Question for anyone who works from home

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Question for anyone who works from home

Postby sohopeful » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:57 am

If working from home, how soon after your lo is born can you reasonably return to work? I mean at what point do you feel physically and mentally able? Assuming of course that there are no complications. I know everyone is different so thank you for any thoughts or experiences.
sohopeful
Friend

Postby redcharlotte » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 pm

I was on maternity leave until about 5.5 months PP. (I took the fall semester off from teaching when I had my July baby.) I started working from home (two Etsy shops) at around that time.

I had a very hard time breastfeeding. It didn't stop being painful until 9 weeks, so I don't think I could have started working until AT LEAST then. But honestly, until she started STTN more (around 3 months) I could barely function. It was just nursing all the time and trying to get sleep.

If someone put a gun to my head, I think I could have done it around 3 months, but 5.5 - 6 months worked out well. At 5.5 months I asked if I could do part-time but my boss wouldn't let me, so I quit teaching and opened my Etsy shops. There was no way I wanted to be away from her for as many hours in a day that a full-time teaching job requires. I'm so glad I made the decision to work from home!

I know each person is different. Just thought I'd share my story with you.
Baby Carrier Stuff Sacks and Sucking Pads at redcharlotte.etsy.com

Mini Buntings, Cupcake Toppers, & Gift Bags at bluecora.etsy.com

We Live on a Boat!

redcharlotte
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sohopeful » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 am

Wow! Thankyou for sharing, that's certainly an eye opener. What is STTN? I guess if I was still working my regular job I'd have to go back after 8-12 weeks so 5-6months would be out of the question anyway.
sohopeful
Friend

Postby bethann » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:49 pm

sttn- sleeping through the night :)
Me: 28, DH: 31
2 furbabies Vegas and Titan
IVF #2 a success! Twins! Born 8-9-10
Surprise BFP the natural way! Baby Ava due in December 2011!
bethann
Angel
Angel

Postby ivycrystals » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I went back to work PT from home at 8 weeks pp. I sell software and work with most of my clients over the phone. I'd just work while she napped. I was mentally fine. I wish I had waited til 12 weeks to start back PT and then 16 weeks for full time.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby megaminty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I started homeschooling my 9yo and 5yo at 3weeks postpartum and returned to work (part time) at 6weeks. Honestly, I enjoyed having something to do besides baby-care at 3 weeks.

I had a normal vaginal delivery with no tears and am formula feeding. A more difficult recovery and/or breastfeeding issues might put you back a bit further on the returning to work. GL!
megaminty
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Third Trimester