how do you educate yourself for labor/birth?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

attend childbirth classes
31%
read books
34%
family & friends
3%
TV/movies/youtube
6%
From your Doctor/midwife
3%
internet
23%

Total votes : 35

Postby rwilson7401 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi girls,

I'm currently in training to become a Childbirth educator and Birth Doula. I just attended a 2 day conference on Perinatal Health and one of the topics was where do expecting women get there information regarding pregnancy /Birth from? family/friends, internet, doctor/midwives, Books, TV?

since i'm always on TWW (the TTC side most of the time, seeing i'm TTC again :D ) i wanted to ask you girls "real people" how you educate yourself? in the poll in other questions i added.

~what books did you read?

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often?

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better?
~would you consider a Doula/ Do you know what a Doula is?
Last edited by rwilson7401 on Wed May 20, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Susy07 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:10 pm

what books did you read? books? lol

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? wen i was pregnant it was like every day..

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? didnt take calsses.

yes i would.
I'm Susy (27) Dh is Tyler (29)
Baby angel lost at 5 weeks in May 2007.
William Christian. Born Dec 14 2008,
Baby angel lost at 8w4d. Miscarried at 11w1d in Nov 2010.
Rachel Amber, Born Feb 29th, 2012
Baby angel, 9w2d. Partial molar pregnancy, lost Sept 1, 2013
Tessa Breanne born Nov 10, 2014
Susy07

Postby Jennybean » Wed May 20, 2009 5:32 pm

what books did you read?
What to expect when you're expecting, belly laughs, Your pregnancy: Questions and Answers

~do you watch TLC's baby stories, how often?
On occasion

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better?

Yes, I will be going through Prepared Childbirth classes, Infant CPR, and Baby Basics. They are all offered through my hospital. I haven't attended them yet so I'm not sure about how to improve them yet.

I might consider one
4 :angel: babies

Jennybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tracesmommy » Wed May 20, 2009 7:43 pm

~what books did you read? What to Expect when Expecting; The Miraculous World of your unborn Baby. Several parent magazines

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? I did A lot with my first son, too busy to watch much with my second.

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? I never did a childbirthing class

not sure what a doula is
Erica-33
DH-38
DS-9
DS- 2

Tracesmommy
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Kelly13 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:17 pm

~what books did you read? I glanced at the What to Expect When You're Expecting Book, but I'm not a fan, they use too many scare tactics. I LOVED the Your Pregnancy Week by Week book. GREAT!

I wanted to do a natural childbirth, so I checked out lots of books about the Bradley Method and whatever else I could. I also read a lot of Dr. Sears' books. Also, anything about Breastfeeding, I read that. I read A LOT.

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often?Not really. We didn't have a TV, still don't have Cable or even regular channels.

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? I attended a class at the hospital. I pretty much knew everything they talked about, as I had read about it before hand. I did like learning about the procedures relevant to my hospital

A doula is a support person that is around for the birth and tries to make the birthing experience enjoyable, and one that YOU want. They want to ensure your wishes are followed. Talk to operamommie on here, she's a doula :)

I'd say, over all, I got most of my info from books and internet.
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rwilson7401 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 am

kelly~ITA about the scare tactics in what to expect while your expecting. since you want a natural birth have you read any of Ina May Gaskin's books? Ina may's guide to childbirth is my all time fave!
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jaysmom » Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 am

what books did you read? With my 1st I read What to Expect and it scared the crap outta me!!!! Horrible horrible book

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? I used to watch it years ago, but not a fan anymore

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? I did take the childbirth classes with my first, honestly I thought it was a waste of time. I learned more this time around from here, and reading on the net.

~would you consider a Doula/ Do you know what a Doula is? I was offered a Doula the first time around and declined. IMO I just wanted family in the room with me.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Loreneprego5 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:09 am

me all the above. I have used all those references to help
GOd bless
Joshua born May 22, 2009 37w4d 7.14lbs/ @ 11 weeks old 14.8 lbs

Loreneprego5
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Claudhopper » Thu May 21, 2009 6:47 am

I have educated myself through the internet like this website, books, and will be attending childbirth classes. Also talking with other moms has also helped.
Me 35 (Claudia)
DH 40
DS1 - 3 (born July 23, 2009)
DS2 - born July 24, 2012 @ 3:05PM

Claudhopper
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kelly13 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:26 am

rwilson7401 wrote:kelly~ITA about the scare tactics in what to expect while your expecting. since you want a natural birth have you read any of Ina May Gaskin's books? Ina may's guide to childbirth is my all time fave!

No, I haven't, but I have heard of her! I'll have to check it out for this time around, thanks!
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 am

~what books did you read?

What to Expect When Expecting
Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Gentle Birth Choices (is that Ina May Gaskins's book about on "The Farm??"--if not, then I read that, too!)
I imagine there's other books, but I just can't remember!

~do you watch TLC's "A Baby Story," how often?
Yes, I TiVo (record) it & my DD (almost 5 yo) enjoys watching it (doesn't care for c/s's, prefers water births & is OK watching "bed births," as she calls 'em! Ha ha...

For my 1st birth, I attended a Bradley-style class by a Lactation Consultant (breastfeeding info was DEFINITELY plentiful!). Had Prodromal Labor & ended up w/ an Epi "to rest" before the delivery.

For my 2nd birth, took an actual Bradley class, it was GREAT!! DH learned soooo much & I totally attribute it to my all-natural hospital birth experience.

And for my 4th baby's birth, I plan an all-natural hospital birth as well.

Yes, DH wouldn't go for it b/c of the $$$. ;o)
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DD, :angel: June 5 '08
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sarlero » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 am

~what books did you read? Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Gentle Birth Choices, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, LLL Breastfeeding Guide, Bradley Birth book

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? No, they just make me upset

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? Took Bradley classes, they were at a local birth center and I really enjoyed them

Yes, I hired one for my birth. :) A labor support person.
Me - 29
DH - 32
2 furbabies

ImageImageImage
sarlero
Addicted
Addicted

Postby k05003272 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:11 am

~what books did you read? What to expect, The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? a few times a week. Whenever i can remember to turn the channel to it. (preggo brain lol)

I am attending them starting in one week. I'm not sure how they will go or if I will like them yet. They are being held at the Family Birthing Center that I will be delivering at. (Sacred Heart Hospital)

~would you consider a Doula/ Do you know what a Doula is? I might consier one, but first i need to know a little bit more about what a Doula is. I'm not sure if my hospital provides them or not.
Kasey(24) DH(25) DS(3) DD(2)
:angel: 12/12/11
BFP 11/25/12
EDD 8/7/13
k05003272
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaurenAshley » Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 am

My way of going about it with my first pregnancy was to read the PROCESS, but that was it. I didnt want to read about things that could go wrong, or anything that would scare me, so I didnt do anything but learn about what giving birth means to the body. It was actually really awesome too when I had my daughter, I just went with the flow and let my body do its thing and then with the help of nurses telling me step by step what was going on, I pushed her out with no problems! Your body knows what to do, so all you can do is prepare your MIND for whats about to come.
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Third Trimester