Breech Baby section??

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Breech Baby section??

Postby Welshyttc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 am

Hi all,

Just looking for some info on breech babies/ECV and sections!

My baby is breech (34 weeks currently so I know that there is time to turn but she has been breech all along). I have an appointment with the consultant at 36 weeks and he stated that if the baby is still breech he will arrange for an ECV to turn her.

I am under shared midwife and consultant care due to a cyst that was found on my first scan. The plan is if I have a vaginal birth I then go back to have ultrasounds to check the cyst and then an op to remove cyst 6 weeks after birth.
If I have a section then they will remove the cyst there and then.

I am really confused as to what to do. If it was not for the cyst I would have the turning ECV procedure, But the more I think about it the more I just think to have the section and cyst removal at the same time. I know a section is not ideal but having an operation 6 weeks after is not either?

Bit confused as I don't know what to do for the best!??
Welshyttc

Re: Breech Baby section??

Postby Hfesing » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 am

My daughter was breech the whole pregnancy as well. The Dr had suggested a "version" or something like that to manually turn the baby. I had an anterior placenta, and the thought of them pushing and going out of their way to make her turn just didn't sit well with me. They told me that in the end, if I went with the version, I could be rushed into an emergency c-section, the baby could flip back to breech, or it just might not work at all and we would have to schedule a c-section. We just didn't want to take the chance of anything happening, and we were going to decide against the "version". I ended up going into preterm labor and delivered her at 34 weeks by c-section anyway. I will tell you that my experience with the c-section was not bad at all. I also know of several ppl that had the "version" done, and one said it was EXTREMELY painful, and the other was rushed to an emergency c-section.

Either way, weigh all your options and decide what's best for you and your baby!

Bentley Jennifer 3-30-2006 (6 weeks early) after TTC for 2 years!

Unexpectedly expecting #2 after TTC for 5 years and giving up. Fallon Debra is due to March 12th, 2014!!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Hfesing
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lydsh3 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 pm

I can see why that's a tough decision! How invasive would the surgery to have the cyst removed be? Do you think you'll have more children? If so, it seems like it's harder to deliver vaginally after a c-section, so that might be a factor as well. I'm sure you've been researching, but one source I saw said that versions are successful about 58% of the time. Man, that's a tough decision! What is your midwife recommending that you do?
lydsh3
Star Member
Star Member

Postby armywife1980 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 am

I've heard chiropractic care is more successful in turning babies. Also there is a site called spinning babies.com that has tips on getting baby to flip. One of my twins was born footling breech vaginally with no issues.
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby JennMarie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:24 am

My first baby was breech and they attempted a version. I could tell something wasn't quite right though because they weren't able to move him at all... and it was VERY painful. They attempted a few times but were unsuccessful. During the C-section we discovered why. His head was wedged under my ribs - in fact, it took two men to pull him out during the C-section. He would never have turned on his own or during the version attempt. It always makes me wonder what the reason is that baby is turned breech considering they are hard wired to be head down. So because of my experience I would personally suggest just having the C-section if your baby does not decide to turn because you just never really know what is going on in there and there are so many risks associated with trying to turn them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and please KUP! :)
Me-34
DH-40

JennMarie
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Welshyttc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Had my appointment with the doctor and baby is still breech.
They offered to turn her but I declined- don't think they were overly impressed but I said no!
She has been breech all along. I know that a c-section is not a great option and that recovery is going to be a pain in the a!@e but have heard some horror stories about the ECV.

This way they are going to remove my cyst at the same time as the baby. All booked for feb 20th. So we are on countdown now :))
Welshyttc

Return to Third Trimester