Stupid Braxton-Hicks

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Stupid Braxton-Hicks

Postby lydsh3 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 am

So according to my doctor, I was due last Thursday. 6 days ago. I thought all along based on temping and early u/s that I was due more like today. But it's hard not to get her date in your head and just hope that maybe it will happen sooner. I tried to fight it, but I thought surely it would happen between her due date and my due date--silly, I know.

I have been having Braxton-Hicks for a few weeks now. They are pretty frequent--under 10 minutes and often around 5 minutes apart when I time them. They have been getting stronger. And last night, the contractions were feeling strong and frequent, so I started timing them around midnight. They were about 2-3 minutes apart, fairly regular. I thought it was awfully close to be anything real, but I thought maybe, just maybe my body has been prepping itself so well for the past few weeks things were going to just get off with a bang.

Soon I noticed they were more like 3-4 minutes apart. Then 4-5 minutes apart. At 2 AM I went to bed. Really? Reverse labor? Doesn't that just seem cruel?

Anybody else just waiting for that labor to start? Or looking to sympathize with me? :-)
lydsh3
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Stupid Braxton-Hicks

Postby Whig » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 am

Oh my gosh!!! I'm not waiting for labor to start yet, but I can and will sympathize!! I never went into labor on my own with my first, we went it to be checked for leaking fluid and ended up getting induced that morning, so I have no labor stories to share. I am scared this same thing will happen to me too in a few more weeks (few = 8, which isnt really a few but it helps me feel like it's closer than it is! :))
I hope your contractions start picking up for real ASAP!!! and good luck!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DD #1 - Cecelia Kathryn - June 18, 2011
This baby is another GIRL!!!! - Calliope Jean
Whig
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ceebeebee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 am

Yes totally!!!!

i have had BH since about 25 weeks ish, but more recently they have been so intense, and last night were every half an hour, and lasted for about 2 mins. They are so strong that they wake me up! I`m literally waiting for this baby now, and these get my hopes up it`ll be sooner rather than later.....

For anyone that has had these and isn`t a first time mum, did you know the difference between labour and BH?? i`m scared i wont, or that i`ll be in early labour and just ignore it.
Me: 35, DH: 36, DS: 15months
TTC #1: 10months BFP 1: 8th August 2013
DS born by CS on 12/04/2014 (6lb1.5)
TTC#2: 6 months BFP 2 : 16th July 2015
DS born by induction/forceps on 30/03/2016 (7lb9)
ceebeebee
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Whig » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 am

CeeBeeBee,

Yes, you should recognized when the real things start! They HURT!!! They aren't just uncomfortable like the BH are, they take your breath away from pain. One thing I've always heard is that if you can talk through the contraction, it's either BH or a very early labor contraction. Once they hurt enough for you to have to stop and take a minute to get through it, they are real! The BH will also fizzle out when you get up and walk around, whereas the real ones wont. Good luck with things!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DD #1 - Cecelia Kathryn - June 18, 2011
This baby is another GIRL!!!! - Calliope Jean
Whig
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lydsh3 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:06 pm

You have probably already had your baby by now, but I was able to tell the difference between the Braxton-Hicks and real contractions. The Braxton-Hicks seemed more like tightening and were especially strong around the top of the uterus. Sometimes they got pretty uncomfortable, which led me to get my hopes up. The real thing felt more like my menstrual cramps and the pain was focused on my lower abdomen. They didn't start off super painful at first, and actually I didn't notice them getting stronger for a few hours. My husband thought I couldn't be in labor because I was doing house work and acting fine. I was just so happy to finally be in labor (11 days past my due date!) that I was GLAD they hurt! I was pretty confident it was the real thing, though. They became regular at about 4 minutes apart pretty quickly, whereas the Braxton-Hicks were never as regular. These weren't exact either, but pretty consistent. Hope that helps!
lydsh3
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ceebeebee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 am

thanks for the reply unfortunately i will never know the difference as i had an urgent c section due to baby being transverse at 39 weeks. Fingers crossed if i am lucky to have a second i will hopefully get a natural birth : )
ceebeebee
Star Member
Star Member

Postby lydsh3 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:28 pm

I hope everything turned out well for you and your babe even if it wasn't your first choice for your birth experience.
lydsh3
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ceebeebee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 am

Yes at the end of the day a c section was safest for me and him, and i couldn`t have prevented it or helped it so that helps. Just feel a little robbed, but i think in reality what does this mean in the grand scheme of things.....he is here and healthy and thriving, i`m on the mend just a little sore :)
ceebeebee
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Third Trimester