Advice anyone? I want to work but don't want to do daycare.

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Advice anyone? I want to work but don't want to do daycare.

Postby Rosiegirl » Sun May 25, 2014 10:13 am

My baby boy will be here in just a few weeks, and I can't wait to meet him!
I have a good job, and I like working.
The problem is I do NOT want to put my son in daycare. I worked in a daycare when I was in college, at a very highly rated one, too, and the truth is even if a child is the sweetest most lovable snuggle bug in the whole class, that child is one of at least 3 needing the daycare workers time and energy and attention. It's just too much! Especially for a worker getting paid so little. They really should get paid more!
I've checked some nanny and babysitting sites and I haven't gotten good vibes so far.
Anyone in the same situation or have an advice to offer?
Rosiegirl

Re: Advice anyone? I want to work but don't want to do dayca

Postby KayBaby » Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Any family?
KayBaby
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby sarahmarie » Tue May 27, 2014 6:34 am

I asked my boss if i could work from home after the baby comes, and he said yes!! Is this an option for you?

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rosiegirl » Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks for reading and replying girlies.
No family to watch baby full time. Maybe a few days here and there.
And definitely no to work from home unfortunately! But I'm so happy you have that option! I would love that!
I'm just stumped!
Rosiegirl

Postby Kodak2057 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Really all you can do is to keep looking at nannies and maybe check out daycares that possibly have lower ratios or even someone who takes care of just a couple in her home. Maybe a friend who is on mat leave who would want to stay home but needs income might be willing to take yours in so she can not go back to work? I don't think there really are any other options. Good luck!
Kodak2057
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ashtonsmom » Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 am

@Rosiegirl hi, I have a 4yr old and it has been TOUGH!

I've never done daycare centers fortunately but he's gone to in home daycares since being born which are a little more intimate in setting. Now I won't lie to you, i've gone thru like 10 maybe more but alot of it was due to schedule changes or moving. I only didn't really like maybe 3 of the 10 lol and one that was completely unstable which i didnt find out till after he only went there 2wks tho.

Unfortunately its a gamble with daycare situations. When I moved to MS my mom kept him for 4months but we were living with her then. Since I've been in Nashville he stayed with my cousin for a year which was good but then doing business with family sometimes is not the move! I sent him to stay with my mom about 3hrs away for approx 3months while I did a thorough search. Needless to say back in Dec 2013 I FINALLY found a reliable and dependable babysitter that i LOVE! My problem moreso has been scheduling because I was on nights for like a year n a half.

When I got preg this time I moved to days this year and its worked out best. Now with baby #2 due, DP was going to keep him because i worked days n he nights but he got laid off so now we are kinda in the same situation when I return to work but I do have 3months to figure it out! So i'm not worried DS1 is going to preK finally! Lol (was a single parent until this year)

Good luck you will definitely find something!!
DS1: 5
DS2: 1
DP: 32
ME: 31
It's a GIRL!!
20wk 5d :hb: 153bpm
Ryland Alyse due Nov 12.15

Ashtonsmom
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jleroux30 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:13 pm

I would check out local home daycares and also consider a nanny share. This would be where you would join with another family (or two) and split the cost of a nanny. I'm a nanny and have worked for a share in the past and it was pretty good. They split my salary and there was an agreement ahead of time regarding where the care would take place, my hours, my rate, my days off/vacation/sicktime/holidays/personal days. This way, both families would be on the same page.
Another thing to consider is to work only 4 days, perhaps 4 longer days so that you could have a 3 day weekend with the little one. It might be easy to swing drop off and pick up between you and your partner so the baby isn't in care for over 10 hours a day...and then you'd save yourself the extra day of cost...but that only works for in home day cares and nannies...a center will want you to pay for the whole week, regardless of how much you use it.
Me: Jaimee 38, DH 41,

jleroux30
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Third Trimester