Membrane Sweep - how effective

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Membrane Sweep - how effective

Postby Maxhappy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 am

I was hoping someone may have had the same scenario. I am 40 weeks +1 day and 2cm dilated but not in labour. My midwife did a membrane sweep and said baby is 3/5 palp and my cervix is soft and stretchy with a thickness of half a cm.

My midwife believes labour is iminent but obviously cannot guarantee it. I was wondering if anyone else had labour start given the above circumstances. I'm so ready for baby to arrive now.
Maxhappy

Re: Membrane Sweep - how effective

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:58 am

they are effective as long as your body has done some of the work already. your 2cm so theres a good chance it will work. it doesnt work for some women and works for others, i couldnt have one twice because my cervix was high and posterior so high it couldnt be reached. good luck to you!

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Ditto that. From what I read, it only works if your body and baby are ready to go into labor--it just tips the balance towards labor. If your body is not ready (no dilation, firm long cervix), it's probably not going to work.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby nicle30 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 am

I just had this done yesterday. I'm 39 weeks 6 days and was 1cm dilated. It hurt really bad and I had some immediate discomfort but then have had nothing since. Just now hoping and praying I go into labor soon :)
nicle30

Postby Maxhappy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Thank you ladies, well it didn't work. Proper gutted, book in for inducing next Saturday if nothing happens. I have had mild cramping which can only be described like period pain. Really thought this was a sign as that's how I started off in labour in my first pregnancy.

I think I'm just so gutted because all the signs are there but nothing happening, just can't wait to meet my little bundle and see what gender baby is.
Maxhappy

Postby bazil323 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:06 am

Have you tried nipple stimulation? It's one of the only natural methods that really works. It works because it causes a release of oxytocin which is what causes contractions. Oxytocin is what they will give you in the IV when they induce you, but the difference is that the IV will be synthetic oxytocin that doesn't reach the brain meaning there is no warm-and-fuzzy feeling from it. It will just have the uterine contraction effect, and there is no way for your brain to regulate how much is given, so it jumps from no or few contractions to full on hard contractions.

Um, sorry for the science lesson. I can not seem to keep my brain focused these days! Anyway, one way you can do it is by using a breastpump for like 10-15 minutes per side, off for 1/2 hour to an hour, and then back on for another 10-15 minutes. This will kind of simulate breastfeeding which is a great oxytocin releaser. Your partner can also do the nipple stimulation if he's willing, and then that may lead to sex which also can help get labor moving (because of the prostaglandins in semen, this can help soften the cervix as well as orgasm releasing oxytocin).
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby nicrye » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 pm

baszil323-thank you for that great information! I am not yet 30 weeks but once I hit 35 I will start asking DH for some "sexy" time lol! I want this baby to come before Jan. 1st!
nicrye
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby OCT.4me » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 am

WELL here is my advice; Nipple stimulation...you need to create the exact hormone like pitocin and this is it, I went into the labor within 18 hours of doing this.

It has to be done like this

nipple stimulation means the entire areola and nipple, and do this until you feel the first contraction or cramping, stop and weight until it is done and then stimulate again; hold off when they are getting closer together, and these can create intense contractions.

I had mine get five min. apart before I quit. They did go away entirely and then that evening I started again. It worked though because I went into labor 8 hours from then. Good luck
Due Sept. 7th, 2015 carrying this miracle to term!!!

MY CHILDREN

ANGEL BABIES

TWO MORE ANGELS in HEAVEN as well
OCT.4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Ditto this! My midwife said that using a double electric pump works pretty good if you don't have access to a nursing baby or your partner can't/won't provide the right kind of manipulation (more than just light caresses).

Also, your orgasm will release oxytocin (same hormone that is released with nipple stimulation & is the natural version of what Pitocin is), and my midwife said that it's perfectly safe to have sex even in early labor, provided your water hasn't broken yet. Bonus is that the semen has prostaglandins which help soften the cervix so that it can dilate more effectively. Prostaglandins in semen are the natural version of Cervidil (the cervical ripening agent they sometimes apply at/on the cervix to help soften it; note that this is not Cytotec which is NOT safe and has a black-box warning from the manufacturer and the FDA against its use in cervical ripening, though many doctors still use it for that off-label use).

bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Third Trimester