Article on differences in pushing styles

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Article on differences in pushing styles

Postby bazil323 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I've read similar information from other sources, but I thought this was a nice write-up on the diffences between coached pushing (the nurse or OB telling you when, how long and how hard to push) versus spontaneous or physiologic pushing (pushing when, where, and how your body directs you to). I found it very interesting that there is no basis for coached pushing in the literature and that there is no direction from ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) on pushing styles. I also found it interesting that the mainstream obstetrical community is slowly moving away from the coached pushing in favor of spontaneous pushing for many reasons, including that it showed little to no difference in the length of the pushing stage but an increase in tearing, urinary problems, maternal exhaustion, etc. when coached pushing is used.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-push ... .bc?page=1
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Article on differences in pushing styles

Postby MrsJenkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 am

I love your posts Bazil, they are always interesting and informative. I'm going for a natural birth via Hypnobirthing. We just finished the classes and now I'm reading the book and practicing the self-hypnosis scripts. I can't speak more highly about the Mongan method of hypnobirthing. All of my apprehension about giving birth has been replaced with a quiet confidence and peacefulness. I'm quite excited to see how my mind and body handle the whole birthing process. It's amazing what the body can accomplish once it gets rid of fear, and once the body is allowed to do what it was built to do! :-)
Promise us you'll come back after you've had your baby to share your experience with us please!
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby bazil323 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Aw, thanks MrsJenkins! I feel like it's really important to share the tidbits we all find so that we can all have better shots at having a birth that will be powerful and motivating in a good way. I will definitely give an update on the birth and will try to do a whole birth story because I eat those up.

Please let us know how the hypno birth goes too! I've heard such positive things about it but haven't really looked into it.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hopefulmama29 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:31 am

Great article!!! Thank you so much! Going to discuss w my ob at our next appointment!
me: 30 dh:32
started TTC#1 Jan. 2012 - "unexplained infertility"
BFP March 26, 2013 - Due December 3, 2013 !!!
7/8 - it's a GIRL!!!! HB 153
9/23 - still a girl! HB 144, 3lb 12oz
10/26 - her name is Clara Grace!
hopefulmama29
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Third Trimester