Braxton Hicks

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Braxton Hicks

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Hello I was wondering if anyone else has been having braxton hicks? I have been having them off and on since 15w when they came on with over-activity like loading the dishwasher, bending over multiple times. yesterday (21w1d) i went into L&d because they started early in the day and kept on throughout the afternoon even after drinking water and juice and laying down for 90 min. Im carrying my girl low and they said i need to wear a belly band and sit during work (i usually stand and sit multiple times and hour- a choir teacher) I also was getting bh while walking for even just short distances. Im not sure how i can exercise if just walking causes bh. Im a bit more cautious because ds was a preemie, although i didnt go into labor with him, just a bit paranoid.
Me: Rhonda 37, DH: Brian 38, DS: Elijah 6
Angel Baby April 2014 :angel:
Missed miscarriage baby passed @8w2d miscarried @12w2d-April 12,2014
Chemical May 2014 :angel:
After fertility treatments
Natural BFP TEAM PINK!!!
Rhondalynn77
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Braxton Hicks

Postby SarahCHW » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 am

I haven't experienced anything like that. I hope you find something that works for you soon! Keep us updated.
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Fairy Wings » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:51 am

Its good that you got checked out. I started having BH about 20 weeks but around 28 weeks they started happening more frequently and more intensely. The day before I was 28 weeks I had more than 6 an hour for two hours despite drinking lots of water. I called my OB and went to L&D and they put me on a monitor. Of course I only had one while I was there but they told me it was nothing to worry about and sent me home. The next two days I had them all day long. I had an apt the following Monday and kept a log over the weekend and showed it to my doctor and he didn't seem worried. I had over 50 a day that weekend. He said it was a lot but that I wasn't dilated or effaced and an ultrasound showed I had plenty of amniotic fluid. He also did a fetal fibronectin test (negative) which looks for proteins associated with pre-term labor. I know its scary and I would definitely make sure your doc knows what's going on but for me it doesn't seem to matter whether I rest or am on my feet all day. I have had them all day when doing absolutely nothing and some days much less when I'm on my feet for 12 hours straight (or vice versa) so activity doesn't seem to matter. That's just my own experience though. What is your doctor saying?

Here are some definite triggers I've noticed:

Getting up from sitting or lying down (try getting up really slow and use your arms instead of your abdominal muscles)
Not enough water
Full bladder (from drinking more water to try to calm the BH lol)
Fetal activity
Stress
Growth spurts (when I notice my baby bump has grown)

I would say if you notice that yours are definitely related to activity, take it easy as much as possible. You know your body better than anyone. :D
Me: Jenna

BFP 3/27/2015 - 1st pregnancy

7/06/2015 18 w 2 d (measuring 18 w 6 d!) :babyb: IT'S A BOY! :babyb:

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Thank you Jenna, for your post. They had gone away mostly, but the last 4 days I have been having more. I have already visited L&d 3 times over the past 2 months to get checked out, two times for contractions, once cuz i thought i had a uti (which turned out just to be the baby on my bladder making me feel like i have to pee all the time). The last time i went in they did a trans vag us, and my cervix was closed and still barrel shape (vs cone shape if you are going into labor) that did much to calm my nerves. Right now they are more noticeable contractions that take my breath away, but usually no more than 3 in an hour and my hospital says 4 or more in an hour to go in. Now i figured if its really something, it will get worse, if not, im fine. I see either my regular ob or the high risk ob every two weeks, so that is comforting. I use a belly band and drink my required 8 cups a day of water, sometimes more.
And yes, they come while resting or activity, along with the things you have listed, along with some others, like gas! :) and yes having to pee especially with the increased water and the baby kicking my bladder! I will see if i notice when my belly expands if i have more.
Me: Rhonda 37, DH: Brian 38, DS: Elijah 6
Angel Baby April 2014 :angel:
Missed miscarriage baby passed @8w2d miscarried @12w2d-April 12,2014
Chemical May 2014 :angel:
After fertility treatments
Natural BFP TEAM PINK!!!
Rhondalynn77
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Second Trimester