struggling with weight and body image. . .

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

struggling with weight and body image. . .

Postby hopefulmama29 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi ladies! Im new to the 3rd tri board :) This is my first baby and it took us a long time to get pregnant. So, i am very blessed to be here. But, the last couple of weeks, im really struggling with my weight and body image. I was about 25lbs heavier than i should have been when we finally got our BFP. I feel gulity that im so big now. I was hoping to stay under 30lb weight gain, but its looking like im not going to stay under that goal. At 28 weeks, i had gained about 21 lbs. More than ANYTHING I want my baby to grow and be healthy. Its just really hard and my husband doesnt really understand. And most my real life mommy friends have never had weight problems. I started "dieting" in middle school, so this is a long battle for me. Any help or insight?
me: 30 dh:32
started TTC#1 Jan. 2012 - "unexplained infertility"
BFP March 26, 2013 - Due December 3, 2013 !!!
7/8 - it's a GIRL!!!! HB 153
9/23 - still a girl! HB 144, 3lb 12oz
10/26 - her name is Clara Grace!
hopefulmama29
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: struggling with weight and body image. . .

Postby Lillizzy85 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Im dealing with the same thing and this is my second pregnancy so it never gets easier. I was overweight when I got pregnant with dd and never lost the weight. So when I got pregnant with this time, I was way over. Right now we should be gaining about a pound a week till we deliver. So if you do the math you'll be on track with your goal. Maybe over by a pound or two. Just eat healthy and know that baby and uterus is gaining the weight, not you. Do something nice for yourself like a pedi or get something cute to wear helps you feel better about yourself. Lots of cuddling with dh helps with the blues. Remember we are in the home stretch! :)
Me 30 dh 38
DD1 7
DD2 2

Lillizzy85
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 am

hi there i am going through something similar. i was around 30lbs heavier to start with i had previously lost 42lbs on a strict exercise and diet plan. we had been trying for our 3rd with 2 miscarriages for 18 months. i had always had cycle issues so the dr told me to lose weight but it didnt work, i am now almost 35 weeks and i have gained 30lbs. i planned on gaining 25 max and im now dealing with the huge boobs flabby thighs and almost all the weight i lost i have gained back and it upsets me but i guess the clomid wouldnt have worked to create our miracle. the way i see it now is my baby will be here in a maximum of 7 weeks, i have gained less than i did last time (i gained 80lbs with the other children) i stuck to eating healthy and keeping activity levels up which has helped. i know its not easy especially when you battle with weight and were overweight to start with but when you see that baby in your arms it is all worth it. i will be back on my diet straight away and starting zumba 6 weeks pp. not long to go now!

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 am

I feel ya! I started out over 100 pounds overweight. Yes, 100. Even now at 32 weeks, I don't have that wonderful basketball-round belly. I have a weird indent running across the middle of my belly at belly button level so it looks like I've got two large rolls stacked on top of each other. Not pretty. And I don't even want to get into how my butt looks! Eek. Thankfully I'm at least proportionate and somewhat tall, so I carry it somewhat ok but I still feel like I'm not that glowing beautiful pregnant woman (esp since DH's cousin & sister are both pregnant and way smaller than I am, depressing). Even though I'm thankfully not gaining a ton (actually lost weight will all my nausea in the 1st & 2nd trimesters so just a bit under my prepregnancy weight now), I still started out way bigger than I ever thought I would be, so I know it's going to be a long road to getting where I want to be after the baby is born.

Anyway, I'm just reminding myself that even though I don't think I look good, I feel pretty healthy and the pregnancy is going pretty well otherwise. My midwife is not concerned at all about my weight, and she said that as long as I am eating healthy and trying to start/maintain some exercise (in particular walking & doing squat stretches), my body will do what it needs to in order to have a healthy pregnancy & baby even if it means gaining more than I like by the end.

My doctor (doing shadow care just in case homebirth doesn't work out) basically said the same thing, and she said that, while you don't typically lose a whole lot in the first couple weeks (basically just the weight of the baby and a couple-few pounds from fluids rebalancing), by 3 months many women, especially those who are heavier, will lose about 30 pounds pretty easily if they are breastfeeding and eating healthy & drinking lots of water. She said that usually the longer you can breastfeed the easier it is to lose the baby weight since your body is using so much energy to produce milk, but she also said that you should not diet while breastfeeding, just eat healthy and do exercise, so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and hoard every calorie.

I hope that helps put some perspective on it. I try to think of that when I start getting down about how much I weigh and how much I may weigh by the end. I try not to think about the actual numbers and try to focus on how I feel rather than how I think I look.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby meganmarie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am

This is my third pregnancy and while I naturally assumed I wouldn't gain any more than I did last time (around 22 lbs), the weight has come on so much easier this time despite continuing a 4x/week exercise program and not going TOO overboard with eating. I was feeling a lot of anxiety at my appts at the thought of seeing the number on the scale continue to go up, even though my midwife hasn't been concerned about it at all, so I finally just decided to start weighing in with my back to the scale. If it doesn't bother her, there's no reason for it to bother me! So I have no idea what I've gained at this point...ignorance is bliss, I suppose! She did say some women just gain more weight despite every effort not to. As long as you are staying active in some way and the baby is healthy, that's all that matters. You'll have plenty of time afterwards to focus on getting the weight off. This is just one of the many sacrifices we mamas make for our kiddos!
Team Green!

DD is 7, DS is 4

meganmarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Ashley E » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 am

*Lurking*

Just to give you a boost of confidence I lost ALL my baby weight within 2 weeks of giving birth. Now, I am of normal weight, gained 30lbs with DD, and exercised throughout my entire pregnancy, but I lost all the weight without doing a thing except giving birth and nursing. Breast feeding is an excellent calorie burner (I think I read somewhere it was about 3,000 cals a day). Do not stress about the weight, I am sure you look absolutely beautiful and just glowing. Do not stress. :)

7/12/2013- Surprise BFP :)
EDD March 21st, 2014 *stick, stick, stick*

It's a girl!!! Addy Scout Egerdahl <3

*Two angels in Heaven*
2/7/13 ~11 weeks
5/6/13 ~ 6 weeks
Ashley E
Star Member
Star Member

Postby hopefulmama29 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the support, insight, and encouragement ladies! Although it stil crosses my mind, i've put my weight issue on the back burner for now. It seems like things have leveled off a little. Im 32w now, and have gained about 25 lbs.
me: 30 dh:32
started TTC#1 Jan. 2012 - "unexplained infertility"
BFP March 26, 2013 - Due December 3, 2013 !!!
7/8 - it's a GIRL!!!! HB 153
9/23 - still a girl! HB 144, 3lb 12oz
10/26 - her name is Clara Grace!
hopefulmama29
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Thinkpink2013 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 am

I feel you on the weight gain/image. Glad I stumbled across this post. The advice from you ladies is great and as previously said everyone is different and as long as the weight gain isn't extreme enough to cause health problems for u and baby just continue to eat healthily and take a bit of exercise and you'll be fine. Just doing your hair and putting make up on makes u feel better and def go for a mani/pedi never fails to cheer me up :)
This is my third and it's the least weight I've gained 32 weeks 4 days gained 23lbs. Hoping to gain no more than 28lb so should be almost on target. However
I was 12lb overweight from my last who turned 1 as I fell with this baby so I will have around 42lbs to lose hopefully in 5 months as I'm maid of honour for my best friend and the wedding is end of May!! And I've already ordered my dress in pre pregnancy size, no pressure there then lol! X
Thinkpink2013
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Third Trimester