which do you think is better?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

what is better - multi ob practice or 1 ob practice?

multi ob practice
61%
single ob practice
39%

Total votes : 31

Postby operamommie » Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm

This is a really interesting question - one I hadn't thought much about since my OB delivered my daughter. If she's not around, I suppose her partner would be delivering the baby, which would be fine, even though I've never met her. We've talked a few times when she's been on call after hours, and seems a lot like my doc.
For me the key would be making sure that I had my doctor's approval and if necessary in writing the birth preferences we have agreed upon. I don't want some nurse coming in and thinking she has the upper hand. I honestly worry more about the kind of labor nurse I might get than about who is actually catching my baby, since that person is really not around much anyways. I think being comfortable with your prenatal key is really important. For that reason, I like having one doc that all my appts are with. The only reason I would have an appt with anyone else is if she was on vacation or something like that. It also would avoid the trouble that you're having now where the OBs almost seem to be arguing amongst themselves about your prenatal care. Does not inspire confidence. :? I hope you get it sorted out.
Me:26 DH:27

operamommie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Eren » Thu May 21, 2009 6:08 pm

I don`t really mind. For me it depends more on the nurses than the doctors. Of course I want to feel that the docs are professional and know their stuff, but it`s the nurses who will be mostly looking after you, especially if you have an uncomplicated pregnancy. That said I am at a single doctor practice. I changed from a multi because I hated my doctor at the last hospital, plus they didn`t allow dh`s to be there for the birth or do epidurals (I just want the option). Very traditional place. :roll:
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LoneStar » Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm

I prefer ingle. I had complications with my pregnancy and ended up being hospitalized for a few weeks. It was always so reassuring to have my doctor come to my hospital room and check on me every morning. I really felt like I developed a relationship with her. My sister, on the other hand, had a VERY complicated pregnancy and went to a multi-practice. She always felt like the different doctors were missing info about her and she often had to repeat herself to them. Plus, when her water broke at 20 weeks, no one in the practice believed her. She went 6 more weeks with leaking amniotic fluid and had her baby at 26 weeks (but this is a whole other looong story). Anyway, she felt that if she went to a single practice, then maybe she would have been paid closer attention.
LoneStar
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jhough0903 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 am

I go to a practice that has two doctors, 1 nurse practitioner, and 1 physician's assistant. So I have seen them all during pregnancy. The doctors will be the one's doing the actual delivery but they also have an outside dr they rely on when they are both off. I'm fortunate that I actually know the other dr also (former patient of his, left him for difference of opinion on fertility treatment). So I feel pretty comfortable with all of them.
Image DD 6/09/11 Image
Image DS 6/12/09 Image
Jennifer:34 DH:32 Married 09/06/03 Furbabies: Kayla, Meyah, & Belle
jhough0903
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Claudhopper » Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 am

To be honest I have no idea what I would prefer. I am at a multi OB office as well and I don't mind it. It's nice to be able to rotate to a doctor that you like, even if he/she is not the one delivering. At that point I don't care who is there as long as someone is looking after me. Most of the work at the hospital is done by the nurses anyhow, so I don't care.
Since I have never been to a 1 dr. office I can't say that I would prefer that. I think it's an individual thing and you will have to do what's best for you and your baby.
Me 35 (Claudia)
DH 40
DS1 - 3 (born July 23, 2009)
DS2 - born July 24, 2012 @ 3:05PM

Claudhopper
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaurenAshley » Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 am

I love my doctor, and I am super excited that I have only ever had to see him. Once the baby comes I really dont care who is there to catch her.
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Claudhopper » Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 am

Oh by the way....my clinic has about 13 doctors I can see. So I have a feeling I probably won't get to see them all :wink:
Me 35 (Claudia)
DH 40
DS1 - 3 (born July 23, 2009)
DS2 - born July 24, 2012 @ 3:05PM

Claudhopper
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mom2Gracie » Sun May 31, 2009 10:59 am

I had muli-docs w/ DD and hated it!! I met "my doctor" a week before my c-section. It would have been the same as having a doctor I never knew delivering, since I didn't know her. This time around I went to a different hospital and I see my doctor every visit and I think he is the greatest. I'm happy I went to a different hospital this time.
Mom2Gracie
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Chrisandkarene » Sun May 31, 2009 8:52 pm

2 months ago I would have said I love my single ob practice but since being dx'd with Gestational diabetes I really wish I was being seen in a multi ob office.. Because I don't feel like my doctor is taking things serious enough... I do have a chance of 3 other doctors delivering my baby but as has already been discussed its the nurses that do all the work.. And I am bringing along a doula so she will fight for me and get me what I want and need :)
Karene(me) 29
Chris (dh) 30
Jewel Nautica (dd)2 June 2009
Tucker Jordan (ds) 6 months Jan 2011
Chrisandkarene
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PreggoliciousLaura » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I have one O.B. but it's a multi O.B. practice. I see different O.B's most of the time but always have the same O.B. for delivery.
Laura: (28) wife to my soul-mate, Travis (28) since 2.9.06 together since 3.2.02
SAHM to my beautiful baby girls, Kitiara:12.15.06, Bella 9.15.09
& Aria: 7.24.11

Three furbabies: Cloud(Norwegian Forest Cat), Mist(Savannah Cat), and Duke(Mastweiller)
PreggoliciousLaura
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Third Trimester