International Flying During 3rd Trimester?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

International Flying During 3rd Trimester?

Postby DMT » Wed May 22, 2013 3:03 am

Hello Ladies,

I'm coming over from the 2nd trimester group (Due at the end of October). DH needs to travel to the US in mid-September (we work in South Africa), and I was planning to go with him so that I could buy some key baby things and visit my family. Unfortunately, DH can't change the dates of his trip. By the time of his trip, I will be 32 weeks pregnant. We'll be returning within 2 weeks, so I'll be flying just within the 35 week cutoff of the airlines for flying pregnant women internationally. The flight is looooooooooong (15 hr).

Have any of you ladies had experience with flying internationally while in your 3rd trimester? I've googled around and understand that it should pose no real risks for me and baby since we have a "low risk" pregnancy, but hearing from real moms and pregnant ladies would be helpful!
DMT

Re: International Flying During 3rd Trimester?

Postby meganmarie » Tue May 28, 2013 5:07 am

I don't have any experience with flying that late in pregnancy, but I did fly from the US to China during my second Tri and didn't have any problems. I think the only major concern is blood clots from extended sitting during long flights, so just be sure to get up and move around every couple of hours. And drink LOTS of water! Safe travels!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby red_head » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I flew to Africa from the US twice during my third pregnancy. The first trip I was 15 weeks on the trip over and 16+ on the trip back. The second trip I was 32.5 weeks on the trip over and 35.5 on the way home....the cutoff for that airline was 36 weeks. I didn't have any issues arise at all other than having to get up often to pee. It definitely was not comfortable but it was easily doable. I did buy compression socks in a store at the airport just to wear to help with circulation in my legs. I also made sure to try and stay hydrated. Since you'll be with your hubby I would go for it! If anyone knows how to take care of you and make you feel okay, it's him. Mine was wonderful during our flights, and they were VERY long flights as well!
Amy & Matt
Sam (5) Judah (4) Eden (our Ugandan beauty....3) Canaan (1) Pregnant with a baby GIRL!!!

red_head
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DMT » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 am

Thank you so much ladies for your reply! Red_Head, it's very comforting to hear of others' experiences flying so late. The local airline has a restriction for flying pregnant ladies internationally at 35 weeks. I'll be just a few days into my 35th week on my way back! To cover my bases, my doctor said he doesn't see a problem with it, and I've already made contact with a doctor in Chicago who will be willing to support me should I need it! Also, I've made sure to secure an aisle seat so that I won't disturb people (and DH) when I go to the ladies room and need to walk around.
DMT

Return to Third Trimester