urine or amniotic fluid???

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

urine or amniotic fluid???

Postby LC810 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:06 pm

How do you know if you're leaking urine or amniotic fluid? This is my first pregnancy. I'm just entering the 3rd trimester and this isn't an issue for me right now, and hopefully won't be for at least 8-10 more weeks! But seriously, every time I feel a little "wet," I start to flip out. (TMI? sorry......) It's urine every time, but how will the amniotic fluid be different if it is a slow leak?
LC810

Re: urine or amniotic fluid???

Postby Greystreet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:43 pm

I want to know too! This is my first pregnancy and lately I have been getting episodes of wetness and I was concerned if I'm leaking or peeing! Tmi I know but seriously it's a mystery to me and since I'm in the third trimester I feel like anything is possible!
Greystreet
Angel
Angel

Postby Saraq » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:34 pm

They say if you think you may be leaking to lay down for 30 min - 1 hr and then stand up. If you feel something leaking when you stand up theres a good chance you are leakin. Also by smell, urine will smell like amonia while amniotic fluid will either have no smell or a really sweet smell.

And of course if you are really nto sure, go in and they can test for it very quickly.
Kylie Marie born 5/20/11 at 37 weeks 7lb 2oz
Carter Blaid born 4/6/13 at 34 weeks 5lb 12oz

Baby number 3 due December 12, 2015!!!
Saraq
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby BeccaM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 am

My midwife gave me some strips that change different colors depending on whether it's your water leaking or pee! I always assumed it was just pee, since I've already had a baby and it gets harder to "hold it" sometimes, LOL... Plus, my water didn't break last time until it was time to push the baby out!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carak21 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 am

When I entered the third trimester I notice a lot of extra cm down there. I always had the wet feeling and from then on I had to wear panty liners. I didn't have a slow leak but when my water broke it felt like I peed myself and but in increments not all at the same time. Small gushes more so and it didn't have a smell at all. Mine also had blood in it. Honestly as a first time mom, I probably would not have known it was my water if contractions didn't start. If you ever feel worried or think you may be leaking go in they will check you out and ease your worry or curiosity. Congratulations
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby witchmagpie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

My daughter and I were wondering about this as well. She's 35 weeks along and I'm starting week 23. Both of us keep getting little bits of wetness at random times, but we didn't know for sure what it was. When I was pregnant with my daughter, when my water burst, it BURST. Fortunately I was home so I only flooded my bath room floor, but there was no mistaking what had happened. My SIL apparently leaked water for weeks and didn't know until she went into labor and they found the sack was almost empty of fluid. I'd love to get a hold of some of those test strips that can tell you if it's pee or amniotic fluid!

Jennifer
[list]
[*]me 41, DH 46
[*]PCOS, low progesterone, HSG/SHG done-blocked tubes opened
[*] male factor-low count, poor morphology
[*] 1st IVF cycle successful-singleton born 7/7/13
[*] 2nd IVF cycle failed-mc at 7 weeks 12/9/14
[*] Natural BFP 5/11/15 but very low HCG-waiting to see if numbers double of if chemical occurs
witchmagpie

Postby kaylaxkitten » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 pm

it feels different when amniotic fluid comes out...it also has a sweet smell to it, whereas pee smells like pee...and you can hold your pee in, if you tried to hold in amnio fluid the pressure of holding would prob force more out...
kaylaxkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Third Trimester