Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR)

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR)

Postby erapisces » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 am

Hello ladies, I am at risk of having IUGR and wondering if any of you can share their knowledge or experience with this? I had a growth scan at 29wks because of a bleeding at 22wks.. bub looked fine except she was measuring a week behind and only weighed 1.2kg.. My Ob sent me for another scan at 31wks to see how bub's growing and she didnt grow so much in 2 wks! Bub weighed 1.38kg.. So now my OB wants me to be monitored and have another scan on Monday (32wks+5days)to check fluid,cord blood flow etc.. Im hoping my bub has grown as my biggest fear is that she wud stop growing and will need to have her prematurely.. Im hoping she is fine and just small.. I am tiny myself,only 150 cm and was 40kg before being pregnant so it can be genetics??.. Any reassuring stories or infos from u ladies will be much appreciated.. Thank u!
erapisces
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR)

Postby Lillizzy85 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am

My best friends sister in law was diagnosed with this at 35 weeks. She is taller than both of us at 5'10 and 170lbs so I don't think heights has a huge impact. Their families just have small babies and early. Baby was born two weeks later and was fine. She was a tiny thing at barely 4lb but had no complications. Fx that the next u/s baby has a growth spurt and you make it to 37 weeks. :)
Me 30 dh 38
DD1 7
DD2 2

Lillizzy85
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:41 am

Keep in mind that ultrasound measurements can be off. Usually, people worry about this because they estimate the baby as bigger and want to induce which can make the baby premature and cause some problems. However, the flip side is that sometimes they underestimate the size of the baby and say there is IUGR when the baby is actually fine (sometimes babes don't grow much for a couple weeks because all growth is going into brain/lung/heart/bones rather than putting on length/weight for that short period).

It's still a concern, but the best thing you can do is keep eating a super healthy diet & supplement with any needed vitamins & minerals that you may be short on, especially calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin E. Also, keep up your water intake. The measurements can be off if you don't have enough amniotic fluid, so a little bit of dehydation (that you probably don't even notice the effect of) can cause a slight drop in the fluid level which makes the doctors worry. Try to make sure that they "allow" you to keep baby in as long as possible since that is the best way for baby to grow--doesn't make much sense to deliver early & cut her off from all the support you are giving her in the womb.

If they find abnormalities with the cord or something like that, then that is a game changer and will need further research and may be a cause for early delivery since if the cord can't deliver enough blood & thus nutrients, then yeah an early delivery may be best. If there is no apparent cause, though, then it's a cost/benefit decision on whether to take the chance that she's just going to be petite but now premature because of induction or that there is something they can't see wrong & she needs to come out. Most of the time, it's just that they estimated wrong or the baby is just on the small side but totally fine, but there are a few cases where they really do need to intervene.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby erapisces » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 am

Lillizzy85- Thank u for ur msge! I hope I can also keep my bub in there till full term.. Will update on monday after my scan and im hoping she's grown!

bazil323- Thank u so much for all these infos.. I will make sure to keep her in there for as long as she needs to and hoping my scan on monday shows good things! My last 2 scans showed my fluid is within normal volume so i hope it stays that way and the scan on monday shows no probs..
erapisces
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby erapisces » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 am

Hello ladies, just wanna give an update about my scan last monday! Everything looked good and baby gained 400grams in 10 days!! so at 32wks she weighed 4 pounds.. cord flow was normal and my fluid is also good! my OB is pretty happy so i only need to see her in 3 wks with an update scan to check on baby and a weekly ctg till then to keep an eye on baby.. im so relieved!! :-)
erapisces
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Yay! Glad to see she's growing!
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Third Trimester