For moms of boys

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did/will you circumcise?

yes
68%
no
26%
not sure
6%

Total votes : 31

For moms of boys

Postby clara855 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm still on the fence, do you plan to or did you circumcise (sp?) your son?
Natural Birthing, Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Tandem nursing, Crunchy mom to: Benjamin- 12/25/07 and Annabelle 9/29/09
Image Image
clara855
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby christiebaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 pm

ABSOLUTELY...YES!!!
christiebaby
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby christiebaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:37 pm

And DON'T think that you are putting your son through pain. Come on... 8O 8O 8O In my opinion it is something that needs to be done. The whole "hygeine" (sp) issue, you know!!! Also, I would not want my son to be made fun of. Sad that people would, but also VERY true!!!!
christiebaby
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby my3sonz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:43 pm

yes
my3sonz
Friend

Postby GingerBaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:45 pm

christiebaby wrote:And DON'T think that you are putting your son through pain. Come on... 8O 8O 8O In my opinion it is something that needs to be done. The whole "hygeine" (sp) issue, you know!!! Also, I would not want my son to be made fun of. Sad that people would, but also VERY true!!!!

Please stop spreading propaganda and educate yourself on the matter. I'm sorry, but if you are going to have an opinion atleast let it be an informed one. Right it wouldn't hurt, just like it wouldn't hurt if your labia were cut off. What 'hygiene' issue is this you are writing about, can you explain?

:hb: 128 bpm @ 7 weeks
:hb: 158 bpm @ 9 weeks 4 days
:hb: 165 bpm @ 13 weeks 3 days
:hb: 160 bpm @ 17 weeks
:hb: 159 bpm @ 25 weeks
GingerBaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby christiebaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Excuse me??? DO NOT TELL ME TO EDUCATE MYSELF HONEY!!!!! And do NOT tell me my opinion needs to be an informed one. It is just that...MY OPINION!!!! I did NOT say that it doesn't hurt...I just don't think that it has to be looked at as if you are "hurting" your son!!! THAT'S IT!!! What I meant by the whole "hygiene" thing...well, to be honest is clean.

What you can have an opinion and I can't??? Yeah, real fair and mature!!!!!
christiebaby
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby GingerBaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:03 pm

Let me apologize if that seemed harsh, it's a passionate and emotional subject for many, myself included. It's a cultural norm in the United States, with no modern medical research pointing towards benefits. People who now endorse routine circumcision of infants spread propaganda to justify mutilating their babies. So, if you want to be part of the cultural norm and carry on a tradition of mutilating your baby boy than do it, if you feel comfortable. If you want to inform yourself on the risks, the lack of benefits and the brutality of it, it might change your mind, or maybe not if you are in it for the looks of his 'cut' penis. You won't meet many doctors who can tell you why you should get it done but you'll meet many who will tell you why you shouldn't. I guess in the end it's up to you and not your son, right?

edited: Christie, you're right, your opinion can be as uniformed as you like.

GingerBaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby christiebaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm

Okay, I DO understand where you are coming from. You have your opinion and I think that's great. I really do!! What bothers me are now the choice of words that you are using. Mutilating??? Really...come on now!!! I was just giving MY OPINION and in no way was trying to inforce it or push it on anyone else. YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME!!!
christiebaby
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby ducky2possum » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm

***Edited to fix pregnancy induced wrong initials! APA is a writing format...AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics. DUH! lol

This is going to end up being a hotly debated topic. I feel it is a very personal decision. While both my sons ARE circ'd, I didn't get a choice with either. My middle son was born with hypospadias, a condition in which the opening to the penis is in the wrong place. They use the foreskin for reconstruction. So, when he was 6 months old, he had surgery under general anesthesia and got that fixed and was circ'd at the same time. My youngest son (or will be if this one is not a boy--don't know yet!) is adopted and was placed with me when he was 7 months old. Although he IS circ'd, it was a veyr poorly done one and you can't really even tell he is. I have taught him to pull back what is left of his foreskin, to clean it very well by washing, etc. He is just fine.

Now fast forward to other things: you CAN request your baby boy be numbed for the procedure. There are several different ways to do this, the most common being EMLA cream and then a local block out of lidocaine ( or something similar)...I am sure even THAT causes pain to some degree...shots hurt and that area is tender. Some practitioners will not do this, but I would suggest finding one that WILL if this is important to you.

As for my vote---I didn't. I don't know that we will get this baby circ'd. I truthfully don't see a need in it and I can't stand the thought of something going wrong. My dh doesn't seem to care one way or the other. Many little boys in my area are NOT done. (I teach preschool, so I get to kind of see a lot! lol)

I must add...I have seen several circs done while in nursing school. (long story there...I dropped out of that and went on to be an education major!) The baby's do cry. It does appear to cause pain. They are also really ticked off by being strapped down to the board that is used to circ. It is a quick procedure and there are a couple of different ways that I saw to do it. Both had benefits, both had risks. I didn't think I would get my first son circ'd, but medically had to do so.

I truly think this needs to be respected as a personal decision. There really is no right or wrong answer. What is good for one, might not work for another. I also do agree with a previous poster who was concerned about teasing issues. Kids DO get teased. However, they are going to get teased about something anyway. ONce again, personal choice. Also, see what the stats are in your area. Ask your ped, your OB, how about calling the hospital where you will deliver? What is the percentage of boys that are circ'd and are not circ'd?

Last...just a friendly reminder to check your insurance coverage. When the AAP stopped recommending routine circumcision, many insurances dropped coverage for the procedure.

I wish us all the best of luck making a very hard decision. I, for one, will not pass judgement on anyone whatever they decide.

Here are a couple of links from the AAP website that might give you some more information.
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZJZMEMH4C.htm?&sub_cat=1
http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZ13FOPIUC.htm
Last edited by ducky2possum on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tracy, momma to Hannah,12, Chandler, 9, Dustin, 8, Cassidy (born Valentine's Day 2008)and wife to my soul mate, Darrin.
Cassidy Rose, 2-14-08, 7lbs7oz, 18 inches long
:hb: Our sweetest Valentine! :hb:
ducky2possum
Angel
Angel

Postby GingerBaby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 pm

That was a wonderful reply Tracy and interesting to read from someone who was in nursing school.

GingerBaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:48 pm

wow. i didn't realize this was as hot a debate. i choose not sure. simply for the reason that i'm not. i haven't put thought into, or research it yet. and i make sure to weigh the pros and cons of everything. i am leaning towards not circumsizing just because i don't see the need for it. and as for it being the "norm" and being teased. that is the problem of the teasers parents. for not teaching them that everyone can be different.

df is not. and it doesn't make any difference to me. i can't tell during intercourse.

so i'm staying on the fence until i talk to my midwife for more information. or do some reading online.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm

p.s. can anyone give links (in both sides. for and against doing it)
and tracy. what is the board you were referring to? they have to strap their whole bodies down??
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby clara855 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Sry I totally forgot how contraversal of a topic this can be. I kinda see both sides, I mean I woudln't even consider cutting anything on my daughter. However DH is circ and he rly wants his lil boy to look like him. I guess I understand that along with the fact DH ended up with his circ at 12 due to a tree climbing incident (yah... he doesn't go into detail but was he climbing NAKED?!?!) and he doens't want his son to go through what he did, but it seems like a pretty rare accident. Either way if I do decide on in I am 100% definately insisting on some sort of numbing cream or shot. I can't imagine having to go though that or any procedure w/o pain management.

*sidebar* is it just me or is my sig that shows how far along I am suddenly not working?
Natural Birthing, Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Tandem nursing, Crunchy mom to: Benjamin- 12/25/07 and Annabelle 9/29/09
Image Image
clara855
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 pm

yeah, it's not working, i had to redo my tickers today too. it's weird.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Second Trimester