VBAC vs RCS - can't make up my mind. Xposted

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

VBAC vs RCS - can't make up my mind. Xposted

Postby Cakebossmom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 am

My first was a C-section due to:
-15 days overdue
-water broke, but contractions didn't start until 24hrs later
-contractions died down after 12hrs of labour
-pitocin was started because water was ruptured for 36hrs (fear of infection)
-only dilated to 3cm after 22hrs of labour
-after a total of 31hrs of labour, infection set in and baby's heart was dropping
-baby was 10lbs, 23inch with super large head
-baby was posterior

My OB is supportive of a VBAC and says we'll continue to monitor and assess how the pregnancy is going. So far, no issues. I'm torn between RCS and VBAC because I don't want to go through all that and end up with a c-section regardless.

Plus, I keep hearing the recovery is much better with a scheduled c-section than one post labour. An advantage to a RCS is that my family lives 4hrs away and they could plan to be here beforehand to take care of DS.

I'm also scared to go through a vaginal birth and end up tearing badly, which would make my recovery no easier. (Which is obviously what I'm aiming for).

Thoughts? I realize most people here are VBAC advocates, but I'd like for everyone to feel safe to chime in. I want honesty. TIA!
DS born May 2010
DD born April 2012
Expecting #3 July 20, 2014!
User avatar
Cakebossmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:00 am

Postby KimmyH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm

:hugs: It is a very personal decision, and as you know there are risks and benefits both ways. Good luck with your choice! From your account of you first birth, I don't really see anything to indicate that a vaginal birth wouldn't have a good chance of success. It really sounds like your first baby was a little too comfortable in there and overstayed his welcome. I think that it is awesome that your OB is so supportive of VBACs! Is there a way your OB would agree to schedule a RCS at say 41 weeks, and allow you to try for a VBAC if you go into labor on your own before that? Also, you could request a growth scan near the end if having another 10 lber would be a VBAC deal-breaker for you. If VBAC is what you choose, there are many things you can do (herbs, accupuncture, sex, walking, lamazze exercises, etc) to help encourage the baby to get into the proper position and come out sooner than your last LO wanted to.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

Image

Image
ImageImage
User avatar
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Postby Twinklebug » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 am

Kimmy is right-its a totally personal choice, but here are my thoughts: I elected for a repeat C section this time around. It is scheduled for 39 1/2 weeks. I have two year old twins, and not too much family around to help so for us having family fly in to watch and take care of the older kids was a must. Also, my first C section, I didnt think the recovery was that bad...a couple weeks of pain killers and taking it as easy as posssible, and I was feeling much more like myself. I also plan on working up until as close to my due date as possible, and the scheduled C allows me to plan that out much more easily. Of course this is all dependant on Baby cooperating and holding out until her Section date, we'll see-fingers crossed :) Good luck with your decision!
Me: 30; DH: 33; TTC #1 23 months; May-June IVF #1 6/13/09 5 day ET, tranferred 2 blasts, 3 snowbabies on ice. Beta 10dp5dt: 239 Beta 12dp5dt: 568 Beta 16dp5dt: 3026 B/G Twins Born 2/14/10 Aug 2011 FET #1 8/24/11 Transferred 1 Day 6 Blast  9dp5dt Beta : 95 13dp5dt Beta: 816, Singleton!! HB 160
Due Date May 13
Image
Image
Twinklebug
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am

Postby fodla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm

I tend to err on the side of "major abdominal surgery should only ever be done as a last resort".
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am

Postby quinna » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, and still not 100% sure if I'll go with the VBAC (my ob is ok with it), but my first c/s was scheduled, and the recovery was not easy at all, so I'm not sure if it really makes a difference or not with some people. That's pretty much my motivator for having a vbac since I don't want to be incapacitated while having to care for a toddler as well as the new baby.
Ashley (27) DH (37)
Colin Lawrence 3/16/10
Aria Elizabeth 6/22/12
ImageImage
Image
quinna
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 am

Postby *Jessica* » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 pm

My thoughts are this is an entirely different pg and altho you had some things with one pg doesn't mean that they are going to happen again. I had a vbac with my 2nd pg (1st was twins and one was breech so we did the c-sec) and I wanted to experience childbirth...bottom line. I would agree with pp that it is a personal choice. Do some soul-searching...go with your heart. My dr wouldn't let me go over my edd either with a vbac. I had them rupture my membranes to induce vs pitocin. GL!
Boyd and Jessica
Angel Babies-2004, 2008, and 2011
Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Beta #1 733.5 (18dpo)
Beta #2 2345 (20 dpo)
Beta #3 23,102 (28 dpo)
We have a BABY and a hb of 125 and measuring 1 day ahead:)
It's a BOY!
User avatar
*Jessica*
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 2764
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 am

Postby klbrown79 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 am

I was in the same position as you with the first, I was overdue and tried to induce me and didn't work. So I had a section. For my second I had a scheduled c section and it was so much better than the first. I was up and about the healing was so much easier, less pain. You have to do what is right for you and safest for the baby. I am having a third soon and will be having a repeat section. I was going to try for vag birth but all the ob's said no. what did you end up choosing?
Image
User avatar
klbrown79
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:00 am

Postby Fern5Fern » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:46 am

I would choose a vaginal birth because I'd want the experience. My natural birth with DD was one of the most intense, empowering amazing experiences of my life. The hormonal high was worth every bit of the pain. The recovery was so easy. I would be very sad if this experience was taken away from me.
I'd try to do everything you can to get baby and your body ready and in position to go into labor in a timely way on your own. Good luck!
DS1 9/07, DD1 6/09, DS2 4/12, DD2 1/14 homebirthing, extended BFing momma due with #5 12/24
User avatar
Fern5Fern
Girlfriend
Girlfriend
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:00 am

Postby bear21 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

This is such a tough decision for anyone to decide when you hear the risks etc. I found a site called www.mothering.com and I went to the VBAC forums and read a lot of successful vbac birth stories under that column it helped me decide no question to try for my VBAC and I hired a doula. I cant be certain if Ill get what I want but I know I at least tried. But it is a personal choice for everyone whatever you decide is the right choice for you!!
Me: Sheri 32
DH: David 31
DS: Lucas 1

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
User avatar
bear21
Addicted
Addicted
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Vancouver B.C.


Return to Third Trimester

cron