how do you educate yourself for labor/birth?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

how do you educate yourself for labor/birth?

attend childbirth classes
31%
read books
34%
family & friends
3%
TV/movies/youtube
6%
From your Doctor/midwife
3%
internet
23%

Total votes : 35

birth

Postby mlrcds » Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 am

This is my first baby...

I have read: What to Expect when Expecting and Hypnobirthing.

TLC Stories: I did in the first few weeks of my pregnancy, but then I thought about what kind of birth that I wanted (natural, peaceful, quiet) so I quit watching them. I think that they put fear in you. I don't believe giving birth has to be excrutiating.

Classes: I am doing the home study course on Hypnobabies.

Doula: Yes I would, but there aren't any in my area.
Me - 36 and DP - 33
First IUI Jan. 10, 2009
BFP 11 dpiui

[img]
ImageImage
mlrcds
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby brenjay » Thu May 21, 2009 10:26 am

~what books did you read?

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, WTEWYE

~do you watch TLC's baby stories, how often?

No, I got tired of watching so many traditional hospital-style, heavily interventionist, flat-on-one's-back births (sorry to people who like it!) A long, long time ago, it used to be way cooler - they had homebirths, and waterbirths, and a really excellent variety. Now it's all epis in the hospital.

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better?

I attended a childbirth class run by the hospital I will be using, run by a midwife. It was actually very cool.

~would you consider a Doula/ Do you know what a Doula is?

Yup, I have a doula. She is fabulous!

My DH is pretty excited about her, too. When I first decided to try a natural birth, I think he was a little freaked about watching me be in labor, and feeling like he wouldn't know what to do, or how to help me. The doula has really eased his mind that he can be an active, HELPFUL part of my labor. I think she will be a great resource for both of us, no matter what happens.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rwilson7401 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:04 pm

SaLT wrote:

Yes, DH wouldn't go for it b/c of the $$$. ;o)
you could find a Doula in training, they often charge a lot less or even free services http://www.doula.com/
Last edited by rwilson7401 on Thu May 21, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby rwilson7401 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:20 pm

thank you so much for your answers! :D

hears why i asked the questions i did

~what books did you read? i just wanted to see what books people were reading. i'm happy to see that some of you read Ina May's books! for me personaly her books made me understand that my body was designed to give birth. i just got to hear her speak on Wed! there is also a new book you called Your Best Birth that is great! IMO i really DONT like What to expect! or Girlfirends guide to pregnacy

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often?

I just attended two day birth conference and we talked about the media and birth in one of the classes. and i thought this was intresting and wanted to pass it along. all of the Stats are about TLC's baby storie.

It was lecture by the Assistan Dean and professor of Maternal Health at Boston University. he was also on documentry The Buisness of Being Born. he took a survey of 300 pregant women and 47% said they watched a baby storie on regurly.

so he went out bought the DVD of the 1st season and watched all 38 episodes. hears the stats of the show are against the real stat's of USA births for that same year the season was taped. the thing's in () are the real stats.
here are the % out of the 38 episoids

~ baby storie was taped in 37 hospitals and 1 birth center

~ 18% were on fertility (4-5%)

~8% of them were on twins (i didnt write down the real stat)

~75% were on planned c-sections (16%)

~ 87% epidural rate (76%)

~ 9 shows talking about fear of Vaginal birth

~ 8 talking about the joy of being a mother

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? that's great so many of you liked your classes! I'm currently studying "evidence based" prenatal/childbirth education and i'm planning on also becoming certified in Hypnobirthing

~would you consider a Doula YAHHH for those of you who are using a doula :jump: if you are intresed in having one and don't have the $ a lot of Doula's in training will provide services for a LOT less or free. http://www.doula.com/

Do you know what a Doula is? A birth doula is a supportive companion professionally trained to provide physical and emotional support during labor and birth.

A doula provides continuous support, beginning during early or active labor, through birth, and for approximately 2 hours following the birth. The doula offers help and advice on comfort measures such as breathing, relaxation, movement, positioning, and massage. She also assists families with gathering information about the course of labor and their options. Her most critical role is providing continuous emotional reassurance and comfort.

Doulas attend home births and hospital births; medicated births and unmedicated births, with women whose care is being overseen by doctors or midwives. Doulas may be the only support person for the mother, or may be part of a labor support team including mom’s partner, friend(s), and/or family members.

Doulas specialize in non-medical skills, and do not perform clinical tasks, or diagnose medical conditions.

Doulas do not make decisions for their clients. Their goal is to provide the support and information needed to help the birthing mother have a safe and satisfying birth as the mother defines it.
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby rwilson7401 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:23 pm

sorry for my spelling
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby LaurenAshley » Thu May 21, 2009 5:36 pm

rwilson7401 wrote:
SaLT wrote:

you could find a Doula in training, they often charge a lot less or even free services http://www.doula.com/

YES! Every doula has to have a certain number of births they must attend before they are certified, so you can get one for super cheap if not free! Thats why I am letting my best friend be mine, this is her last birth before she is certified.
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ang711 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:06 pm

~what books did you read?
Your pregnancy week by week.

~do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often?
Yes, whenever I can catch them, a few times a week, even though they usually make me angry.

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? Dh and I took a childbirth class with my first pregnancy, it was from the hospital and a waste of $$ I should of done the bradley classes

Yes! I had one with DS, and now my mom is certified with DONA, so she will be there this time.

My midwives, my mom, and other doulas are my main source of information. I also attend different seminars/speakers that talk about the benefits of natural childbirth/ and other related topics.

eta: those of you interested in using a doula, can check out www.doulamatch.net :D
Angela 27, married 5yrs to Josiah. SAHM to Eli, CJ and Reese
ImageImageImage
Ang711
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rwilson7401 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

Ang711 wrote:~what books did you read?

eta: those of you interested in using a doula, can check out www.doulamatch.net :D
thank you so much for posting the link to that site. i just registered
rwilson7401
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby njnectarine » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

what books did you read? I read a few: What to Expect When You're Expecting Book, Pregnancy Week by Week, Thinking Woman's Guide and Hypnobirthing

do you watch TLC's baby storie, how often? I do but don't pay too much attention to them.... it seems like they are all c-sections anyway.

~are you attending childbirth classes, are they at a hospital, home, other, hypnobirthing?did you like your classes? what can be done to make them better? I took a hypnobirthting class with my DS- it was a good class overall but not for me... It did help me with the breathing and all but I ended up having an epi anyway

A Know what doula is and I actually considered hiring one with my DS but the $$$ they charges was crazy. I know some hospitals offer doula services for free but mine didn't
Me-36, DH-40
DS- 3
DS- 1
DS# 3 due 5/19/11

njnectarine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ang711 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:59 pm

njnectarine wrote:
A Know what doula is and I actually considered hiring one with my DS but the $$$ they charges was crazy. I know some hospitals offer doula services for free but mine didn't

I know what they charge varies depending on where you live, but if you think about their job, most are pretty reasonable. In the Kansas City area most birth doulas charge $350-$500. Which includes: meeting a few times before the birth, maybe attending a prenatal, being "on-call" from the time your full term until the baby is born, not leaving your side during labor, staying an hour or two after you deliver, and then a couple of post partum visits. All doulas services can vary, but some also include birth photography and writing your birth story.

So the up front cost may seem high, but for my son my doula was with me for 18 hours of my 24 hour labor and she really was priceless.
Angela 27, married 5yrs to Josiah. SAHM to Eli, CJ and Reese
ImageImageImage
Ang711
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby danielle-g » Sun May 24, 2009 10:33 am

I avoid the television shows- esp. a Baby Story- they are never what a real birth should be.

We are taking Bradley Method Classes- so we have those resources and materials
We've hired a Doula- she's provided us with relaxation tapes, hand-outs, information, etc.

I've been reading: Active Birth, New Active Birth, and Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method

I bought DH the book "The Birth Partner"

We've also watched "The Business of Being Born" and "Orgasmic Birth"

- I've done a ton of research on the iCAN website as well since I'm going for a VBAC...

I feel so confident, esp. after practicing the positions, breathing, visualization so much.

With DD I took that hospital's birthing class- it was a joke.
military wife to a deployed soldier
(dd) haidenne 5.12.04
(dd) ella rose- 6.29.09 - via successful VBAC
First time surro-mommy - EDD 1/16/2012
danielle-g
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Sun May 24, 2009 2:27 pm

LaurenAshley wrote:
rwilson7401 wrote:
SaLT wrote:

YES! Every doula has to have a certain number of births they must attend before they are certified, so you can get one for super cheap if not free! Thats why I am letting my best friend be mine, this is her last birth before she is certified.

Looked into it my last pregnancy & there weren't any available. I spoke w/ a director of a local school/training program. I think my Bradley instructor referred me. Didn't look into it this time, probably should have! I've done the natural birth thing & DH & BFF were EXCELLENT support, I did well w/ them & didn't ask for ANY pain management in the slightest! Unless something freaky happens this time, it should go pretty much the same. Bradley was WONDERFUL for DH, he learned sooooo much. Thanks for the info though!! Hope someone else can find a free or low-cost doula in training if they are unable to afford one. PS--I've heard there are hospitals that exist that provide them (maybe at a cost though??). ;o)
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DD, :angel: June 5 '08
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Third Trimester