UK Maternity Rights

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

UK Maternity Rights

Postby Maxhappy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:47 am

Hi I was hoping someone could clarify what I believe to be correct. I work 8.30-5.00 with half hour unpaid lunch break. Thursday is my only day off and I have always had my midwife appointments on this day as I believe this is the fairest on my employer. Its noted in the maternity policy that all pregnant employees are entitled to paid time off for midwife appointments and paid time off if midwife advises of other requirements. At my last midwife appointment she advised me to have the whooping cough jab. The only appointment I could get was the following day. This meant finishing work at 2.30 and finishing for the rest of the day due to travel. Under normal circumstances you don't get a lunch for a 6 hour shift. However I did indeed take my lunch as I don't think they can say you can have paid time off but half hour of that has to be taken out of your lunch. Also I really couldn't go that long without lunch. I was surprised when I got back from lunch my Team Leader reprimanded me as she advised I wasn't entitled to it, I advised her that I believed she was wrong as it was paid leave. She then said I would have to take it as holiday or unpaid leave to go for the doctors appointment. I soon showed her the maternity policy which put her in her place but she was still adamant that I shouldn't have had a lunch. Just wondered what anyone elses understanding of this might be! I can just see it in the papersn 6.5 months pregnant woman not allowed a lunch break, yeah I wonder who would come across as the bad guy!
Maxhappy

Re: UK Maternity Rights

Postby maz882 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:10 am

Hey Hun, I'm from the uk and as far as I know you are in the right. You're entitled to whatever paid appointments you need, and as this falls after lunch you should be entitled to lunch as normal. Besides its silly to tell pregnant woman to go longer than normal without food. Whenever I've done this I e nearly fainted. Stand by your guns, I don't think there's a lot they can do xx
Mc at 10 weeks October 2012
Jamie Arthur born September 3rd, 8ib 4oz!
maz882
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 pm

they have to accomodate and be flexible by law. I'm in the UK and work in an office, they have to give U paid leave for appointments and U R entitled to the lunch break. I work 6 hours 3 days a week and 6.5 one day I get 2 15 minute paid breaks for the 6 hour shifts and 2 paid breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch on the longer one. Even if U have a half hour lunch they still have to make sure you have a break after 4.5 hours and if you need to eat and drink they need to allow U. Our maternity policy states adequate rest periods And all maternity appointments to be allowed otherwise its discrimination and your company could be at the end of a legal proceeding if something happens to you as a result of their non existant care. They should also do a workplace risk assesment to see if your working environment is ok if not it needs changing. Get your midwife to write a note explaining your needs im pretty sure if they decide to ignore that then you can take it to HR.

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Maxhappy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you ladies, its good to know that others believe I'm in the right. I'm so frustrated with work right now I can't wait to leave. They are stll chelping on about it. My Team Leaders, Manager wanted evidence of my appointment so I showed her my appointment card which apparently wasn't good enough. I said well that's all I was given so she asked if I could get them to put it on a compliment slip, I said no that's what they provided me with so that should be evident enough. Now they want proof that my midwife referred me for the jab as they still don't believe it was an antenatal thing. I told her so you expect me to go to the doctors in my own time to provide you with more evidence because you don't like the one I gave you. Honestly I'm fuming. I have never been one for taking the mickey with sick but I am seriously contemplating going on the sick cos I know there is absolutely nothing they can do about pregnancy related sickness!
Maxhappy

Postby maz882 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

That's just crazy. I don't understand why they are making your life so difficult. Just look ahead to when your mat leave starts and you don't have to deal with this bs anymore!!!xx
Mc at 10 weeks October 2012
Jamie Arthur born September 3rd, 8ib 4oz!
maz882
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 pm

how long do you have left until your mat leave? i leave on monday and i am so glad my employers have been ok but i travel 30 miles by car and train to work and its just getting too much being so big

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Third Trimester