When did your baby turn + contraction questions

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

When did your baby turn + contraction questions

Postby rleash » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 am

My doctor was on vacation for my appointment this week, and a midwife was helping take some of his patients. I really didn't like her because she made me paranoid about every little thing. The worst of all being that at 35/36 weeks, she thinks the baby is still breech.

Before I went in, I was curious if he turned yet, but I figured we still have time for him to turn. She was talking like if he hasn't turned by now, he almost definitely won't, and it was like she was issuing a death sentence for him. She ordered an u/s for Monday to find out for sure if he turned or not.

I'm wondering if any of you still have a breech baby at 35/36 weeks? Or better yet, how many of you did, and the baby turned after that point? What are my chances of needing a c-section with a breech baby?

Is there any way for me to tell if he really is breech based on where he's kicking? Most kicks feel high or else to the sides, but when she found the heartbeat, it was up very high, so I don't know if I'm feeling kicks or punches. I also feel sliding movements at the very top of my belly, right in the middle (it only moves an inch or two, and I don't feel these very often). Most times that the baby is active, I feel movement at opposite corners of my belly at the same time. A bigger one on the top right side, right about where my nipple would touch my belly if I didn't have a bra on, and a smaller, deeper kick just above my left hip.

I'm going to go nuts waiting for Monday!!! I just want to talk to my doctor because he's so good at easing all my fears! It was like this lady was intentionally trying to freak me out!!!

---

And my other question is about contractions. For those of you having contractions, does it feel like your stomach is pulling inward, or outward? Last night my belly got hard all over, and felt like a balloon that was so full of air that one more blow would pop it. But I always thought contractions would feel like it's pulling inward, so I don't know if it's just that my belly really IS that big that it feels full. This is my second pregnancy, but I never felt (or recognized) contractions with my first one until I was induced, and then it just felt like painful cramps. What I've been feeling has no pain involved, which makes me think the baby's just trying stretch out in there or something.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I appreciate any insight from you ladies!!
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby orionslight » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 pm

my one breech baby didnt turn until 37+ weeks...and it i didnt even know she had turned until an us. good luck i hope baby turns!
Baby Ireland born 4-18-14 healthy and happy :)

Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl
Loss June 2016@ 13+5,boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monkeysauce » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Ask your doctor about your hospital's policy for breech deliveries. I know that at my hospital, it's an automatic c-section, no questions asked... but you may have a doctor who will attempt an external version to get the baby to turn, before you go into labor.

Everything I've heard says that by 36 weeks, they're generally much too big to turn by themselves.
Amelia Bel born 3/16/2011
monkeysauce
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Heather32 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:52 pm

DS#2 turned at 37ish weeks. I know because it was PAINFUL. He was so big and it make me puke when he turned but he turned :) He was born at 38wks 9lbs 2oz and 22 inches long....There is still room just not as much..Good luck!!
Heather:33 DH:36 DS (6) 11/04 DS (2) 2/09
DD (Brand New!) 8/7/11 8pds 4oz 19 1/2in.
:angel: 04/07 (14wks) Rest in peace sweet angel baby
ImageImage
Heather32
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bec_83 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 pm

My last appointment was at 29 weeks and bub was head down. I've never had a baby not turn so I'm no help to you :(
My 2 eldest daughters Mikayla & Chloe

Our newest edition Amelia
bec_83
Addicted
Addicted

Postby bdipaolo86 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm going through the same thing only I'm 33 weeks. I feel kicks or punches everywhere! And I get the sliding feeling at the top of my belly too. A few days ago my doctor said she's still breech and I had an ultrasound at 30 weeks and she was frank breech. The ultrasound tech said they don't usually worry about it until 34-35 weeks. My doctor said they will schedule for an ultrasound for 35-36 weeks to see if she's still breech then go from there... Not sure what that means. I've heard of an external version and I don't think I'd do one. I think I'd just go right for the c-section.
Me(Britt)-24
DH(Drew)-28
DD1(Kailey)- 4/13/05
DD2(Ava)- 9/25/07
DD3(Maycie)- 3/11/11

ImageImage
bdipaolo86
Angel
Angel

Postby rleash » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reponses! I had my u/s Monday and baby is head down, ready to go. I don't know if he turned before the u/s or the midwife was wrong, but I have a feeling he was turned before. I felt such a difference in the days before the midwife said he was breech, he had to have turned then. Anyway, he's healthy and ready to go, so now we just wait the last few weeks! Ds #1 didn't come until almost 2 weeks passed my due date (after being induced) so let's hope this guy's more cooperative!
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Return to Third Trimester