheating tissue, which only happens if you hold it in one spot for a very long time.

Pregnant women should not be scared into avoiding foods they like and activities they enjoy just because of some internet articles and blog posts.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby Liza24 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 am

Once i did the research, and found the proper way to use the Doppler, I found my baby's heartbeat within minutes, would listen long enough to get a good reading ( maybe 90 seconds) And then put it away. I would use it once a week or so ( from 11 weeks on), and that's all I do now.

I talked at length with my OB, and she said using it like that is safe, as its what they do at every visit as well. Once I feel the baby move more, the less I use the Doppler. Too each their own, but if don safely as can be, it does help new moms to be feel better about things.
Me:37
DH:48
Connor: 6
BFP #2!! 9/24/2015

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Liza24
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby nstraka » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:56 am

A rate of 174 should be the baby. From what I've read, the placenta will be around 110-120. For me, the heartbeat sound changes quite a bit depending on what I'm picking up...sometimes it sounds like galloping and sometimes more just like a beat. I've had 4 early losses and have had spotting in this pregnancy...my doppler greatly reduces my anxiety. Just a personal choice.
It's a girl! Surprised us and came 3 weeks early via c section. 6 pounds 5 ounces.
nstraka
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby orionslight » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:14 am

I know its an old post, but for anyone else who is worried my doc says its fine to use a Doppler, and encourages me to use mine everyday since I've lost babies in the second tri before. They are fine. And does it ever make me feel relieved!
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Second Trimester