Hyperemesis gravidarum?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Hyperemesis gravidarum?

Postby mamadru10 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

Not many people here have heard of it, but I figured I would ask in the third tri board to see if anyone had it and had a positive outcome? I was diagnosed and not told much else and of course google is filled with horror stories. If anyone has had it could you please share your expierience?
Matthew Glenn 09/02/1999 33w3d
Charles thomas Jr- 6/1/10- born 37w2d!
Alexandria Isabella- 11/21/12 39 weeks

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby klbrown79 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 pm

I had hyperemesis with my first. Its not that bad. I have never heard of horror stories. I was int he hospital because I lost to much weight and couldn't keep anything down. I was sick 24/7 till about 7.5 months I could not work and laid in bed most days. I rather be puking all day and night than deal with something major like some of the other ladies. I went over due and had a c section to a perfect little girl who weigh 7 pounds 3 ounces and 18.5 inches long. I have never heard of any terrible outcomes except some smaller babies
klbrown79
Angel
Angel

Postby mamadru10 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Thank you. You are right I guess worse things could happen. Everything I google talks about kidney failure, premature babies and low birth weight. I don't even know what I can do to try and make things better, I'm fighting the best I can. I was diagnosed in the ER, I went in cause I wasn't able to hold anything down for over 72 hours, they ran a bunch of tests and the doc there diagnosed me but didn't give me any other information except there was a strong possibility I would be seen there frequently and told me that I might want to ask my OB about a PICC line because alot of the time the oral zofran or any of the other meds won't do any good... he didn't say much else.

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby klbrown79 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

I would try to find a food I could keep down. the only food I could keep down was blizzards surprisingly and flat ginger ale and crackers I lived off of for months. I stopped taking prenatals since they made me more ill. I tried to do nothing that had stress involved, I took it easy. I found 24 hour gravol to give me the best relief but nothing truly helped. Saltine crackers were okay too< I nibbled at those all day.I went for acupuncture and massages. I feel your pain. I have never felt so ill in all of my life. But it will go away. try eat whatever you can when you can, rest. Once I stopped working I wasn't nearly as sick. so I didn't work for 6 months before the baby came and just layed around. Your doctor hasn't given you any tips to help?
klbrown79
Angel
Angel

Postby mamadru10 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks for the advice. I am able to keep some things down now but still losing weight. Doc don't seem too worried yet, said if I lost anymore weight this month though it was time to take drastic measures because 8 lbs in a month at the end of my first tri was just too much. Baby is healthy though so who know whats going on. If I lay on my left side and stay there for a couple hours after eating I can keep 5-6 oz of food down now, anymore than that and it immediatly comes back up. I can only do it once a day and then I'm full, have tried dividing that ammount into several meals a day but it hasnt worked, after I have eaten once thats it my stomach refuses to hold anymore food down.

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kaylaxkitten » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 am

i had it, it was brutal...sick the whole time from 5weeks on...lost 15lbs. in the first two trimesters. I literally threw up everything i ate in the 4th month...it was MISERABLE...i was SO weak, couldnt eat and nothing help. I stopped my prenatals too. i prob should have been hospitalized for IVs but never was...I dont think my midwife understood just how sick i was, prob cuz the baby was fine...they recommended me seeing a nutritionist. I had to work through it all too! i'd be throwing up in the bathroom at work :/ (i'm a server). It got much better in the third trimester, i stopped throwing up and gained some baby weight...it eventually turned into mildly annoying nausea...
kaylaxkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mamadru10 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 am

Just wanted to update you wonderful ladies. I'm now down almost 20 lbs, doc said if I havent gained anything by my next visit hes going to admit me. I have still only been able to eat only a few oz once a day. Baby is healthy though so thats what I think matters... wish it would go away though, especially the dry heaving all the time. Stopped taking regular prenatals and switched to flintstones chewables hoping some of it will stay down

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnneB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am

I had hyperemesis with my daughter and no horror story here!! She did come early, but that due to complications with my asthma. I was on a continuous Zofran IV backpack from month 2 to month 7 of my pregnancy and that seemed to help as far as me gaining some weight and staying hydrated. My sweet little princess was born at 35 weeks, had to stay in NICU for a week or two, but like I said, that was not linked to my hyperemesis. Good Luck and try to enjoy your pregnancy as best you can!!
Anne*ME*30
*DH*32
*DS*11 yrs
*DS*9 yrs
*DD*4 yrs
*Angel Baby 5/9/2010
*Baby Due on July 31, 2012!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
AnneB

Postby mamadru10 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 am

Just to update... still fighting a bit but it is getting a little easier to keep things down now. 28 weeks along and have gained 5lbs, but that isnt saying much considering i have lost 22lbs. I'm also anemic and borderline gd... I wonder how much of that is due to the HG that my doc seems to brush off as normal? Baby is a bit on the small side but other than that things are going just fine for us

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Hyperemesis gravidarum?

Postby kindofagirl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:31 am

mamadru10 wrote:Not many people here have heard of it, but I figured I would ask in the third tri board to see if anyone had it and had a positive outcome? I was diagnosed and not told much else and of course google is filled with horror stories. If anyone has had it could you please share your expierience?

I know a lady who has this everytime she is pregnant

She has a 5 year old daughter, she lost a baby at 26 weeks a year ago but has just given birth to a healthy baby girl

She was bed-ill the whole pregnancy and couldnt eat or hardly move xxx

I hope you continue to gain and feel better xxx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Postby beautiful_ash » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm

I had it with DS1 the entire pregnancy and he turned out just fine! Born 7 lbs 8 oz at a day shy of 40 weeks, and perfectly healthy. I was miserable the whole pregnancy and came out of it weighing less than my pre-pregnancy weight, but all was okay in the end. I was able to stop taking Zofran a week after he was born and felt fine after that.

On a note of encouragement, this second pregnancy has been a lot easier. I did have pretty rough all day/night sickness from 5-18 weeks, but after that it started getting better. I'm 26 weeks now and feeling pretty good, only very mild nausea at night and I just pop a Zofran and I'm fine. I never felt this good, even for an hour, when I was pregnant with DS1. So each pregnancy really can be different and just because you have HG with one doesn't mean you will with the next.

Best advice I can give is take whatever meds you need, use ginger capsules and other natural remedies as needed, eat whatever you can stomach even if its not always balanced or perfectly healthy, drink fresh smoothies and lots of fluids, and hang in there! It will totally be worth it in the end when you are holding that little one in your arms.
Me & DH - 27
DS1 - Born 9/27/10 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 8 oz.
DS2 - Born 12/13/12 (39 weeks 6 days), 7 lbs. 9 oz.
Baby #3 - Due 5/1/14
11 DPO beta 42
18 DPO beta 2051
7w4d HB 156 Image
11w5d HB 160 Image

beautiful_ash
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mamadru10 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am

Happy to come back and update that I am now back at my pre preg weight. The m/s eased off in the begining of my third trimester and now it's only there sometimes :)

mamadru10
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kindofagirl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 am

mamadru10 wrote:Not many people here have heard of it, but I figured I would ask in the third tri board to see if anyone had it and had a positive outcome? I was diagnosed and not told much else and of course google is filled with horror stories. If anyone has had it could you please share your expierience?

My friend has had this and gets it really bad, so bad she cant get out of bed cos she will be sick, she has a haelthy 5 year old, and has just had another baby about 3 months ago, she did lose two inbetween but I dont know if it was down to that xx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Re:

Postby kindofagirl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:26 am

mamadru10 wrote:Just to update... still fighting a bit but it is getting a little easier to keep things down now. 28 weeks along and have gained 5lbs, but that isnt saying much considering i have lost 22lbs. I'm also anemic and borderline gd... I wonder how much of that is due to the HG that my doc seems to brush off as normal? Baby is a bit on the small side but other than that things are going just fine for us

Im pleased to hear things are getting better (((hugs))) xxx
kindofagirl
Angel
Angel

Return to Third Trimester