Glider rockers

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Glider rockers

Postby hopefullymaybe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:37 pm

UGH! Trying to get her nursery finished and ready. Feel like I can't get anywhere. Partly because the bedding is on my registry and I don't want to get that until after my showers. Partly because I can't find a FREAKING glider to save my life!!!

I don't want to spend a ton on it. I'd love a white glider with grey cushions. Apparently that combo of colors does not exist!!! Next choice would be the upholstered style chair in grey, but those are more expensive than I'd ideally like to spend. Her nursery is light pink, light grey, and white. The furniture is white white. I don't really want a pink chair, because ideally we'd like to put it somewhere else in the house after we don't need it in her room anymore.

Why is this so difficult!?!?!

One of the most frustrating things is knowing that companies make white gliders but they don't come with grey cushions, but they do MAKE grey cushions and the grey cushions come with other colors of wood besides white. :( For instance, I found one brand where the glider is black with grey cushions, the same glider comes in white with beige cushions. You can't special order/mix and match. But why can they not offer white with the grey cushions as an option!?!?

I swear everything is beige beige beige. Furniture manufacturers need to realize that not everyone does beige, and need to start offering grey and other neutrals besides BEIGE!
hopefullymaybe
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Glider rockers

Postby kimberlina23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 pm

I bought my glider off of Craigslist for super cheap and then reupholstered the cushions myself in a fun grey polka dot fabric. Maybe you could do something like that? If you don't sew, you could probably hire someone to sew cushion covers and I bet it would still be cheaper than a brand new glider. Plus, then it would be totally custom and exactly what you want!

Here's photos of mine, if you're curious:

http://www.blendingbeautiful.com/before ... -makeover/
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby hopefullymaybe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:23 am

Wow, that looks nice!!! I'm a little scared if doing that because I have novice sewing skills. I did find a tutorial though that shows it step by step and makes it look EASY! I don't know. Lol.

How did you get the lines of the cushions? Did you just sew down those lines? Like thru the foam and everything???
hopefullymaybe
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kimberlina23 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:04 am

yes, i sewed right through the foam. it was a little difficult because that part had to be done by hand (it was too think and cumbersome for a machine), but i think it was worth it. maybe a mom or friend who knows how to sew can work on it with you? i was able to do mine in a couple of hours and i'm by no means an AMAZING seamstress.
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby em.chelle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm with you on this one! I am not a fan of most gliders/rockers, except the really lovely upholstered ones that cost $1000+ which I REFUSE to pay!

Luckily, I came across this awesome blog: http://www.mrswigglebottom.com/2011/07/ ... ocker.html

The BEST part about the IKEA chair is that it has a nice slipcover (which in white is only $29) so it can be washed if it gets dirty, unlike any other glider/rocker I have seen so far. I contacted a local upholstery business nearby me, and they will add the rocker bottom and everything for around $150 (or sell me the part for $75 and I can do it on my own). I plan on having them do it so that I know it'll turn out perfect ;) My favorite thing is that once we are done with it in the baby's room, we can use it elsewhere in our home without it looking like a baby glider :) We could always take the rocker bottom off and put the legs back on too, and just have a normal chair!
em.chelle
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kimberlina23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 am

wow, LOVE that idea em.chelle! wish i'd stumbled onto that blog earlier!!

Image Image

kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Return to Third Trimester