Does measuring 3wks ahead mean big baby or early delivery?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Does measuring 3wks ahead mean big baby or early delivery?

Postby Jazish » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I've been measuring 3wks ahead for over 10 weeks now. Baby is posterior but I don't know if that effects it. I was just curious if measuring ahead means anything like she will come early or be bigger or nothing at all?
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)
Unofficial edd: 3/3/16

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Does measuring 3wks ahead mean big baby or early deliver

Postby maz882 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:01 am

I'm measuring 1 week ahead and my mw said it just means I may go for an extra scan to check baby's not bigger than expected, tho I don't know how the uk differs to the us!! You can measure ahead for a lot of reasons not necessarily because baby is big. I asked my mw if I was measuring ahead do they induce early and she said no?? So really don't know exactly what they do with the information!! Sorry I know I'm not much help!!xx
Mc at 10 weeks October 2012
Jamie Arthur born September 3rd, 8ib 4oz!
maz882
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Rosie-o » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:28 pm

My midwives have reassured me that scans can be 2 weeks out and are often not very accurate in later pregnancy.

I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead by scans but right on track by tape measurements of my uterus (which the midwives do).

They won't induce early and it doesn't necessarily mean early labour.

Have you had your GTT (diabetes test) done?
Me: 31
DH: 30
DD1: 2nd Feb 2010
:angel2: Sept 2011 @ 9 weeks
DD2: stillborn March 2012
DS: 31st Aug 2013
Rosie-o
Star Member
Star Member

Postby momof7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 am

I have always measured ahead. Normally a week. This last appt it was 4 weeks ahead but on ultrasound baby has measured right on for due date. But I am so streched and this is pegnancy number 10. So no it dosen't mean baby is gonna be huge. And ultrasounds later aren't very accurate.
momof7
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby kimberlina23 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:22 am

i've been measuring about 2 weeks ahead the entire pg and now that i'm further along, my midwives can tell the baby's size by palpating. i have an average to slightly above-average sized baby and i also have a lot of amniotic fluid. if you're measuring ahead based on the belly measurements, it can have nothing to do with the baby and everything to do with how much amniotic fluid your body makes.
Check out my blog (with weekly pregnancy updates and other fun things!) www.blendingbeautiful.com

Image Image

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kimberlina23
Angel
Angel

Postby Jazish » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks ladies! Sorry it took me a bit to answer I've been so sick lately. I have had my GT done and I guess it came back normal since I didn't hear anything. I'm measuring ahead by belly measurements. I am also rather petite so maybe baby is just out further due to lack of space.
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 am

i always measured 3-4 weeks ahead i am 5ft tall and have 8lb + babies so i guess it makes sense there isnt much room in there so i measure bigger

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jazish » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm

thanks everyone, I finally started measuring on track and my baby is actually smaller than normal, my MW is saying she will maybe be 6lbs. I do have a lot of fluid and when I was meausring ahead we found out baby was posterior, once she flipped I measured a week behind or on track each time :)
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Measurement estimates are often wrong. Someone who is really experienced can usually tell much closer if they are palpating (firmly pushing into your belly to find the outline of the baby) the uterus & baby, but it takes a really experienced hand to make a good estimate and even then can be off several ounces to a pound.

The ultrasound measurements are almost always wrong and usually by a pound or more. Every technician and doctor will measure the same scan differently and may get very different weight & length estimates even from the exact same picture. The farther into the pregnancy it is, the more inaccurate the ultrasound measurements are.

Plus, the definition of a "big baby" can vary a whole lot between providers. Some get super antsy when they think the baby is going to be over 8 pounds, and some don't get worried until the baby is well over 9 pounds. Most resources say 6-8.5 pounds is normal but some say up to 9 pounds is normal. However, I have seen so many natural birth stories (almost always with a midwife, OBs tend to be far more aggressive and induce early or insist on a C-section) with babies that are 9, 10, or even 11 pounds that were birthed completely naturally & vaginally and often without tears or just a minor tear. It's very, very, very rare for a baby to grow bigger than it would be possible to be birthed vaginally, and the rare exceptions tend to be because the mother has a malformation of her pelvis (whether a birth defect or from trauma), so I get pretty suspicious when a provider says the baby will be too big to be birthed naturally when there are no other signs that there may be a problem other than the supposed estimated weight of the baby. Heck, the world record for largest baby birthed vaginally is over 14 pounds (might be over 15 pounds? Seems like I saw that record was broken in the last couple years) and the woman in the picture didn't look all that big, so I hardly think that so many women would have trouble with a 9 or even 10 pounder.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:39 am

i also think the definition of a big baby depends on the mother, if the mother has a small frame and is very petite then an 8.5lb baby is big for her but if the mother is 5'10 and heavy set then i guess that would be a normal size.

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Third Trimester