baby shower for 2nd baby?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby Shazza » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 am

In Ireland baby showers aren't very common. So when I was preg with DD 6 years ago in Canada and my SIL offiered to throw me a shower I was like uh no, thanks. So instead we have a welcome baby party and it was awesome!! We registered for some gifts so our friends had an idea of what we needed and that was that.

This time around we will be having another meet the baby party at our house with good food, good friends and no registry or gifts expected/needed. If people want to bring something that's fine, but we just want to show off our new little bubs..

I also never had a wedding shower - again one of those things that we just don't do culturally...
Me: 32 DH: 33 DD1: 6
Angel baby, March 2010
ImageImage
Shazza
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mommyofgirls » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm

I had a second shower for my 2DD who came 9.5 years after my first. I had gotten rid of everything and also my first was not with my DH so different family altogether. So nobody bought for 2 showers kwim.

I don't think there is a problem with having a second shower regardless!! Called a sprinkle. I think it should be a small affair personally but hey some families like to have big ones. If someone has a problem then they won't come kwim. Some are just diaper parties for the same sex. I think every baby should have sort-of celebratory event! I see no problem with it at all :D So nice of your friend! Enjoy! Close friends & family will have no problem wanting to honor your baby with a small shower.

Like others have said I always have a welcoming baby party also. My MIL's hosts it. I did this for my 2 & 3rd baby. So it didn't matter if I had a shower or not I always had this so people could see her for the first time. People always seem to bring a gift even though it's never asked of them.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsPowe08 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Well I am 37 weeks preggos with baby girl #3. Personally, I feel that each baby should be celebrated. My oldest being 11 and the baby girl 22 months. I would never ask for a shower past the first one but my relatives and friends saw fit to give me one for number 2 so I didnt turn it down and it was a big gap in age. Now with this pregnancy, my coworkers surprised me with a shower at work last week and they purchased some of my big items... Car Seat, playpen, etc.... And my mom also insisted on giving me a shower from the family and that will be next week... I really didnt want it but she insisted... I am sooooo blessed

So if someone is throwing you a shower that you didnt aak for, just be happy, accept it and fellowship with the people that loves you... Put whatever you need on the registry.. Initially I didnt have items on mines but people insisted that i put them on there and when i did, they were purchased....You would be surprised... Good Luck!!!
Me-27 DH-32 DD-8 1st Beta @11 dpo-292 Symphony Amariah Image
MrsPowe08

Postby Ziggymomma » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:18 pm

I gave my friend a shower for her 3rd she didn't ask and originally it was a stock her freezer shower but everyone brought her gifts. In our case it's just a fun way to honor our friend and her new baby. And my friends have offered to give me one I'm thrilled these ladies are such wonderful friends and have become like family. I don't think it's as cut-n-dry as it once was I think you should do what your comfortable with.
Allyson

Me 37
Dh 38
Dd 9 -5/20/02
Ds 7 - 1/8/04
Ds 5 - 4/7/06
Angel- at 9 wks 7/7/10
Ds Due 5/29/11
Ziggymomma
Angel
Angel

Postby Prinycesa07 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

My family doesnt do showers for 2nd babies. However, i have found out that my sister and my best friend are throwing me a surprise shower (im not suppose to know lol). Its going to be low key and just about 10 of us, a group of our closest friends with snacks and appetizers. I feel a bit odd about it but they say its totally fine because im having a boy this time.
Audrey Renee- 12/09/09
Owen Frederick- 4/8/11
Olivia Mae Noelle 12/25/14

Prinycesa07
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby njnectarine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:01 pm

My friends threw me a shower for the second baby and I don't see anything wrong with that. I got some cute gifts and I really appreciated the thought, friendship and generosity of my friends. I am pregnanct with number 3 and of someone wanted to throw me a shower I would say: heck yeah! Every single baby (and mama) deserves one!
Me-36, DH-40
DS- 3
DS- 1
DS# 3 due 5/19/11

njnectarine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kiwimama022789 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Personally, I believe that you should for every baby, but without the need for gifts, because I believe every child (and in turn pregnancy) should be treated the same. Consider you are going through pregnancy stories, journals, etc. with your children, you come across the pictures of your 1st born's baby shower and your 2nd (or more) child asks "oh, where are the pictures of mine?" "We never had one for you" think of how the child would feel. If it was me I would definitely feel as if my older brother/sister was more important.
Me - Krista Marie(20)
DH - Tom Lynn(22)
DD - Trinity Kaylyn(4) 7/30/07
DS1 - Blaze Lee(2) 1/27/09
DS2 - Ezra Cole - M/C 8/15/10
DS3 - Durzo Elrich - (NB) 8/25/11

kiwimama022789
Angel
Angel

Postby Heather32 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:30 am

Again I do not believe in baby showers after the first child and we do meet the baby parties and it works out great for our family and friends
KiwiMama: I would and will explain that it is not customary to have more than one baby shower but that instead we celebrated their arrival with our family and friends once they were here. I highly doubt that they would rather see themselves in my belly instead of friends and families arms. DS#6 watched the baby shower video the other day and he was like oh okay...but he much prefers to look at pictures of himself.

Registering: Please remember ladies that most stores will send you coupons to purchase anything you have not received that is on your registry so it might be a good idea to create some kind of registry with everything you want on it so you can at least purchase that stuff at a discount with the coupon. I think it is 10% off registry items at both BabiesRus and Target. I also use my registry as a shopping list LOL
Heather:33 DH:36 DS (6) 11/04 DS (2) 2/09
DD (Brand New!) 8/7/11 8pds 4oz 19 1/2in.
:angel: 04/07 (14wks) Rest in peace sweet angel baby
ImageImage
Heather32
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Toribear5 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 am

In my area 2nd showers are not typical at all. However, my sister and cousin are throwing me a Sprinkle and that surprised me. It's only going to be less than a dozen people and family only. I think it's b/c people want to shop for girl clothing since only boys have been on my side so far ;) Nothing big, it's a potluck and a chance to hang out for a few hours on a Sunday, no biggie.
Tori: 31 DH:29
BFing, BWing, XRFing, baby food making, sign language teaching loving Mama!
Brett Thomas born March 17, 2009
Clara Rose born May 6, 2011

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Toribear5
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby karista » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 pm

This is my second and is the same gender. My best friend asked me if I wanted a shower and I said yes. I have NO baby stuff as we were not planning on having any more children, and most of my family couldn't attend my shower for dd as I lived out of state. I actually think I would be a little disappointed if I didn't have a shower for this baby.

I feel the appropriateness of a shower for a second or more baby is simply a personal choice. If it isn't something your comfortable with then I think a welcome baby party is a great idea!
karista
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jhough0903 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:38 am

My friend recently asked me if she and another friend could through me a "sprinkle" since ds will be 2 in June. I have all the big stuff but we are having a girl this time so she figured I could definitely use girly stuff and who can have too many diapers & wipes. I said sure.
Image DD 6/09/11 Image
Image DS 6/12/09 Image
Jennifer:34 DH:32 Married 09/06/03 Furbabies: Kayla, Meyah, & Belle
jhough0903
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lizc0002 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 pm

People don't do showers for 2nd babies where I live either. I did get one for my 2nd baby from work friends though, BUT that was only because my first baby was a preemie and they never gave me one for her and I think everyone felt guilty, LOL....Personally I am a bit put off when people have showers after first babies, but I don't think the fact that someone is throwing you one makes you a bad greedy person or anything like that. I just think after a first baby buying multiple baby gifts just isn't needed. I always buy a baby gift to welcome every single baby, it is just the custom here to only do showers 1 time for a mother (and just to be clear my 2nd shower was only work people and few if any of them had bought me gifts for my first baby)
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby pinkbabydust » Sat May 14, 2011 1:48 pm

I am having a second shower. I already have a daughter and this one is a girl too. However, I think my situation is a little different. DD1 is almost 12 years old already so there is no way that I'd have things things I need still. Besides that, this baby is to a different family who really urged me to have a shower because it's the first child between me and my boyfriend. Also, I've never heard of having a second shower as tacky. Only online have I read people say that, but in real life, I've never actually heard anyone think that there is anything wrong with it.
pinkbabydust
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Iamca » Mon May 16, 2011 7:30 am

I'm having a shower and this is my second. I probably wouldn't have if it was a girl but it's been 5 years since I had a baby and I don't have blue stuff. I don't love the idea of it but my mom and sister insisted. I've asked my close friends and they don't seem to think it's rude at all.

Iamca
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jennyland » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Iamca wrote:I'm having a shower and this is my second. I probably wouldn't have if it was a girl but it's been 5 years since I had a baby and I don't have blue stuff. I don't love the idea of it but my mom and sister insisted. I've asked my close friends and they don't seem to think it's rude at all.

This. My sister-in-law insisted. Even after I told her no thank you. However, our situation is that my mom missed all of this stage of stuff with my DD. She moved here in July of last year, so she'll be here this time.

Also, we know this go'round that we're having a little boy. I believe this is panning out to be a very small affair, with mostly family and an "in need of" insert in the invitations rather than a full out registry.

Personally, I wasn't/am not comfortable with it, but I keep telling myself it's more for my mom than anything (well, other than DS, ha)!
Me: 08/77 :hb: DH: 07/73

Jennyland
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to Third Trimester