Advice needed: status fundal height growth 40 weeks

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Advice needed: status fundal height growth 40 weeks

Postby Elisawood2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 am

Hello ladies,
I used to be an avid poster on the ttc boards and just resorted to stalking over on the preg boards and gaining advice from other topics.

I posted about 9 weeks ago about a privatel growth scan and the mw brushed this off even though he was measuring quite far behind as my fundal height measurements were good.
Now between 38 week app and my 40 week (due date) app today the fundal height measurements has been static and makes my chart look awful.
I have been referred to the hospital tomorrow for a day of monitoring, tests and scans. I am so unfamiliar with anything like this, so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light and ease my fears perhaps?
Will I be induced or just watched closely? I am still recovering from my stretch and sweep I had done today!!!!
Many thanks ladies. I hope all pregnancies are going well as due dates are close/past.
E x
TTC #1 for almost 3 years
May 2013 third round clomid (100mg) - BFP!!!!! 6 week scan TWINS!!! Miscarried 6 weeks 4 days :( my little angel babies
September 2013 fifth round of clomid 50mg - BFP - ectopic pregnancy diagnosed November 12th, emergency surgery as tube leaking. Lost right tube and angel baby went to join the others.
No more clomid and waiting for IVF and my rainbow baby
Rainbow baby conceived the month before IVF due to start - miracles do happen
Elisawood2
Friend

Re: Advice needed: status fundal height growth 40 weeks

Postby MorghanW » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:09 pm

It will depend on how the scan goes, what they will do. While there they will check growth of the baby as well as a few other things- heartrate, if the baby is practicing breathing, if the baby is head down, the look/placement of the placenta, if baby is moving well, and if baby has enough fluid. They will likely do something called an NST as well (a belt around your belly that monitors baby's heartbeat to see if it is fluctuating appropriately and make sure there are no troublesome decelerations.

Depending on how long ago your last growth scan was, they may or may not take a small baby very seriously if everything else is normal (of course depends on percentile). Fundal height can be very misleading and measurements aren't perfect, so these scans/tests will help make sure baby is doing okay inside there.

Some of the most common things that may cause them to induce:
1) low fluid levels
2) extremely small/large for gestational age
3) heart rate decelerations
Me: 31
DH: 33
:angel: 5/2005
DS: 2
DD: 1/19/2015 7lbs 9oz, 20.5 in @ 37w1d

MorghanW
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Advice needed: status fundal height growth 40 weeks

Postby Elisawood2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Thank you for your reply. I don't trust fundal height measurements at all. But apparently bump hasn't grown/decreased in size by 1cm.
My last growth scan abdo circumference was 6% measuring 3 weeks behind and femur was 7% measuring 2 and a half weeks behind whilst head was just below the 50%.

I feel a little bit let down by my midwife as all she has done is cause me anxiety when baby has made it to term being small.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully just a small baby!
Xx
TTC #1 for almost 3 years
May 2013 third round clomid (100mg) - BFP!!!!! 6 week scan TWINS!!! Miscarried 6 weeks 4 days :( my little angel babies
September 2013 fifth round of clomid 50mg - BFP - ectopic pregnancy diagnosed November 12th, emergency surgery as tube leaking. Lost right tube and angel baby went to join the others.
No more clomid and waiting for IVF and my rainbow baby
Rainbow baby conceived the month before IVF due to start - miracles do happen
Elisawood2
Friend

Return to Third Trimester