C-section pain managment

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

C-section pain managment

Postby slayergrl99 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:48 am

Hey ladies,

I have a planned c-section for Thursday.. My question is how long did you take the pain medication for and what did they have you on? I mean total pain management, even tylenol. From right after they took out the Epi to when you were drug free?
I may not have ended up where I wanted to be, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be. - Terry Pratchett
slayergrl99
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Kiinu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 am

It's not as bad as everyone made me think. Even my nurses were trying to give me more meds than I needed.

I got a spinal block at 9:15am-ish
Was in recovery by 9:45am
Got the shots in the butt for pain the first 24hrs
then Motrin every six hours on the dot for a few days
Motrin every 7-8 hours by the day I left (6 days pp)
and I only went through one of the huge bottles.. so.. til about 12days pp I took it on a need basis.. once or twice a day.

I probably would have stopped sooner but nobody mentioned to me that my staples should have been removed the day after I left. I was taking the painmeds for the tugging feeling from those. Not actual incision pain. They were in until I was 2wks pp

But then there are some women who had a rougher time than me and needed more meds and more time. it's all totally normal but this was my experiance
Kiinu
Star Member
Star Member

Postby slayergrl99 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:47 am

Thanks, Kiinu. My cousin just told me the same thing. My doc (and the hospital) don't give opiates/narcotics because of the affect on the bowels to patients who have had abdominal surgery.

So... I'm glad to hear that.
I may not have ended up where I wanted to be, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be. - Terry Pratchett
slayergrl99
Addicted
Addicted

Postby JenAsh3 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:33 am

I had my spinal @ 2:30. As soon as the baby was out, they gave me a shot of morphine. Then they gave ibuprofen 800mg every 8 ours for the 1st 24.
After 24 hrs, they gave ibuprofen 400 every 4-6 hrs as needed. I think I took it about every 5 hrs while in the hospital. Continued taking it *as needed*(which was appx 2x/day) for about 1 week.
I could also get hydrocodone every 4 hrs IF I wanted it. I did take it a few times starting the 1st night, but only about every 6-8 hrs. And didn't take any of that after we came home from the hospital.
Jen
A&D 12/12/07
P 10/6/09
JenAsh3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby imdesired » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 am

Obviously every hospital is different.

But, I had a spinal at 7:20 with Duramorph. A long lasting morphine (about 18-24hours)
Was in recovery by 7:50
Was completely pain free until about 4am the following morning, when they gave percoset every 5 hours or so. And even then it wasn't THAT bad.
GL!
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby brenjay » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am

I had an epidural in the very last bit of my labor, they switched the drug they had in it for the c-section.

I believe they did a morphine bolus right after the section, which is supposed to last 24 hours.

After that, I was given tylenol plus codeine on demand for my pain, I believe they let me have up to two pills every six hours, but I never needed that much. I was on that (usually one pill every 6-8 hours) for about a week.

I continued to take ibuprofen off and on for another two weeks after that.

So by three weeks, I wasn't on any pain management at all, and also not in any pain.

If you get any opiates at all, it will make you constipated. They will give you stool softeners to counter this effect. TAKE THEM. Seriously - I cannot stress this enough - take them for at least two weeks after the section.

I had a very unwanted c-section, too (labored for 42 hours to try to avoid it, even). But overall, my recovery was very easy - much better than I thought it would be.

The best thing you can do is to take enough pain meds to be mobile, and then walk around. A lot. Early and often, at least once or twice the day after surgery, and a few times every day in that first week. And work hard to stand up straight. It won't feel great, but everyone who has done this will tell you - it is essential to your fast recovery.

Good luck.
brenjay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:01 pm

I delivered at the same hospital as Laura (imdesired). So I had the same pain meds. I had what I thought was a lot more pain, but didn't realize that it was from not pooping. I was severely constipated. Once I finally had a good bowel movement the pain dramatically decreased. I took the percocet for about 5 days, then I was only taking Ibruprofen. I took that for about 2 weeks before the pain was managed without anything.

I found that as long as I took my meds on schedule, the pain was managed very well. I only waited once and let the pain come back and that was the first day. I would suggest not waiting until the pain is unbearable before taking more meds. Take them on schedule at least for the first few days!
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Amidala » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 am

I had a planned C-section on 8-28-09 because my baby was breech. I had the section at 8am and I was 39w 1d.

I received a spinal and I think a shot of Novocain beforehand to help with the pain of the spinal injection. While I was in the recovery room, I started to shake really badly (a side effect of the spinal) and I was given Demerol in my IV.

When I got back to my room, I was given another shot of Demerol a few hours later when the spinal started to wear off and I started feeling some major pain. Besides the incision pain, I was also on a Pitocin drip to contract my uterus and that felt like period cramps times 1000. :-) However, after a few doses of the Demerol, I told them not to give it to me any more, because I got totally high off of it and was having imaginary conversations and couldn't focus. ;-)

Once my catheter and Pitocin IV were out, they began to give me Percocet on demand in pill form. I requested it about every 4 hours. They tell you to ask for more BEFORE the pain comes back in full force, or the next dose won't be as effective. This worked great for the abdominal pain (it's very hard to turn at first and sit up, etc). I was on this until I left the hospital, and I was in there for five days.

When I left, my doctor gave me a prescription for Oxycodone, but I only took it two times, because it destroyed my appetite and I was afraid that if I didn't eat, it would hurt my milk supply.

After I stopped taking that, I didn't take anything else -- not even Tylenol. I still had some pain, but I felt okay enough not to take anything. Tylenol generally does nothing for me anyway, so I saw no point in taking it.

So I would say that I was drug free seven days after I had the c-section.

Good luck with your c-section! I'm sure you'll do fine. It was not as bad as I feared it would be. All the things I was scared of didn't hurt at all. :-)

KUP!
Amy (33) DH (37)
m/c on 6/9/08 @ 8 wks
BFP on 12/28/08 @ 18 DPO!
Aubree Eden born via c/s at 8:04am on 8/28/09!
7lbs 13oz @ 39w 1d

"My heart will be the bridge that you walk over..." -- Natalie Imbruglia

Amidala
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby pearlygirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Well... to start off my epidural didn't take, and neither did the spinal any of the 4 times they tried it, so they knocked me out for the procedure.
When i woke up I had already been given a dose of morphine, but I had 2 more doses that night within 5 hours or so. After that they switched me to Percocet and Toradol (an anti-inflammatory like motrin but stronger) so I took 2 percocets and 1 toradol every 6 hours. After the first day I started moving around more and needed less percocet so i dropped down to 1 tablet.

**I have to note that at this point i was in more pain from the multiple spinal attempts than i was from the incision, and wicked constipated..

For 3 days i took the percocet and toradol, then the day i was released from the hospital i picked up my prescriptions (I was given percocet, toradol, ibuprofen and tylenol). After that i took 1 percocet when i woke up with stiffness/pain in the morning and then regular tylenol a couple of times per day. This went on for maybe 3 more days until i was taking only tylenol. By 1 week after the section I needed no pain medication and was back on my feet running errands, climbing stairs and doing all the stuff they tell you not to do.
Ayo: 25
DH: 28
DD1: 2.5 years
DD2: 16 months
pearlygirl
Angel
Angel

Postby kali74b » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 pm

They gave me a morphine right after and then percocet and Ibuprofen then I stopped taking the morphine because I was hallucinating and they gave me tylenol w/codeine on demand. I asked for the meds to be given to me every 4hours. I was in the hospital for 4 days and I took the meds the entire time. When I left they gave me a script for both....I continued them for 3 days then dropped the tylenol....and only took the ibuprofen twice a day for another week and was done.

I was up and walking the day of my c-section and everyone told me that if it was not in my chart they would not believe that i had a c-section.

My advice is while in the hospital take the meds on time....don't try to wait it out, you can do that at home...you need your rest.

Another thing that noone told me.......after my c-section in the recovery room I got really really itchy....I had DH use the comb they give you and scratch my back.....i told the nurse and they gave me benadryl in the IV......the next day I looked at my back and it was all scratched up bad...it was unreal but at the time I kept saying harder......i was so itchy.
kali74b
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby slayergrl99 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks for all ya'll advice...

As it turned out, the hospital DID offer morphine. And I couldn't take it.

They put it in my epidural, and I spent the first 15 minutes of my c-section vomiting, and the first 2 hours out of the c-section itching like a mo-fo. I never got the constipation, but my LORD... The itchies.

The first night, my pain meds ran out (and they couldn't give me more) at 2am. I had to wait until 4am until I could get more. I was in SO much pain, I was crying. My husband's cousin and I shared a room (whole 'nother story..) and she could hear me and felt so bad (She had a natural birth, but was still hurting). They ended up giving me a super low-dose morphine injection just to tide me over. The second night it happened again, but they switched my IV to a paracetamol/ibprofen mix, which lasted much longer (I was only in moderate pain for about 1/2 an hour). However, I still couldn't move much. It just kept it from hurting even when I didn't move.

All in all, not fun. I'm still having issues laying on my sides, but the OTC stuff doesn't touch it, so 9 days PP and I'm pretty much med-free. Incision just aches all the time. :( For some reason, my doc isn't taking my stitches out until 3 weeks PP. No clue why, the hospital was even confused.
slayergrl99
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Earthmomma » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm

My hospital DIDN'T offer morphine, i didn't take anything stronger then a Tylenol, they offered me Vicodin but i cant take codeine...ugh.

The walking around after the Csection sucked, i wish i could of had some morphine then,i hope your doing better though :)
ME:23 :love: DH:26 Married 5 years
DS- 3 Years
DD-3 Months
Non CIO,Non-Vax,Homeopathic/Natural Healing,ERF,Gentle Disciplining Mama.
Earthmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TXlonghorn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:00 am

I only took Advil afterwards and was walking around 12 hours afterwards. I felt so good they let me go home 30 hours post op. For me it was very easy.
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
TXlonghorn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby J_blackrose » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:24 am

Gosh I feel like a wimp now. I was on so much pain meds it wasn't even funny. But I was having tons of issues with pain and it was the lesser of two evils.

Definally get up as soon as they will let you. I am 4 days post postpartum now and walking around pretty good. Still a little unstable at times but feeling much better. Once I get the staples out I am gonna wrap my belly. I am hopping it really helps with the unstable of my Back and Abs.
Beta 1664 at 4w2d
Beta 3683 at 4w4d
heard the :hb: at 8w0d

december 15, 2009
7lbs 11oz 19 inchs long
J_blackrose
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TXlonghorn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:36 pm

I think maybe because I didn't get any internal or external staples. My incision is really small (maybe 6 inches?) and I just have internal stitches and glue on the outside.
Kristen (me) ~ 28 | DH ~ 31
BFP 2/21/08 on 7th cycle of Clomid
Michael "Mr. M" was born 10/28/08! :babyb:
Surprise BFP on 4/4/09! Bradley "Boo Radley"
was born 11/20/09
TXlonghorn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Fourth Trimester