Baby Shower Timing?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Baby Shower Timing?

Postby TTC in Florida » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:04 am

Hi ladies,

I'm hopping over from the 1st trimester boards to ask a question... what do you think is a good time for the baby shower? I'm due in late February so we really want to avoid doing it around Thanksgiving or Christmas since people are already so busy, but if we wait until mid-January I'll be about 34 weeks. Do you think that's too late?

I'd love to hear what worked for you!
Me (Cara) & DH: 27 * Anniversary: 12.28.08 * TTC for one year before BFP!

TTC in Florida
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Baby Shower Timing?

Postby Robbie88 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am

Hi There! I did mine at 30 weeks.. but I am also due in September so I wanted to do it before it got too hot and I got too uncomfortable. Depends too, are you hoping to get a bunch of larger items that you would need before you start nursery prep and such or mostly clothes? Cause just IMO, if you are asking for essentials then it is better sooner than later.. clothes can typically wait longer...
Robbie88
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sillycar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am

I think anything from 20 weeks or later is fine-- especially considering the holidays. I am having mine at 28 weeks. At first I was a little disappointed that it had to be so early but my sister is expecting a baby September 23. Her first child was two and a half weeks early. So, we wanted to be sure she would be comfortable and wouldn't be too close to her due date. So, September was totally out. Also, I didn't want her to have to leave a newborn to spend a whole day at my shower so it really needed to be before her baby comes. We had wanted August 18 or 25 but the venue was booked. So, it's this sunday August 12- I'm due November 5. It's a little early but there are reasons why we have to time it the way we do. I am sure with the holidays, no matter what you do will be fine with everyone! Also, I am actually really happy with it now. It's the week I start my third trimester. It really allows me enough time to sort through what I have, prioritize some of the gifts (for example, if I get too many newborn onesies, etc) I have time to make exchanges and have everything I really need in place in plenty of time.
sillycar
Star Member
Star Member

Postby meganmarie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am

I don't really think 34 weeks is too late--mine will be even later than that this time! I am doing the opposite of Sillycar, having mine just a little over a month before my due date, on Sept 21st. Like her, the timing is due to other factors, though--I'm out of town the two weekends prior to that, then there's Labor Day weekend and the start of school for all of our other kids, so we just opted for a late shower rather than a really early one. It's cutting it a little close since I had my son three weeks early, but I'll just have to jump in and get everything sorted ASAP. We don't know the gender and have therefore just registered for the essentials, so I don't anticipate too much work. A different group of friends is throwing me a Sip and See after the baby is born, so that people can meet the baby, know what type of gender specific clothing to buy, or give frozen meals. So, I don't think there is one perfect time for a shower, it just depends on your situation and any other factors that might affect the scheduling.

Also, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I had a shower the night before I had her! A friend planned a casserole shower for me, thinking it would be about two weeks before she came, and as it turned out, my mw wanted to induce me early b/c of my blood pressure. So I ended up scheduling my induction around the shower! It was actually a lot of fun b/c it added an extra level of excitement and celebration to the party, knowing she would be arriving the next day! So, there's no such thing as TOO late! :-)
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 am

I had mine I think about 32 weeks. I'm glad I didn't do it later as I felt huge and not liking the idea of entertaining a bunch of people lol.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alberta_born » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 am

Having mine at 37 weeks so I don't think 34 is too late :)
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I think anything after like halfway through the second trimester is fine, even a few weeks after birth works too. Although, I think it works better to do showers for first babies before they are due since we usually need all the essentials whereas it works well for the 2nd or more since you usually have the major stuff unless it's been a long time between kids. Anyway, I think 34 weeks is just fine. The guests will love it because you will be nice and obviously pregnant, people just love that. It might be a bit uncomfortable for you, but at least you'll have something fun to take your mind off it! Plus, you should still have plenty of time to fill in any gaps of stuff that you still need/want and have time to get it all sorted and put away.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jenn_rn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:53 am

I'm a little behind in this reply but my shower was at 35 weeks. My sister and I both work rotating weekends and 35 weeks wad the only chance this summer we had off together. It really is dependent on what works for you.
Kieran Patrick born 9/3/2013 at 3:02pm

Me: 26. DH:30
Married 10/10/2009
TTC since 11/2011
BFP 01/10/2013...due 9/20/2013!!
jenn_rn
Angel
Angel

Return to Third Trimester