For moms of boys

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did/will you circumcise?

yes
68%
no
26%
not sure
6%

Total votes : 31

Postby ducky2possum » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Yes, they strap them down on a papoose like board. It has velcro straps, holds legs apart, and arms out to the sides. (there may be more than one type--this is the one I saw). It is called a Circumstraint.
Tracy, momma to Hannah,12, Chandler, 9, Dustin, 8, Cassidy (born Valentine's Day 2008)and wife to my soul mate, Darrin.
Cassidy Rose, 2-14-08, 7lbs7oz, 18 inches long
:hb: Our sweetest Valentine! :hb:
ducky2possum
Angel
Angel

Postby ttc3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 pm

I am the Mother of identical twin boys with another boy on the way. Both my boys were circumcised. One was born with hypospadia and like a previous post needed it done. Prior to them being born I had decided to go ahead anyway. My husband is and wanted them to "look" like him. I was in Junior High when a close male friend of mine went through a circumcision because he was tired of not looking like everyone. He was off school for a couple of days and in pain. When my boys (now 5) were circumcised as babies there was topical anesthesia and some crying. After that they were fine. I am also sister to two grown brothers. They were fathered by different men. I remember that as children they "looked" different than each other. As a woman, I asked my Mom and she told me that she had done with each what their respective father wanted. The brother that was NOT circumcised was embarrassed and remained a virgin FOREVER. I never knew why, my other brother told me. This also made my decision easier when it came to my boys. It's sad that's it's mostly a social issue but that's what it came down to with me. I could argue the hygene thing but I don't remember either of my brothers ever having a problem and if they did they may have been to shy to share it. Good luck making your decision, it was a no brainer for me.
ttc3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ttc3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:19 pm

And yes, the babies do get strapped down on a board. Some Obgyn's do it at their office and they can show you the board. I do not reccommend being there. One of my girlfriends thought it was awful but I told her that with my hormones I would have leapt and turned the sharp instrument at the Dr and when she had her boy she understood and had her husband be there. My husband and Mother in Law were there for one of my boys. The other was done in surgery and I was in the waiting area because he was under general anesthesia. That one was medically necessary.
ttc3
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Rebecca_Lori » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Well we have one son and another on the way and i am most definitely all for circumsizing. It was never an issue with us. My hubby is circumsized and me and my hubby really wanted are son to look like daddy..i didnt want him wondering when he was older why he looked different. Plus my mother-in-law had 2 boys, my hubby and his brother, and circumsized them both, she told me about the hygeine thing. It being sorta hard to pull back and clean under it, especially for little boys who dont really like being clean to begin with. Also my dad( I didnt know this until my mom told me because obviously my dad wouldnt tell his daughter something like this lol) But anyway, my mom said my dad wasnt circumsized as a baby and when he was 18 he had to get it done due to numerous infections he had as a child. She said he went through soooo much pain at 18 years old...I mean c'mon how many men can actually tell you they remember being circumsized and it hurting as a baby. I would never want any of my boys to have to get it done later on when it will REALLY hurt! My mom said my dad always wished his mom would have done it as a baby for him. My hubby laughed when I asked him if he remembers being circ'd as a baby and it hurting lol....my son actually didnt cry... he had a pacifier and he just squirmed a bit and whined but stayed sucking on the paci the whole time. He was completley fine after too... and it healed really quick. With this is one we are circumsizing too...I wouldnt have it any other way. Ofcourse this is my opinion...everyone has their own beliefs and i think you should do what you think is right for your family. Like ttc3 said, it was a no brainer for us too.
Rebecca[26] DH Damian [29]
Devin-9/19/01 7lbs15oz 21 in Ethan 12/27/07 7lbs 10z 20in
♥Emily Lauren 4-7-11 7lbs 20 inches long♥
ImageImage
Rebecca_Lori
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dawnelise0004 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm just browsing (cause I can't sleep now that baby is asleep...lol) and thought I would throw an opinion in. TMI alert ahead....

I did have my son circumcised, and for one main reason (call it petty or whatever but lets face it we don't live in the kindest society). Out of all of my boyfriends I had 1 boyfriend that was uncircumcised. And it affected our sex life greatly because I found it very unattractive and to be honest kinda of gross (it reminded me of that flab of fat you get at the bottom of your stomach that just won't go away). I personally enjoy how can I say this without being tacky, oral relations, but that was a definate no go with him because of the visual turnoff of his penis. I mean no penis is attractive really to begin with but "to me" (again just my opinion) and uncircumcised penis is not only unattractive but an actual buzz kill for my sex drive.

So I did it for the sake of my son years down the road (which it would be nice if he waited till he was married but I'm also being somewhat realistic), because sex and being comfortable being naked in front of someone is hard enough without having that possibility added on to it.

As I said before others may thing it superficial or silly to think that but the simple fact is we are turned off for far less - if someone has a mole on their face or an extra 20 lbs, so I don't see how this is any different so it's fine if someone disagrees with me, which is why circumcision is optional - either you do or you don't and whatever reason you choose is valid to you just as mine is valid to me.
dawnelise0004
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Rebecca_Lori » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm

**Edited** Dont want to offend anyone by hear say...and like Michelle said, we really cant comment on something we have not expierenced ourselves so illl leave it at that :) I think we should all be able to talk about are opinions in a mature way, its everyones own personal decision :)
Last edited by Rebecca_Lori on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebecca[26] DH Damian [29]
Devin-9/19/01 7lbs15oz 21 in Ethan 12/27/07 7lbs 10z 20in
♥Emily Lauren 4-7-11 7lbs 20 inches long♥
ImageImage
Rebecca_Lori
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CHELSEA » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:22 am

i guess i cant beleive how some people think in this world!!!!!! to circumcise only because of looks!!!!!and first of all if you love a man should the looks of penis really discuss you that much come on ladies how old are we!!!! my husband is not and i never have aproblem with sex. we do not have to pull back before intercourse and i love him so much that sex is sex there is no no no difference between cut or not cut during sex!!!!! i have 2 boys and one more on the way my husband left the choice up to me and personaly i dont have the heart to do that to my little baby unless it was a medical reason!!!!!!!!!! and as women we should all realize that cleaning is more differnt for us to we have to clean alot better then men who are cut do they have to to a quick wipe down with soap and rinse where we have nooks and craneys our mothers tought us how to clean our selves so what would make you think that we cant teach our little boys to clean themselves properly!!!!! and really about our boys getting made fun of please your kids will get laughed at if they are fat ugly stupid pretty beautiful ect... there is always something so there!!! also when my husband was in school he was very popular with the ladies so hmmmmmmmm not all un circumcised men get mad fun of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ME:27 DH:31 DS1:8 DS2:5 DS3:3 DS4: arrived jan 3rd 2011 9lbs 2 oz
ImageImage
CHELSEA
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Shannybaby » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:42 am

I had my son circumsized and I have thought alot about whether or not it was the right decision.. I was young when I had him and very uninformed of things so i just thought it was the right thing to do, no body really explained my options.. when we were in the hospital they just did it to him and they never even told me when they were doing it they just brought him back to the room and said oh he was just circumsized and this upset me very much because i could see how much pain he was in and I wondered if it was truly necessary or not, and I still really dont know... my husband is circumsized, and when I told him that if this baby was a boy,, i was considering maybe not circumsizing and he was totally against it.... but since we are having a girl we havent thought anymore about it..... I have heard so many horror stories and if I had heard all of these while I was pregnant with my son then i probably wouldnt have done it, i really regret not being well informed.... So I suggest that before you make the decision , make sure you have researched all your options... and hearing all these post that say you are cruel to circumsize, well it just makes me feel really bad about the decision that I made.... I just think that every body has the right to there own say in the matter and it shouldnt cut down anothers choice.... Good luck in deciding It's a big decision :)
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Michellelg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:14 am

I wasn't going to comment on this to be honest, because when I seen your post pop up before anyone had even replied I thought.. "Oh man, that's going to turn into a cess pool." I'm really proud of the women who have been able to express their opinions in a mature way, because this IS an emotional issue and when we're attached to something so closely it's easy to lash out.

Okay, so my opinion. I absolutely did not circumcise my son. I did months of research on it (and I mean medical, not great-grandmother's opinion or what the lady down the street had to say) and could not convince myself that enough justification existed. We are not Jewish, so it holds no religious value, and with the lack of medical representation there was simply no reason to do it. It was, perhaps, easier for me becaues my husband is not circumcised either. I can imagine that there would be a lot of 'pressure' if you were trying to go against what your partner was.

This is where my opinion deviates to things that others have said and thus gets 'touchy'. Let me prelude by saying I mean no one any disrespect.

I think that you cannot count opinions on things such as 'hygeine' and 'getting teased' and how it affects sex and all of those sorts of things from people who have no experience with it. Then it just becomes something they've 'heard' and goodness knows what we've all heard. National Enquirer says an alien had George Bush's baby. Does that mean anything to me?

Hygeine is not an issue, at least to us. My husband knows how to wash his penis, and it's not difficult at all to wash our sons. We tell him what we're doing as we do it and I imagine that soon he'll be trying to do it on his own.

My husband, who personally experienced an un-circumcised penis all throughout public school, says he was never teased for it. He played sports and they would all shower together and so on. He said some were, some weren't - and that they would have been teased more for talking about another guys penis than for looking 'different'. But again, he says he was never the only one.

(Graphic paragraph following)

As far as sex goes, my husband is by far the most well-endowed (sorry if :oops: ) partner I have ever had and his foreskin does not get in the way. As a matter of fact, (and I'm not sure if this is always true, this is speaking from my own actual personal experience) when he is erect the foreskin is usually withdrawn a bit and stretched over his glans anyway. And I've noticed that when we're 'finished' it's all pulled back and almost looks like an uncircumcised penis anyway. Also, in relation to hygeine and oral sex - it's never been an issue for us. He takes good care of his body and there's nothing nasty about it.

I think from here everything turns to opinion again. Like the lady who is turned off by a uncircumcised penis. I'm very glad she was bold and thoughtful enough to share her opinion with you, while you're seeking them, but are you really going to make your decision regarding your son based on her sexual turn-ons? After having been with my husband, I now think uncircumcised ones are gross looking too. It would just be 'ewww' to me, total turn off, etc. The exact opposite of what she said. So my point is, my sexual desires (one way or the other) or hers should not affect this decision.

I guess my point is this. You're giong to get opinions both ways. Some people will say it's a nice tradition to maintain with the men in the family. Some will say its barbaric, butchering. Some will say its dirty, others will affirm that it's not. Some will say its gross, a turn off. Some will be the opposite.

I really think that you should start your search online. Read about it from the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics and other reliable sources. Write out the pros and cons of it, form a medican and factual opinion based on scientific evidence and the unbiased opinion of professionals. Once you've got a pretty good idea of how you feel about it, then I think it's safe to take all of these things into consideration. But also take it with a grain of salt. In the end it will be your decision, and you need to feel comfortable enough with it (whatever you decide) that you don't regret it or rethink yourself everyday. And your son will live with it forever :)

I hope I didn't offend anyone, wasn't my intention. Now, I think I'll go find that national enquirer and curl up with a nice cold one. Cheers, until next time! =)

Michelle
Me-23, DH-28, DSD-10, DS-3, DD-newborn!

Michellelg
Star Member
Star Member

Postby christiebaby » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:57 am

Hey...thanks for the CRAZY lady comment. I LUV IT!!!! :D :D :D Have I once said that what you are doing is wrong. No!!! Why is it so hard for some people to just let others have a different opinion. Am I calling you crazy for your beliefs??? No...I am not. I just don't understand this. Why is my opinion CRAZY??? Why is my opinion so uninformed?
christiebaby
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Previous

Return to Second Trimester