Whats the worst CM?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Re: Whats the worst CM?

Postby bazil323 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Just thought I'd add that Pitocin is a crazy drug. It doesn't work for a very few minority, but for most women, it instantly sends them into crazy super-hard and super-long contractions that are beyond anything you would get naturally, and that leads to needing pain meds to cope or an epidural, and both of those slow labor (thus leading to more Pit and then sometimes a C-section because your body is being pulled in two different directions and stalls).

Anyway, there is a huge link between getting Pitocin and/or an epidural before you are 3-4 cm dilated. Heck, you could be walking around for weeks not in labor but at 3 cm dilated, so if you get pushed into accepting Pitocin or an epidural before you are 3-4 cm, remember that it really ups your odds of ending up with a C-section.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby meganmarie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:35 am

There was also a study that just came out this week discussing a possible connection between medically augmented labors (using pitocin) and autism. I don't know if there's anything to it, but clearly, the use of this synthetic drug has it's drawbacks--especially when there is no medical need for it and it's just being used to speed up labor for convenience or to keep the labor progressing on the doc's timetable.
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby felicia1026 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

My oldest son has some sensory disorders and his occupational therapist said that they have linked pitocin during labor to the sensory issues. All the other factors she mentioned didn't apply to me/him so it makes me wonder if that is a cause?
felicia1026
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby brookexallison » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 am

Just read through this thread...and I wanted to share that I had pitocin with my daughter due to health problems. She has had no ill effects from it. I did end up with a csection because of the way she was facing though.
Brooke - 26, Gregg - 29

Addison Mae aka Monkey
10-15-10
7lb9oz
21in.

#2 due 2/15/14

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
brookexallison
Angel
Angel

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am

i heard also that labor inducing drugs can also cause hyperactivity in children. i dont know this is the case but i had syntocinon with my son he was born through c section and is very hyperactive. he has a good diet too with limited sugar and additives. i had the prostiglandin with my daughter and shes cool calm and collected ... coincidence?

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby OCT.4me » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 am

Hynnybunny22 while I believe hyperactivity is based on individual child, you just compared your son against your daughters calm personality. Girls are calmer. I don't understand it and I did have hyperactivity as a child myself, I still wasn't half the hand full my brother was who also had hyperactivity.

I have my three boys, and when they are separated they are so much calmer, so I realize that some how they feed off of each other's energies and that doesn't help me any BUT...they are all busy. The oldest two are hyperactive, and my youngest is so much calmer.

I would have to say that study linking hyperactivity to labor inducing drugs would have a lot to prove, because those meds are in our system for a short period of time. I would think in long term would have an effect but not just eight hours.

This is just my view....and opinion:)
Due Sept. 7th, 2015 carrying this miracle to term!!!

MY CHILDREN

ANGEL BABIES

TWO MORE ANGELS in HEAVEN as well
OCT.4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby meganmarie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm not sure if there's anything to the suggestion that pitocin can cause hyperactivity, but I have to say that girls ARE NOT always calmer than boys! My daughter is 5,000 times more hyper, manic, and dramatic than my son. I did have a small amount of pitocin with her and none with him, but that's not what I attribute it to. I think it's just due to personality differences. I'm hoping #3 follows in my son's footsteps!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:33 am

personally i think all children have their own personalities and differences but it was something i had read not something i wanted to confirm. i also read that c section babies are prone to bahviour problems also but i dont know where these people get their information from. i do wonder if oxygen to the brain can lead to such issues both of mine were born in distress and their blood oxygen levels were low when i was in labor. but again i was assured my children had no problems because of this but i have heard of children being born with cerebral palsy who were deprived of oxygen at birth and it does frighten me. in my personal opinion i would prefer not to use labor inducing drugs and do everything naturally but thats because using these drugs got me into difficulty in the first place not because of studies apparently done on children.

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Third Trimester