Nipple stimulation to induce labour

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Nipple stimulation to induce labour

Postby Cath » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:24 am

Has anyone used it as a method to start labour or to try and bump pre labour into active labour?

I've been having cramps and the odd contraction off and on for a week, so for the last 3days I've been doing Nipple stimulation, and after almost 2days I started having contractions. But they don't seem to go anywhere, I can get them to about 2-4 minutes apart while using it, but then they seem to space out when I stop and become irregular.
While using the Nipple stimulation they were 2, 2 and a half minutes apart, when I stopped they went to 3:46-11:59-2:24....

So am I doing it wrong? Is it pointless?
DP-28 Me-25
DS1- 12-4-09 -9lb 7oz
DS2- 12-5-11 - 7lb 5oz
DD- Due 8/4/14
5 Angel-babies
*Breastfeeding and Pregnant*
Cath
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Nipple stimulation to induce labour

Postby lydsh3 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 am

I had the same experience with nipple stimulation. The contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, but then fizzled as soon as I stopped. I'm beginning to believe nothing will work. Any luck on your end?
lydsh3
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Whig » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 am

I tried this with #1 and nothing came from it. I even sat there in silence (DH was gone and it was just me, so nice and quiet) for about 30 minutes and used my pump on either side while reading. NOTHING! I dont know that it does much...

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DD #1 - Cecelia Kathryn - June 18, 2011
This baby is another GIRL!!!! - Calliope Jean
Whig
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby bazil323 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I didn't think it did much when I tried it the day my water broke (a Friday), but 3 days later on Sunday afternoon, I tried it a little more consistently, using it like 15-20 minutes four or five times and then went walking around a couple stores in town and then when we got home, DH made very spicy pasta and I pumped a little more. I finally got contractions between 10-20 minutes apart that didn't stop. I don't know if it was just time or the combination of things that got it going.

My midwife said I would have had to pump more to really see results, but I can't remember how much and often she said. I think it was like 30 minutes and repeat like every hour?

Personally, I think you have to already be close to labor for it to help. It may help you go into labor a few days sooner if you keep doing it, but I don't think it would help if you start from nothing and only do it a few times.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Third Trimester