Spitting up

Fourth you ask? Your body is still full of pregnancy hormones as you adjust to life sleep-deprived with your new baby outside your womb.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Spitting up

Postby Syrahfina » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:27 pm

My baby boy is two weeks old and has been staying with us in our bedroom in an arm's reach co sleeper next to the bed.

He's been spitting up at night, but since he's right next to us, I've been able to wipe it up.

Well, I am starting to want to put him down at night in his own crib in the nursery, but am struggling with what to do if he spits up---obviously I won't know if he does and the thought of him sleeping with spit up dripping down his neck disturbs me.

Can anyone offer advice or their experience on how to handle this issue?

Thanks!
Me (Sarah)-30 DH (Peter)-37
DS1--Born November 7, 2009 after 2.5 years TTC
Baby #2 conceived first cycle! Amazing! Due August 13, 2011
Syrahfina
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mspretty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:31 pm

We have issues w/reflux so Cyan spits up alot and we are afraid to leave her alone she's a month old and still sleeps w/us. I'm just scared she could choke 8O There are some positioners to put inder the crib matress to elevate him which might help.
Me 26
DH 33
BFP 2/25/2009, 20DPO on DH B-Day!!!
1st :hb: 179 at 8wks 4days YAY!!
:hb: at 11wks 6days
:hb: 154 at 16wks 1 day
Baby Cyan Marie EDD 10/29/2009
Furrybaby 5 Chihuahua
Furrybaby 2 Chihuahua

ImageImage

ImageImage
mspretty
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby junior07 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 pm

We are having the same issues. I put her to sleep on her side in a sleep positioner but she always rolls to her back and I am SO scared she will choke. This afternoon I picked her up from her nap and she had spit up and it was all caked in her hair and on her neck and clothes. I felt SO bad for her.
I hate spit up! My son had it until he was about 6 months old. Can't wait for it to be gone.
Me - 35 DH - 36 DS - 5
It's a GIRL!

Lexie born October 6, 2009!
junior07
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MotoX Mom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I know this post is old, but I was worried about the same thing with DD when we first brought her home. She would burp good after feedings, but waited SO long before spitting up (like 1/2 hr at least). So she would do it in the crib. I noticed she always turned her head to the side. Sometimes now (that she is older), it will come up and she will swallow it i think. I HATE this, i feel so bad for her :( but it happens so fast, i dont know what to do!

Me 42, DH 34, Happily Married 7 years
Proud and grateful to be a SAHM to our precious girl!

2009 IVF#1
MotoX Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2nicholaspatrick » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm

moto - my son is spitting up too. we tried changing his formula and doc just started him on zantac....i am praying this works
ImageImage
ImageImage
mom2nicholaspatrick
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Bee-Jeweled » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:44 pm

yup - spit up is pretty normal that young. my DD still spits up once in awhile and she's 5 months old. they will turn their head to the side if they spit up though so don't worry too much about it. you can try to prop your LO up a bit by putting something under the end of the mattress near their head.
Bee-Jeweled
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mom2abandkb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 pm

you will not believe this but we figured out that problem.

We put the head part of the crib on the highest level and the foot part at the lowest level, so that the entire mattress is tilted. We swaddle her and put her on her side in the wedge. We also put thick paper towels we got from the hospital over a burpy cloth underneath her where her mouth is in case she does spit up.

So when she does spit up, it goes right onto the cloth and she can't aspirate it back in and also it doesn't get all over her clothes.

Now if we can solve the reflux issues it would be a perfect world lol.
Lisa-37 dh-33 dd-6
Kiran 8/17/09 2lb 7oz, 14.5 (pre e,HELLP, vp)
Hernia surgery 11/5/09,G tube 7/24/10
130 days NICU- reflux,hypotonia,ptosis,2 meds 2x/day
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kirangoel
Imagehttp://www.marchforbabies.org/MODWalkforKiran
mom2abandkb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Fourth Trimester