On bed rest due to underweight baby at 30weeks gest.

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

On bed rest due to underweight baby at 30weeks gest.

Postby JakesMommy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:45 am

Does anyone have any input/encouragement on being on bed rest due to your baby being on the smaller side?? My doctor just pulled me out of work because our baby is measuring 2.13 lbs and should be closer to 3 right now. I feel great so this is going to be VERY difficult to stay down and allow family/friends to wait on me :( I know it's best for our baby boy but this news was TOTALLY unexpected!

UGH!!! As much as I love our baby I'm going to miss out on this Fall weather!! What activities are safe??
JakesMommy
Friend

Postby stacey0513 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:55 pm

I was sent to the hospital after my son was measuring 2 lbs at my 28 weeks growth scan. I spent 5 days there and then came home on bedrest. I went to the doctor every other day for ultrasounds and NST. He ended up failing a NST one day and they sent me to deliver. He was born at 29w6d at 2 lbs 1 oz. He spent 2 months in the NICU (most of it was just learning to feed and growing). He is now a HEALTHY and happy 3 year old. Are they saying that you are having intrauterine growth restriction or something else? Good luck and I hope you can keep your LO in for a little while longer!

stacey0513
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakesMommy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 pm

He didn't say that it was caused from anything just that the more active I am the more blood flow that will go to me and not the baby. My husband and I come from tiny families; his mom is 4'11" and both my parents are barely 5'3. I was only 116 when I got pregnant and have only gained 12 lbs. So I think it has a lot to do with our size but he's still concerned about me being active. (I work in a preschool as a Tech Support and I'm constantly on the GO!) The doc said he is well proportioned, however just tiny...Hopefully he can start gaining weight at a faster pace with me lounging around :)
JakesMommy
Friend

Postby stacey0513 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Well I hope bedrest works. Start eating bags or chips and cookies! he he JK! Glad that is could just be your activity level and not a placenta problem like I had! GOOD LUCK!

stacey0513
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tellmewy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Sorry to hear about the growth issues and bed rest! I'm on bed rest too, but for preterm labor, not growth. My guy is a little small too but they haven't said anything about it. I was doing great for a few weeks (been on bed rest since 8/19) but now that it is pretty Fall weather it is SO hard! I just want to be out enjoying it. I lay on the couch with the sliding door open to feel the breeze. On the up side my horrendous Ragweed allergies are kept a little bit at bay by being indoors! Talk to your doc about specific activity level. Mine said "you are to be lying down, on your side, except to go to the bathroom and to have your meals. No cooking, cleaning, shopping, or leaving the house except to come to appointments." This is because getting up causes me to have lots of contractions (so does lying down actually). If you are only supposed to be taking it easy then maybe you can do a lot more! Definitely call to get instructions!
Me (Lynn) 29, DH 29 - Married 5 years
DS 11/2011 unplanned csec
DD 1/2014 med free VBAC
EDD #3: 11-5-15

tellmewy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakesMommy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Stacey, funny you mention that about your placenta! I had trouble with that early on too. It was low-lying and so they monitored it every month. It has now moved up on its own and out of the way!! Hopefully I'll be able to have a natural birth now!
JakesMommy
Friend

Postby JakesMommy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Tellmewy, The Fall weather is so nice and enjoyable! I'm going to miss raking :(

I'll have to ask for clearer instructions because I'm home alone due to m husband traveling for work 6 days at a time. My parents are close but I HATE asking for help when I feel so good! If I knew how drastic these limitaions are it would be a lot easier!!
JakesMommy
Friend

Return to Third Trimester