Passed 1-Hour Glucose Test, BUT...

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Passed 1-Hour Glucose Test, BUT...

Postby SummerTimeMommy » Wed May 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Have extremely low iron levels... has this happened to anyone else?
SummerTimeMommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Passed 1-Hour Glucose Test, BUT...

Postby darlingdixie51 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Not sure if they are extremely low, but after being told that I failed my 1 hour glucose on the borderline I passed the 3 hour with flying colors according to the doctor and then was told I was low on iron.

So I have to take an iron supplement about 1-2 hours after lunch each day - easy enough after I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to take my pill.
darlingdixie51
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby kimberlina23 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Apparently it's SUUUUUPER common, especially in late pregnancy. Your blood volume increases so much that your iron levels can't catch up. I'm sure a supplement would help. Are you feeling weaker than normal?
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby SummerTimeMommy » Thu May 23, 2013 7:06 am

Hey, thanks so much for your replies!

Luckily, I don't feel any more tired than I did before, but started taking an iron supplement as a precaution. The funny thing is before I got pregnant l, my blood work always showed that my iron levels were unusually high lol.
SummerTimeMommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby kimberlina23 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Mine were super high in early pregnancy also and then dropped significantly at 28 weeks. My midwife explained the whole reasoning to me and wasn't concerned at all. Another easy way to get iron is through leafy greens. I make berry smoothies in the morning and add some raw kale in there to get a little iron boost.
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby AngelaW85 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Yep this has happened to me with very one of my pregnancies. With ds1, I was prescribed those (horrible) iron pills. My iron levels didn't rise and they made me extremely constipated. With ds2, my midwife at the time gave me Floradix Liquid Iron to take. It raised my revels within a week. I also took it with ds3, and my levels rose instantly. I'm taking it now, and I'm sure my levels have risen.

Here are a few things I've learned over the years about iron. The iron pills they prescribe are harder for your body to absorb. Floradix is made of organic ferrous gluconate, which is a lot easier for your body to absorb. When you take your iron, avoid eating or drinking any dairy products within 2 hrs before or after (I take it first thing in the morning and right before bed) bc calcium blocks iron absorption. Also, I drink my iron in a glass of orange juice bc vitamin c helps your body absorb iron. I began drinking green smoothies with kale and fruits that have a lot of vitamin c, like oranges. I've also been drinking raspberry leaf tea. Those have a lot of iron, too. I buy my Floradix at Vitamin Shoppe. HTH! :)
Me, Angela- 28 :kiss: DH, Sean- 32
DS1 '05, DS2 '07, DS3 '10- My 2nd VBAC! :hb:

Our little girl is here! Baby Laila was born 7/17/13 via cesarean, after 36 hours unmedicated labor!
She was 7lbs 14oz and 19in long! :hb:

AngelaW85
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Third Trimester