Pregnancy Question

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Pregnancy Question

Postby NYsBelle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 am

Hey Mommas,

Looking for some advice & input. Sorry if this post is going to be a bit long. FYI – I’m 28w6d along in my pregnancy. Baby Justin is due October 16th.

Last night starting around 7-730pm and lasting until about 2am, I had some really weird stuff happening w/ my back and abdomen. Around 7-730pm I got waves of tightness throughout my back and abdomen and I got pretty nauseated. It was mostly just unpleasant and uncomfortable rather than painful. They pretty much went on continuously.

By like 830-9pm it became painful and it was like the pain would start in my back, move down my back until the whole thing was seized. Then it was like the pain would move to my abdomen and work up my abdomen until my whole abdomen was seized. And like a seesaw the wave of pain would slowly rotate from back to abdomen to back for a good 15-20 minutes. Then there would be like a 10-15 minute lull before happening again.

The pain was worst between 9pm-12am. The intensity of the pain decreased between 12am-2am, and the lulls became longer and after 2am it was over. Baby Justin was extremely active the whole time, lots of flailing and kicking and movement. Kind of spastic. I considered calling my ob/gyn around 1130pm since it had been going on for about 4 hours, but decided not to.

This morning I told my parents what happened and they couldn’t believe I hadn’t called my ob/gyn, especially since Baby Justin was so active what if he had been in distress? That Baby Justin could have been acting like that because he was in distress never even occurred to me! I feel back to normal now and as far as I can tell Baby Justin is back to normal levels of activity.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? Did I royally mess up? Obviously, if it happens again I’ll call my ob/gyn. But now I am wondering if I should call him this weekend and tell him what happened and see if there is anything I need to do this weekend, or if it is something that I should just wait and call his office first thing Monday morning. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:08 am

Those sound like contractions to me. If you get them again, DEFINITELY call your doctor. You don't want to risk delivering early if it's avoidable.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NYsBelle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Emma, thank you so much for your insight! Audrey was a breech baby and I had a scheduled c-section, so I have no clue what things like contractions or anything feels like. Baby Justin recently turned head down from the transverse position, so this is all very new to me.

I did call my ob/gyn. He didn't sound too concerned, especially since I am back to feeling normal and Baby Justin is moving normally. He suggested that it sounded like I was dehydrated and need to keep on drinking more fluids!

He did scold me though and said I should call him whenever anything happens that is 'out of the norm' just in case.

We live and learn!
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 pm

If you get those again, drink some water, lie down on your left side, and see if they go away. If not, call your doctor.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby specialkel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 am

I experienced the same thing on two occassions with my last pregnancy, and once already with this one. It was/is an intestinal issue for me.
It's kind of scary because the pain is similar to labor contractions, but much milder and doesn't last as long. (I got/get through the pain in the same way as contractions, though... deep breathing on my hands and knees. Great practice for actual labor, lol!)

ETA: to answer your Q, though, I believe that a mama's intuition is one of the strongest forces that exist. Your instinct wasn't to call your doc, so I wouldn't say you messed up! I never did, even the first time it happened, because somehow I just understood that the pain was coming from my bowel/intestinal area, not my uterus, and I was not concerned about my baby. (Of course, it never hurts to call your doc for guidance/reassurance if that is what your instinct tells you to do!)
Me: 30
DH: 36
DD1: 4/26/10
DD2: 12/10/11
DS: 11/8/14
specialkel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Third Trimester