Growth Percentile Drop?

Baby is taking up all available space in your belly. Baby showers and buying things for the nursery are on your mind. Childbirth classes, baby will be here before you know it!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Growth Percentile Drop?

Postby fadetoblack » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 am

Anyone else experience this before? at 20 week sono growth was 50 percentile. At 28 week growth was 51 percentile. At 32 week growth as 37 percentile.

Is this an issue? why can this be happening?
fadetoblack

Re: Growth Percentile Drop?

Postby FrostedFuji » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:41 pm

It doesn't sound like much of an issue to me, but I would definitely ask your doctor if there's cause for concern.

If you're not familiar with how growth percentiles work, this has a pretty concise explanation for anyone who isn't exactly sure what it means: http://www.babycenter.com/0_growth-char ... ts_5251.bc

So realistically, at 32 weeks your fetus is the same size or bigger than 37% of other 32 week fetuses, and smaller than 63%. I would personally consider this within a healthy range, though not knowing exactly what the ranges are I can't speak to how much the drop is between 50th percentile and 37th percentile or what the variability is. That is, it's possible that babies jump around a lot within percentiles so it's not concerning unless a baby is jumping from, say, 85th to 10th percentiles; it's also possible that the percentiles are so close together that it doesn't take much to jump between them.

So armed with this information, I'd talk with your OB/midwife to learn the context and see if there's cause for concern. But if nobody has brought it up as an issue, I wouldn't be too worried; there's a good chance this could be relatively common and nothing to be concerned about :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Re: Growth Percentile Drop?

Postby SarahCHW » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:41 am

My guess is that they see this all the time and thats why they didn't bring it up with you. I'd still ask because I'm one of those needy patients who likes everything explained :)
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Third Trimester