15 week gender scan ever wrong ?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

15 week gender scan ever wrong ?

Postby Leasha20 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 pm

We just had an early gender scan at a 3D ultrasound office. For the last few weeks everyone has been telling me it's a girl, I also thought baby was a girl. I have a son and this pregnancy is the complete opposite of my last pregnancy. Has anyone ever had an early scan be wrong? The tech told us we are having a boy!! I am excited to be having a baby period after going through IVF but part of me was hoping for a girl. Has anyone ever been told a boy and then had it be a girl?
Leasha20
Friend

Re: 15 week gender scan ever wrong ?

Postby justxher » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:51 am

Do you have any photos you can post? By 15 weeks the genitals are pretty well developed, but that being said there is always the possibility of a scan being wrong.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby Leasha20 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:37 am

I just added the photo. I just don't want to start buying boy stuff and then get a surprise but after sleeping now on it last night and looking again I think it's def a boy
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Leasha20
Friend

Postby alecita1987 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm one of those old school ones who only trust a gender scan after 16 weeks lol. That's the week where genital organs are (on average) fully developed in most babies. That being said, some babies do develop a little earlier or later than others but there's no way to know how fast (or slow) your baby is developing in there when it comes to gender and all of that.

From the picture it does look like a boy although I would have preferred for the pic/angle to be a little be more clear before trusting it 100% to be honest. Your anatomy scan should be coming up in the next few weeks and you'll have confirmation then. I'm sure the baby shopping can wait a little longer lol.
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby rosebud1978 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm carrying twins. At a 14 week scan (3d) and at my 18 week scan I was told that twin right most probably was a boy and they couldn't see twin left. At both these scans we were shown what looked like male genitals but we were told it my just be the placenta.

At my 20 week anatomy scan I was told I was having 2 girls. Not that I'm not happy about it but I'm not 100% about the answer as the tech took one quick scan and decided within a minute they were both girls. Hey he's trained and what do I know.
rosebud1978
Friend

Postby alecita1987 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:39 pm

rosebud1978 wrote:I'm carrying twins. At a 14 week scan (3d) and at my 18 week scan I was told that twin right most probably was a boy and they couldn't see twin left. At both these scans we were shown what looked like male genitals but we were told it my just be the placenta.

At my 20 week anatomy scan I was told I was having 2 girls. Not that I'm not happy about it but I'm not 100% about the answer as the tech took one quick scan and decided within a minute they were both girls. Hey he's trained and what do I know.

Can you get a second opinion? I'm sure you could get a gender scan at a private place. Since you'd be paying out of pocket they should guarantee a correct answer and even make you come back later if for some reason it was hard to determine the sex of one of the twins because of positioning and stuff like that.

I mean, I know a healthy baby (or babies in your case) is more important than anything else, but it's also frustrating when you wanna go shopping and start nesting/decorating and you don't have a definite answer. Unless you decided to be team green of course.
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby rosebud1978 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:32 pm

I agree healthy babies amongst all else is what we want. We decided to go for neutral new born clothes just in case and paint the nursery pastel green. DH won't allow me to paint it pink anyway even though they are most likely girls.

I went back to my regular Dr and the reason why they told us to girls is that it looks like they are sharing the same placenta. There might have been 2 placentas which maybe be fused who knows until they are born but there is a strong likelihood they are identical!
rosebud1978
Friend

Postby chorse37 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:23 am

I know this thread is a little old but I'm intrigued by your comment, rosebud, and ignorant on the subject I guess. Shouldn't it be very obvious if they are fraternal or identical? I know within the identical group, it can be difficult to tell if they are mo/mo or mo/di, but fraternal would always be in separate sacs, right? Did you have an early ultrasound before 10 weeks? With my identicals, they were very clearly in the same little bubble together, and the ultrasounds I've seen from around the same time with fraternals they're very clearly in their own little bubbles. Does that get harder to distinguish as they get bigger and more mature?

I'm totally not trying to challenge what you or your doctor said - I really want to learn about this!
Me/DH: 28; together since 2006
TTC #1
BFP 7/29/15 Due 4/09/16 :angel: missed MC 9/1/15
BFP 10/28/15 Due 7/10/16 IDENTICAL TWINS! :angel: :angel: missed MC 12/13/15

BFP 03/05/16 Due 11/13/16

chorse37
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby AmberESL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

chorse37 wrote:I know this thread is a little old but I'm intrigued by your comment, rosebud, and ignorant on the subject I guess. Shouldn't it be very obvious if they are fraternal or identical? I know within the identical group, it can be difficult to tell if they are mo/mo or mo/di, but fraternal would always be in separate sacs, right? Did you have an early ultrasound before 10 weeks? With my identicals, they were very clearly in the same little bubble together, and the ultrasounds I've seen from around the same time with fraternals they're very clearly in their own little bubbles. Does that get harder to distinguish as they get bigger and more mature?

I'm totally not trying to challenge what you or your doctor said - I really want to learn about this!

With any twins, if they are the same gender, it's impossible to know that they are not identical until after they are born / you have genetic testing done. If the zygote splits, but splits early, the twins can be both di/di and identical. (I think about 30% of identical twins are di/di?)
If they are that close together and possibly have a fused placenta, then identical is definitely possible!
--Amber (Me: 32 DH: 31)
EvilSockLady on TTC boards
Welcoming Adelaide "Addie" June
Born January 19 -- 8lbs 11oz -- 21.5"
AmberESL

Return to Second Trimester