Thought I was in labor last night!

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Thought I was in labor last night!

Postby Syrahfina » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:54 am

I had my first cervical check at my doctor's appt yesterday and as the afternoon went on, noticed that my contractions were increasing in intensity and frequency. It was not like the normal bh I'd been having. By 5pm I decided to start timing them, and I was having 10 per hour until about 8:30pm when they suddenly stopped. Then they picked up again about an hour later and I was having contractions and period like cramps until about 1am. About midnight I went to the bathroom and noticed I lost part of my mucus plug.

During this whole thing I had read online that a cervical check can start labor. Who knew?! My m/w who delivered DS didn't do cervical checks...maybe that's why!

So now I'm a little nervous about next weeks check.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby lachney » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm

If you respond that sensitively to cervical checks, I would just refuse them at your next 3 appointments. There is no real medical reason for them except to see if you are fully dilated and can push after you've been in labor! Since you are term, and pretty much safe to go into labor whenever your body is ready, there is no need for your dr to do cervical checks at this point just to say "oh you're 2 cm dilated" because that means absolutely nothing as far as predicting when you might go into labor. HTH!
Amy, 24; Patrick 26;
Abigail 6.27.10, 7lb 13oz, 21.25in;
Patrick, Jr. 2.2.12, 9lb 12oz, 21.25in

lachney
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HappyGoLucky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Wow I bet that was scary and exciting at the same time!!
You're so close, any time now!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby noahsmommy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 am

I think it might actually be what put me into preterm labor with my son, but my doctor would never agree to that. The cause is still "unknown". I went in to L&D one morning because I thought my waters were leaking, they had to do a swab, so after I began having contractions....turns out my water didnt break....but I was in full blown labor! I was only 33 weeks and I was having some pretty intense contractions, I was sent to a bigger hospital and thankfully labor was put on hold until 37 weeks...I could be wrong, but something just tells me, the exam got things going. Take care, hope everything works out for you! :)
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/noahsmommyh/?
noahsmommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Third Trimester