Repeat csection question

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Repeat csection question

Postby eggs#4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 am

So I'm having a repeat csection. And have it scheduled but doctor says if I go into labor to go into hospital and nurse will call him in. I never thought of asking him at what point will they do the csection? After you dilate to a certain #? Stage? I'm getting to the end and thinking about this a lot. And I won't see him again for three weeks at 36 and my first baby came that early! He is on vacation next week so I will see his PA instead. Any other moms been here and give a lil direction?
Thanks!
eggs#4
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Repeat csection question

Postby cassie9570 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:21 am

I am having a repeat c-section in January and they won't do the c-section early just bc you are a little dialated. If you are in full blown labor then they will do it right away and not let your progress. They don't let you labor bc you are having one again for a reason and don't want the liability
Stephanie-34 DH-37
DS - March 2012
DD- January 2014
Have a fur baby Pug that is 10
cassie9570
Addicted
Addicted

Postby bazil323 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 am

What cassie said. I work in a hospital, and if you were planning on a C-section and come in already in labor, then they get the OR set up as soon as possible and do the surgery right away, which still will mean at least 20-30 minutes because they have to get the room ready & all the people ready which does take time. If it's a busy hospital on top of that, you may wait longer, but I think they bump elective surgeries if they need to.

Now, you would probably have to meet the definition of active labor first, which is generally contractions every 5 minutes and lasting for about 60 seconds and cervix dilated to 4 cm. They may do it sooner if they are concerned about your or baby's health.

The only time they would make you wait for a C-section would be if you had planned on a VBAC in which case they would obviously let you do a trial of labor to see if you could deliver vaginally, but they are pretty conservative and have the OR on speed dial, so to speak, just in case.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby eggs#4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you guys! I had a planned csection last time but never went into labor and they took our son at 37 weeks due his condition. This baby is healthy so I am anxious on how it all works. Thank you!!
eggs#4
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Third Trimester