Are you going to breastfeed or formula feed?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Are u going to bf or ff the baby thats bakin?

breastfeed
84%
formula feed
16%

Total votes : 79

Postby michellejune » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 am

This has been a big decision for me. I honestly really went back and forth. I formula fed DS1 and he was perfecty healthy his first year. No ear infections, no sick doc visits and he thrived. Though he was colicky but there are many BF babies that have colic as well.

However, with that said. This will most likely be our last child and I think if I don't at least TRY to experience BFing that I will regret it. So I'm going to give it a shot this time around. I only have 8 weeks off from work so I'm thinking I may BF for 6 weeks then start supplementing with formula. Unless I have lots of luck with pumping then I may pump and store some to last long. I just don't want to have to pump at work.
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Debs307 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 am

Ideally I would like to BF if I'm able. DH has a ton of allergies and was sick a lot as a child and we want to avoid that with our LO as much as possible. Of course he was BF and still got sick. I was FF and get sick every 3-5 years, usually. Go figure....

With that being said, after the first 8-10 weeks, it will depend on if I am able to pump enough for when I'm at work. Also, I'm a police officer and I have a feeling my vest will get really uncomfortable if I don't pump while at work as well. :? At this point it's wait and see if I even can. Still a 25% chance I will be unable to due to my reduction when I was 20. Either way, I'm sure I'll have a happy, healthy baby.
Debbie(27) Image Aaron(30) happily married for 5 1/2 years!
Garrett Wade born 09/01/09

Debs307
Angel
Angel

Postby Nat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 am

I BF DD and plan to with this one too.
DD1 14,DD2 09/29/09,DS 12/17/10
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SarahJade » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:38 pm

I will be breastfeeding this baby. Ds nursed for 13 months, weaned due to the changes in my milk from the pregnancy but I am hoping he will start again and tandem with his sister.

...Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hushed me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
My Mother. ~Anne Taylor
SarahJade
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hazelbazel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I planned to breastfeed with my first and despite all of my efforts I couldn't get him to latch correctly and i ended up with bloody chewed on nipples for weeks.... BUT I persevered by exclusively pumping for 9 months and produced like a cow and was able to feed him BM for almost a full year. This was NOT easy and I'm afraid that this time around if the baby doesn't latch I won't be able to pump like I did before (since I'll now have 2 babies to care for). It's twice the work, you have all the supplies to care for like FF, and after you've pumped you still have to find hands and time to actually feed your child! So here's hoping latching occurs the right way this time!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby countrymomma » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:14 am

There wasnt a choice for both. I have had to with my other kids and I dont expect any different for this baby. I just generally dont have enough of a supply. This baby will probably get bf more, though, since I dont have to go back to work.
FORMERLY BABYRABE
Me (34) & DH (39) Married 11/18/2000

SAHM, Homeschooling mommy to:
DD-8
^Noah True^ 12/12/06 m/c 10.5wks
DS-5
DD-4
DD-2
# FIVE!! Due May 31, 2014
countrymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PreggoliciousLaura » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 am

I am breastfeeding. I breastfed DD#1 until she self weaned at 30 months :).
Laura: (28) wife to my soul-mate, Travis (28) since 2.9.06 together since 3.2.02
SAHM to my beautiful baby girls, Kitiara:12.15.06, Bella 9.15.09
& Aria: 7.24.11

Three furbabies: Cloud(Norwegian Forest Cat), Mist(Savannah Cat), and Duke(Mastweiller)
PreggoliciousLaura
Addicted
Addicted

Postby 4boys » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 am

I breastfed all my previous babies anywhere from 5 months all the way up to 15 months. I plan on breastfeeding this one too but I will have to supplement a night feeding at least (might just pump and put in a bottle though) since I need some sleep at night if I'm going to be working again at 3 months pp. Dh will have to actually participate this time. Yay!
Me(Nicole)-36, DH (Anthony)-43
DS ages 13,11,7,3 and baby Cameron makes 5!

4boys
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Are you going to breastfeed or formula feed?

Postby lovinmyair » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Stephie702 wrote:so this isnt ment to be a debate, or one of thoes threads that turn nasty. i mearly am asking for each who wish to answer to answer for themseleves....

are you going to bf or ff? and why?

have you bf one child and are ff this one or a previous child? what were the differences you noticed if any?

thanks ladies!

Well, I'm going to try to breastfeed. I don't know if it's because I breast fed or not, but I've noticed my daughter has not been sick. She is two years old so has awhile to go but she has not been sick a day in her life. I primarily breast fed her until 5 months old but had to substitute with formula because she wasn't getting enough breast milk. She just stopped breastfeeding one day. I'm hoping I can breastfeed longer. I'm going to formula feed if I need but I really love breast feeding (after I got rid of the soreness anyway) so hoping to do it longer than my first. I think the best thing for me was being able to feed her anytime. I got a breastfeeding shaw that looks like a shirt and it only looks like the baby is sleeping and doesn't show anything. I know it's a natural thing, but I have a thing with not wanting to show anything in public. If I didn't have anything I'd be shy and not breast feed. I also like that I don't need bottles and can bring her to the bed. She's two now so I don't have to worry. Now I'm going to have a boy in one to two weeks. I'm going to try to breast feed again.
lovinmyair
Friend

Postby july » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:50 pm

First I have to see if I am going to have milk..
ME: 26 :hb: DH: 29 :hb: DS1: 39M :hb: DS2: 11M :hb: DD: Newborn
02/26/09 ITS A BOY!!!
06/30/11 ITS A BOY!!!
05/07/12 ITS A GIRL!!!
july
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shannybaby » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Boobies for all my babies :) I breastfed my first 2 for 18 months and would have tandem nursed but my milk dried up due to being pregnant. I LOVE the bond that comes with breastfeeding. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you will never get the chance to do it again ( with that child anyway ). There are just too many benefits to the baby not to breastfeed. Plus it is soooo easy, way easier than formula and cheaper too !! I feel good knowing exactly what is going into my babies body and that it is 100% natural.
Shannon :hb: Adam
ImageImage
ImageImage
Our sweet baby girl, Aspen Greer, arrived March 1st 2013 at 4:30 am weighing 6lb 20in !! <3
Shannybaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kisty214 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I will try BF'ing, depending on if he takes it or not, and possibly pumping, one I've heard the first is good for him, and 2 it's free...We did foster care, and formula is way to expensive especially if they need a certain kind, that being said my niece and I both weren't able to be bf due to allergies, so if that's the case we will be doing formula.
ME-Kisty(27) DH-Brett(32)
DS1: 9/14/09
DS2: 8/12/10
m/c 3/3/08
m/c 5/15/11
DS3: 2/21/12

Kisty214
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Moonfire » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Breastfeeding here! My little girl is still nursing, too. I hope she keeps with it so we can tandem nurse! I can't think of a single disadvantage... except maybe that nobody else can feed the babe unless you pump. So this post would be REALLY long if I listed all the reasons that we breastfeed!
Me (Tristian): 25
DH: Matt, 31
DD: Ginny
DS: Finnian

Moonfire
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Third Trimester