Length of Contractions

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Length of Contractions

Postby BabyJ#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

How long should contractions last? I'm 38 weeks and have been getting waves of contractions that last 5-15 min, and in that time the intensity fluctuates but doesn't go away until it's all over. I know they're not supposed to last even a minute until active labor, so am I having several back to back so closely to where it feels like one super long contraction?
BabyJ#1
Friend

Re: Length of Contractions

Postby Gonzo1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm

I have the same thing, babyj, as do a few other women on the board. Take a look at the thread a little ways down titled "long Braxton Hicks contractions."

Its amazingly annoying I know!!! My midwife said that its normal, but just keep track of them. I have 30-60 min contractions basically all day. If you start having pain or blood or if they feel like menstrual cramps... then you start to really pay attention and alert your caregiver. Also, you should check your firmness all around your tummy. The top of my uterus near my ribs stays softer than the rest, another brax sign. I've had it mow for several weeks. My mother ended her pregnancies in the same way.

You can also read up on irritable uterus? Don't dr Google diagnose yourself but if it sounds like you, you can ask your doc about it when you mention your long contractions at your next visit.

Hope that helps.
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Length of Contractions

Postby BabyJ#1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks Gonzo. I had another drs appointment last Friday and they are real contractions, not just BH's or irritable uterus, based on the physical symptoms i feel and a noticeable pattern that is becoming more consistant, though not close enough to declare labor. My doc says I am beginning to soften but still no dilation. Gona give it one more week and if there's still no change we'll schedule an induction, though I really hope my baby boy decides to come before then. Either way, I'll have my baby in my arms no later than Feb 21st! :-)
BabyJ#1
Friend

Return to Third Trimester